1970 442, rolling again!

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2018, 02:38 PM

1970 442, rolling again!

I haven't posted anything on since 2016 when I rolled it out of my parents garage to wash it and rolled it back in. My kids (15 year old twin daughters) have been bugging me "Dad, when are you going to get the 442 running", so after sitting in the garage for 15 years (long story) I finally got off my butt and had it towed to my mechanic this past Monday. He called me the next day and said "you waited one year too long, the engine is seized up." After my heart sank through the floor he said "just kidding, I just test drove it around the block!" What a kidder! Anyway he got new fluids in it, plugs, coil, etc. and I drove it home today. Needs some paint work, but, at least I can drive it to a body shop now!

I have had the car since I was 16 (1984) and there is a lot more information available now, thanks to this great forum and all the knowledgeable and helpful enthusiasts here. From what I have learned here I have determined that the engine and transmission are original (good!), and that the 34 34 paint code indicates the Reef Turquoise color which I have always loved. When I bought the car in '84' it had hubcap wheels which I assumed were original. I added the argent SSII wheels, but I now see that that the stickers on the inside of the trunk indicate that the car probably came with "specialty wheels" from the factory. Sorry, no OAI hood! No W-30! Crazy! (broadcast card does confirm the bench seat column shift delete option though!)

Anyway, just a few pictures to say hello. Thanks to all!
Old August 30th, 2018, 04:49 PM

1970 442, rolling again!

I am trying this again so I hope I haven't posted twice...

I last posted in 2016 when I rolled it out of the garage, washed it and rolled it back in. I have owned the car since 1984 (I was 16, time flies!), and things happen and by and by it ends up sitting in my mom's garage for the past 15 years (long story) and has not been started or driven. My 15 year old twin daughters have been bugging "dad, when are you going to get the 442 running". I finally got motivated and had it trailered to my mechanic this Monday, He called Tuesday and said, "You waited a year too long, the motor is seized up" About the time my heart hit the floor he added "just kidding, I just took it for a test drive around the block." What a comedian! So, he put in fresh fluids, plugs, condenser, coil, starter, etc, and I drove it home today. NICE! Took me 20 minutes to fill it with gas because folks kept coming over and asking me about it.."nice 442 mister"

Thanks to all the kind and knowledgeable enthusiasts here I have determined that it has the original engine and transmission and that the 34 34 cowl code indicated the Reef Turquoise color that I like so much. It has hubcap wheels on it when I bought it back in '84' which I assumed were original. I added the argent SSII wheels. I now see that it has the "F85 SPECIALTY WHEEL" sticker inside the rear deck lid so, from what I have gathered here, it would appear that it did have some type of SS wheels on it originally. Sorry, NO AOI hood! NO W-30! I hear on these threads that metal hood non W 442s are getting scarce! The Broadcast Card does confirm the automatic bench seat shift on the column delete option. Go figure.

Thanks to all and have a good one.

Aaron

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180830_153229.jpg (441.0 KB, 80 views)
20180830_153258.jpg (456.4 KB, 71 views)
20180830_152421.jpg (201.7 KB, 69 views)
Old August 30th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice story. I would have been crushed too if that engine was seized. Your mechanic has a nasty sense of humor. I'm guessing with C60 your car also has the TH400 that the girls will be able to drive one day? Love that color BTW.

AK1 = Deluxe Seatbelt Option
Old August 30th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yup, double posted. I'll get a mod to merge your threads.

The Broadcast card confirms the Bench seat. It does not confirm shift on the column delete. How do you figure that?
Old August 30th, 2018, 05:28 PM

I wondered about the double post. Sorry! It is the same thing twice so maybe delete one!

As for the broadcast card, I am a neophyte, so go easy on me. I thought A52 was the bench seat, and was thinking the C60 was the automatic transmission, but I was wrong, it it the code for air conditioning. My bad. So am I correct in my belief that because it is an original bench seat car with the original matching number OG transmission it have to be a column shift because you couldn't get an automatic floor shift with a bench seat?
Old August 30th, 2018, 05:35 PM

That is a very nice car. Love the color. Have fun.
Wayne
Old August 30th, 2018, 05:51 PM

I love the color too, glad to hear you have her back on the road. Enjoy!
Old August 30th, 2018, 06:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rimfirerifle
I wondered about the double post. Sorry! It is the same thing twice so maybe delete one!

As for the broadcast card, I am a neophyte, so go easy on me. I thought A52 was the bench seat, and was thinking the C60 was the automatic transmission, but I was wrong, it it the code for air conditioning. My bad. So am I correct in my belief that because it is an original bench seat car with the original matching number OG transmission it have to be a column shift because you couldn't get an automatic floor shift with a bench seat?
Whooaa!
Ok, at least you have the A52 Bench seat and C60 figured out. The option for AC also puts a restriction on the axles and option for SMT. In your case,you are correct that with the A52 you would have to have the column shift.
Rather than type everything out, I'll put some info here from 1970 SPECS and promo literature to help you out. You'll see that the base transmission is the 3 sp HD with Hurst shifter.

Old August 30th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Administrator

I merged your 2 threads. Very nice car, now get off here and take the girls out for some ice cream.
Old August 30th, 2018, 08:47 PM

Very nice looking car,your only a few hours away!
Old August 31st, 2018, 02:24 AM

Nice to see a survivor. Nothing like a true musclecar to take you back in time. Nice story, glad you kept it. Lots of people are still kicking themselves for selling their musclecars back in the 70's and 80's.