66 L-69 Tri-Carb Id, PVC, Power brake vac

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2012, 03:36 AM

66 L-69 Tri-Carb Id, PVC, Power brake vac

I have a few questions about the 66 L-69 Tri-Carb option. Other than the venturi size difference center carb (primary) 1-3/16" end carbs (secondaries) 1-5/16" is there any thing else that can positively identify them? It looks like the PVC hose connects to the end carburetor, but I can not tell for sure. Where do I connect the vacuum hose for the power brake booster the assembly manual shows at the back of the front carb on the drivers side just above the base plate. It also shows a bracket that this hose passes through which looks like it is bolted to the valve cover any idea where I can find one or is it easy to fabricate. I would also like to be able to identify the glass fuel bowl I believe the part number is GF-442. I appreciate any help with these questions. Thanks

Last edited by Chuck_66; February 12th, 2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old February 14th, 2012, 10:07 PM

I think I have the answer to the PVC hose it connects to the back side of the middle carburetor at the base plate. I was told the power steering booster vacuum line should connect to the front of the middle carburetor base plate.
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Ben

The end carbs are totally different, the base plate has thicker throttle blades to prevent vacume leaks when they are sealed. THey don't have idle adjustments, and don't have ported vacume ports on the bowl body. Throttle arms are also totally different.

PCV does not connect to the carbs at all, it connects to one of the manifold ports on the intake manifold itself behind the center carb.
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:39 AM

Thanks Ben so no vacuum lines will go to the front or rear carburetors. The throttle arm and I also believe the bellcrank assembly are different. Do you know if someone is making reproduction throttle arms and bellcranks?

Last edited by Chuck_66; February 15th, 2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Trying to remember member

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=26

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=26

Wild About Cars. http://wildaboutcars.com. An information supersource, especially Oldsmobile. More Olds content than anywhere else on the internet and continuing to grow.
You'll find Chassis Service Manuals, Product Information Manuals (AKA Assembly Manuals), Inspector's Manuals, and other documents that will contain this and much much more.
Dealer Brochures, magazine ads and articles, and a home page for you online with your own garage where you can show off what you have.
Free to join, free to learn.
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:05 AM

Please read the installation instructions in W Machine's post above. I have never seen a Tri Carb manifold drilled and tapped for vacuum, and I have had many of them, from cars with PS, etc. The hoses connected to elbows with 1/8" NPT fittings to the carb base plates. The glass bowl fuel filter is part of a correct, original restoration but risky from the standpoint of fuel leaks from it and the fittings.
Old February 15th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Ben

I stand corrected!
I've only messed with the one, and it had the two ports drilled in the manifold. I incorrectly assumed (as did whoever drilled them) that they were the same as the pontiac one which had two ports in the same place.

thanks!
Ben
Old February 15th, 2012, 09:28 PM

Thanks for all the information I should have the manifold and carburetors by next week and will post photos.
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:15 AM

The PDF files are great thanks wmachine that helped a ton.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:46 AM

I received my Tri-Carb setup today. Apparently there are two different base plates for the front carb with and without a power brake vacuum port located on the back side. The PVC port is on the back of the middle carb base plate. For accessories such as power trunk release or console mounted vacuum gauge the vacuum port is on the back of the rear carb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0161.jpg (82.7 KB, 37 views)
DSC_0162.jpg (82.6 KB, 33 views)
DSC_0164.jpg (70.3 KB, 32 views)
DSC_0165.jpg (27.1 KB, 34 views)
DSC_0166.jpg (21.6 KB, 33 views)
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:03 AM

I recommend not using teflon tape. The seal is at the double lap flare of the tubing anyway. You can grease the threads a little if you wish. The 3/8" line going down to the fel pump should have 45 deg. bends at both ends, as in my photos on your other Tri Carb thread.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:42 PM

Thanks run to rund it appears that both the fuel lines going to the filter are bent different than yours are these anything special or can I get them at NAPA. I purchased this car a month before winter and it has been in storage since not a whole lot of room in the garage and I don't work in the cold unless absolutely necessary. Hopefully this weekend will be warm enough for me to get the bellcrank off.

Last edited by Chuck_66; February 23rd, 2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:56 AM

You can bend your own after cutting NAPA lines to length, or get them from Mike Siedlik (sorry, I don't have contact info). One of the two bottom lines in my photo on the other thread is home made, the other OEM (the one without red plastic cap).
Old February 23rd, 2012, 07:59 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
You can bend your own after cutting NAPA lines to length, or get them from Mike Siedlik (sorry, I don't have contact info). One of the two bottom lines in my photo on the other thread is home made, the other OEM (the one without red plastic cap).
Mike's webpage:http://www.thegoodoldsdays.com
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the information. I give Mike a call he is in the process of having several parts reproduced for the Tri-Carb carburetor rod, bellcrank, fuel bowl top, fuel bowl bail and all the fuel lines. When they come in he will post them on his site or send him a e-mail at olds@megavision.com and he will notify you when he receives them.

Last edited by Chuck_66; February 24th, 2012 at 02:17 PM.