The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi 72 Cutlass owner again in PA

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2010, 12:24 PM

Hi 72 Cutlass owner again in PA

Hi all, just became the owner of a 1972 Cutlass Supreme Holiday Coupe again after a few years of dreaming of one again. Picked up a very solid 49K orig mile car here in PA. It is Pinehurst green, green top, green interior, 350 with a bit of a cam in it. Just started working on the car now to transform it to look like my first 72 Cutlass purchased new in 1972. It was Baroque Gold, black top, and black interior. In the teardown we have found a little rust in the trunklid and bottom of the fenders but nothing major. Removed the weathered top over the weekend and most of the trim.

Im sure you will be seeing me around on here a lot as I redo this car. Seems like a very informative forum from the little i have looked at it.

Old April 13th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! She looks nice! The Prettiest One is Pinehurst Green too! Be quiet guys.... I like it! You're already tearing her down and going to change her color? The new color sounds nice. I'm sure she will be beautiful!

The Prettiest One would look so bare without her stripes!
Old April 13th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO, glad to have you here.
Old April 13th, 2010, 03:57 PM

Thanks! I must say the first time i saw it i couldnt stand the green but it has grown on me. It has been repainted and the paint is cracking and it needs redone to be perfect. So i figure it will never be a show car so if it needs paint why not go with the color mine was.
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Registered

Welcome another greenest one.

I would change the color too.

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Welcome to our site! She looks nice! The Prettiest One is Pinehurst Green too! Be quiet guys.... I like it! You're already tearing her down and going to change her color? The new color sounds nice. I'm sure she will be beautiful!

The Prettiest One would look so bare without her stripes!
Bare? She could go streaking then, lookee that, lookee that.

Stripes on the ground
Stripes on the ground
A hair dryer would put them stripes on the ground.
Ain't lookin' like a chebby with her stripes on the ground.
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:47 PM

Welcome, a perennial favorite.
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by stcsawdust
........Picked up a very solid 49K orig mile car here in PA. It is Pinehurst green, green top, green interior, 350 with a bit of a cam in it. Just started working on the car now to transform it to look like my first 72 Cutlass purchased new in 1972. It was Baroque Gold, black top, and black interior. In the teardown we have found .........
While you're in the teardown stage keep a careful eye peeled for broadcast sheets and if you're super lucky....a build sheet. These things are usually tucked behind door panels, under seats or carpet, under parcel shelf, on top of gas tank. They will go a long way to documenting your car.

Congrats on your new Olds. After 37 years, I'm sure it's no surprise to find the rust. There's lots of repair panels available for the car though. Is this a survivor car?? That would be so cool if it also has the original protecto plate and warranty cards etc.

PS: You might have to hide your car from Cutlassgal. She might be looking for a stable mate for her Prettiest One.

Good luck on your project
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Welcome another greenest one.

I would change the color too.

Bare? She could go streaking then, lookee that, lookee that.

Stripes on the ground
Stripes on the ground
A hair dryer would put them stripes on the ground.
Ain't lookin' like a chebby with her stripes on the ground.

Excuse me sir... I know where you live now, remember??

You leave her stripes alone!!
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:43 PM

Hi welcome to the site. Nice car.
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:48 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hi welcome to the site. Nice car.
x2

Definitely post pics as you progress, all of us here like to see them.
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

You leave her stripes alone!!
Yeah!! Her stripes make her unique??? You know what that means right? When she's not lookin, "you neak" up on her and surprise her! groooaann....

Actually Sandy, I have plans to put the W29 hood stripes on my car too. I think they look really cool. BTW are yours painted on or are they decals?
Old April 14th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Cutlass Lover

Well hello there Allan R! How are you?? You need to be workin on your humor.... I do believe the stripes are decals with clear over them. Stripes will look very nice on your car! Did you see her beautifully painted engine?
Old April 14th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Well hello there Allan R! How are you?? You need to be workin on your humor....
Sandykins, my little Cutlassbunny.......Huh? Whaddaya mean?? my humors as bad as it always was....

[quote=cutlassgal;166661]I do believe the stripes are decals with clear over them. Stripes will look very nice on your car! Did you see her beautifully painted engine? /quote]

I think they will too. The ones I'm putting on are the actual W29 decals. No, I haven't seen the pics of your newly painted engine? Post the link so I can havalook. (That's a Canaidjun word for "peek") Not to be confused with the Eskimo word for "voyeur" which is "tookalook".

Does the fresh paint on the engine make it go faster, or are you more tempted to stop for gas and have someone check the oil just so they will say "Nice engine"??? Hey, you dared me to work on my humor.....
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Cutlass Lover

You never fail to make me laugh!! Cutlassbunny??? LOL!! Here ya go... for your reading and viewing enjoyment!!! Don't know how ya missed it....

The prettiest one's engine gets painted ( 1 2 3)
Old April 14th, 2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
While you're in the teardown stage keep a careful eye peeled for broadcast sheets and if you're super lucky....a build sheet. These things are usually tucked behind door panels, under seats or carpet, under parcel shelf, on top of gas tank. They will go a long way to documenting your car.

Congrats on your new Olds. After 37 years, I'm sure it's no surprise to find the rust. There's lots of repair panels available for the car though. Is this a survivor car?? That would be so cool if it also has the original protecto plate and warranty cards etc.

PS: You might have to hide your car from Cutlassgal. She might be looking for a stable mate for her Prettiest One.

Good luck on your project
Allan, the person I bought it off of has restored a few cars and he told us to look in thoes places for it also, we know its not ontop of the tank he had it out to clean it and it was not there.

Looks like we will not need many rust repair panels, the floors are solid, trunk is good, bottom of the front fenders need looked at along with the bottom edge of the trunklid.

As far as it being a survivor, thats how it was listed in the ad and it is, were the 4th owner, all orig. interior, it has been repainted factory color. As you can see here we have all the paperwork, amazing condition window sticker, (my orig 72 sticker is on the far left), all the paperwork is mint along with the dealer checklist and some dealer paperwork. We just couldnt pass this car up!

Old April 14th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Cutlass Lover

Oh that is so cool!!! I would love to have The Prettiest One's original paperwork. Even just one piece!