The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The prettiest one's engine gets painted

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2010, 06:27 AM
Cutlass Lover

The prettiest one's engine gets painted

......When is the new engine paint thread begin?

I only have one picture to start the thread...... She arrives at Bluevista's house!

The trunk is open so her "suitcase" full of new hoses, clamps, etc.... can be removed, and the "spatter paint" evaluated - which looks to be the correct color and original. No comments about her stripes, please!

To be continued.......
Old April 2nd, 2010, 06:53 AM
Registered

Hey! I can see my house from here!

Larry needs another Mopar Sandy.
That stands for "Move Over, Pontiacs Are Racing".

A thread for this?
All I can say is please "Don't Thread On Me" .

Hood pad??
Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:17 AM
Cutlass Lover

You are funny!! God what a gorgeous day!! What about the hood pad??? Gotta take Nicole to dentist - I'll be baaaachhhh...
Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:20 AM

the story begins......................and then what happens? tune in for the rest of the story
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:57 AM

"Like Sands through the hour glass..........................so are the days of our lives"

Get the Wagner go'in an post sum pic will ya Blue.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:14 AM

I am still waiting for the heater hose clamp restoration thread...
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:47 PM

Sandy, Ya might want to bone up on this
thread. I think Red goat has been nippin again He may have gotten his head caught in de trough again

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-interior.html
Old April 2nd, 2010, 02:11 PM

Blue hasn't chimed in yet. Don't suppose he's hidding from us do you. Or is he hard at work on Sandy's car
Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:40 PM

Me thinks, we're gonna get a before an after with no details

Never did trust a guy who owns a GTO [Gas Tires n Oil]
Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:45 PM
GM Enthusiast

Sandy,

Where's the pictures of the progress? BTW, nice to see you got the prettiest one out of the garage.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
Cutlass Lover

Jamesbo..... good things come to those who wait!! He has to take his time, ya know?? Have patience - I'm sure you'll get to see some pics eventually!! Can't rush progress!

You should see underneath his Goat..... It's as beautiful and clean underneath as it is on top!!!!!! I was impressed!! It was on the lift, so I could see it real well. Damnnnnn!

Hi Darrell!! How are you?? Haven't heard from you for a while! Sorry, but I'm not at his house taking pictures. She's in his garage - no girls allowed - (though I did step in there for just a minute last night), LOL!!

Just be patient!!!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:53 AM

Sandy glad spring has finally sprung how about some pics of your car? Interior? Thx
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:25 AM
Registered

I'm working on an engine, no time to post.

Okay Sandy... the top was clean, it's the original engine for sure going by the decdes of grease build-up.
I checked and the numbers match too.
It came apart okay, Mickey Mouse worked on it at one time so some bolts were only finger tight, same guy who used electrical tape intead of wire wrap tape on the harness and put petrified lines back on.
Ill be scraping grease and cleaning it for a day at least so don't expect to see much progress. I thought when I did the Vista it would be the last time scraping grease off with a putty knife, but now I get to have more fun.
You need a battery hold down clamp, couldn't find one.
Otherwise the only things missing are the tabs too hold the wires on the valve covers, the paint marks are there? Whoever did the PC seals probably lost them with the booster clip thing. I can make a couple with sheet metal but the the plastic loop wire holder clips will have to be gotten, do need one the lift loop too. Don't worry right now, they can be done at anytime, same with the battery deal, I'll make a temporary hold down for now. Not good having the battery rocking and rolling. Otherwise looks good, all came apart with no major drama, some minor drama but what you don't know won't hurt you, no harm no foul.

I have to go the the body shop and check the color spray-outs for the Vista and have a pow-wow with the painter now. I hope this engine is painted painted before my car is or a non-op green Teepo will be sitting outside in the drive.

enginepaint 001s.jpg

enginepaint 003s.jpg
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:58 AM

Watch that belt buckle on the fenders Blue
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
belt buckle.bmp (37.5 KB, 58 views)
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:45 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Nice!

I'll be watching this thread to see if I can pick up any detailing tips

So,what companies gold paint will you be using?

Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:52 AM

Looks good so far!!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:35 AM
Cutlass Lover

Well there's a site I never thought I'd see!! Oh My Gosh! Sorry she's so greasy.... I tried to keep her clean - where I could see and reach, anyhow! Ugly electrical tape and loose bolts too..... the guy should be beat!

I'll have to ask John about more tabs/clips/hooks/holder things and see if he has what she needs. I don't know about "paint marks?? Is that good or bad? Numbers match? Is that what I see you guys talking about on here?? I need to know what battery tie down thing I need??? Is the battery tray the right one? Choices are....

Original Battery Trays and Hold Down Parts:
BT6445
Battery Tray (10” x 6 1/2”) 1964-65 all 49.50

BT6639
Battery Tray (10 3/8" x 7 7/8") 1966-67 all 34.50

BT6875
Battery Tray (10 3/8" x 7 1/4") 1968-72 all 350 & 400 33.50

BT6903
Battery Tray (12" x 7 1/2") 1968-72 all 455 Engine 34.50

BT7577
Battery Tray 1975-77 all Cutlass 44.50

BT7887
Battery Tray (10 1/2” x 6 3/4”) 1978-1987 all Cutlass 34.50

HD6117
Battery Hold-Down 1961-63 F85, 1966-67 all 24.00

HD6478
Battery Hold-Down 1964-65 330 V8 24.00

HD6560
Battery Hold-Down Clamp 1968-72 all 4.95

HD7387
Battery Hold Down 1973-77 all 24.00

GS6560
Engine Ground Strap to Cowl (10 1/2” long) 1965-72 all 8.50

HDB005 Battery Hold-Down Bolt 1961-63 F85, 1966-67 all (2 per car) 6.50 ea

I'm going to order the package tray thingy so I can get a tie down too... mightaswell! I see there's only 1 tie down for the 72 listed, but if the tray is wrong and I order it, then I'm S.O.L.!!!

I'm glad she's not giving you too much trouble. Just threaten her with the MMO if she does!! Is Bluevista or Redgoat working on her?? Or both?

W-30..... Going to be using the Bill Hirsch paint.... it seemed to be closest to what's on her.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:42 AM

Sandy don't over think it. Just wait and Blue or Red can give a list of what you need. Then buy only what you need.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:03 AM

FYI

A package tray goes under the rear window behind the rear seat. When you were a kid you could sleep back there and look at the stars

A battery tray goes under the battery

The bolt goes thru the hold down and clamps the battery to the tray.

Sandy,

Calm down, have a drink and Blue will tell ya what cha need.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:08 AM

Sandy,

Breath deep you are in the hands of Blue/Redgoat. It all depends which one takes over as to how things will turn out. I will pray for you that Blue stays in command.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:23 AM
Registered

Lunch break.

Bill Hirsch engine paint. I still can't remeber why I bought it but that's what it is, supposed to be good stuff. It's more like the original and not real bright gold looking.
You can get a whole new tray if you want but all you need is the clamp Sandy, I got a bolt even. I went and spent some of your money too, needed some more weapons.
Is your house that dirty?
Only kidding, all that is pretty hard to get to with the brackets on.
Underneath your stove and refrigerator must be really yucky.
Only kidding!..No kidding.
The wire holders are the plastic ones that snap together then snap into a hole. Top of the lift loop should have one for the wire to the thing on the manifold in front. Not sure about the ones on the valve covers, they did have a different type, I'll find out because I need one too, black zip ties work too.

I went to the body shop and the paint color is right on. Light metallic blue like original, really looks good.
The guy loves my bodywork and prep, he knows his stuff. They're gong to pull the doors and tailgate and hood now and do the jambs, mightaswell.
I found out how much it's going to cost too, all I can say is Yeeee-Ha!
You save a lot prepping it yourself. enough to buy another one finished already.

The car may be done next weekend so I gots to get my butt in gear so I have a place to put it.
I'll consume grease then off to scrape grease.
I hope a gallon of Purple Power and paint thinner is enough. Daughter Erica works for a dentist so the toothbrushes are free.

I always wear coveralls, no buckle scratches and that car is covered like you wouldn't believe, in this heat coveralls only.

Last edited by Bluevista; April 3rd, 2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:39 AM

I used Bill Hirsch turquoise and it was very close on the Toro and the CC very happy
Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:19 AM
Cutlass Lover

You guys are funny!!! Jamesbo... I know the difference between the two trays, LOL!!! I'm trying not to over think.... I just want to get whatever she needs. And make sure it's "correct"!! Don't want to end up with bread twisties or something, LOL!!

Believe me, she is in the best of hands.. I feel better knowing she's with Blue than I did leaving her at Don Sitts dealership! I'm not a bit worried about her!! He will do a most excellent job with what he has to work with!! He is very careful and picky... which works for me!

I will order the battery hold down clamp... I see some kind of funny looking "Wire Harness Tie Down Strap" on pg. 88 in the Fusicks book - are those the ones that would work?? It says "uses up to 6 per car".

Well, Blue... I'm glad you're gonna be saving some money on your paint job! That's always a good thing! The color sounds very pretty. I bet that guy did like your body work! You do such a good job!!! I'm so excited for you!!! She will be a head turner, no doubt!

Let me know if you need more money.... don't want ya to run out of weapons, sugarpie!! Just be gentle...... and I clean under the stove and fridge really good once a year!! The rest of the time, they just get the old I clean what I can reach job!

*GASP* Oh Lord..... don't let her know what's NOT on under the coveralls!!! A little too much info, there!

Last edited by cutlassgal; April 3rd, 2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: redgoats fault
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
Registered

"The Greasiest One" is a lot less greasy now.
I remember those greaser girls in high school.
You weren't... were you Sandy??

I'll look at the catalog now...
Yep, that's the one for the lift loop. There is a different style for the trans modulator line and vac advance on the right valve cover on mine. It looks like the VCB682 4 speed battery cable type on page 52. That's the type on the right side of mine. Those retainers that go on the valve cover bolts are the ones you need, nicer than aything I could make. Also need just one of those straps. I need one too so I can take it off your hands for a five dollars woof if you want to go that route. The left side is just the wires and I have a tape-on harness clip that will work there, unless you want to get another of the deals on page 88, get a few just in case.

I could post pics but I'm too tired, just no grease on the engine now.
I talked to her plenty today... I apologized.

The worst part is over, any mere mortal or person with half a brain would of said to hell with it and painted the grease in the hidden areas.

Last edited by Bluevista; April 3rd, 2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:25 PM

Ahhhh, but cleaning the grease in those hidden spots before painting is what makes the difference! Next time somebody stands on their head to look under the alternator brackets they won't see paint flaking off due to grease left before painting.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:59 PM
Cutlass Lover

"The Greasiest One" is a lot less greasy now.
I remember those greaser girls in high school.
You weren't... were you Sandy??

I'll look at the catalog now...
Yep, that's the one for the lift loop. There is a different style for the trans modulator line and vac advance on the right valve cover on mine. It looks like the VCB682 4 speed battery cable type on page 52. That's the type on the right side of mine. Those retainers that go on the valve cover bolts are the ones you need, nicer than aything I could make. Also need just one of those straps. I need one too so I can take it off your hands for a five dollars woof if you want to go that route. The left side is just the wires and I have a tape-on harness clip that will work there, unless you want to get another of the deals on page 88, get a few just in case.

I could post pics but I'm too tired, just no grease on the engine now.
I talked to her plenty today... I apologized.

The worst part is over, any mere mortal or person with half a brain would of said to hell with it and painted the grease in the hidden areas.

No.... I wasn't a greaser girl, LOL!!! You crack me up!!

Ok I will order that VCB682 set and some of those strap things with the other items I'm gonna get. Whatever you tell me I need, I will get!

So... are you saying she heard words today that she never heard before, in your conversation with her?

Did she reply " Suh... where I come from such language is considered un-gentlemanly, but I undastand your frustration and therefore accept your kind apology"?
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:13 PM

She's 38 so I would think she has heard them before.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:14 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Oven cleaner works wonders on grease!!!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:22 PM
Registered

How did you know what she said??
I didn't think so but had to ask, the greaser chicks were becoming scarce by the time you were in high school anyway.
I bet you had giant hair though.

Hijacking your own thread.

I almost choked when the body guy said the soon to be blue Vista would be done this weekend or the next at the latest. Asked me if I would help him get his 37 Plymouth ready for paint.
I didn't figure that long to paint the engine but it will take me a week to clean my garage now, it's like a greasy murder scene.
There's a chalk outline around the big spot under the engine.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:50 PM
Cutlass Lover

Well if someone is gonna hijack my thread, it mightaswell be me!!

I'd volunteer to clean your garage, but no girls allowed! And though the engine was nasty where I couldn't get to, I am very picky about my house, and it is clean!!

Chalk lines?? Now I'm a gettin scared......

Sorry to let you down, but I didn't have big hair either.... it's always just been straight and long! You are such a shi*!!!

Gotta go color eggs now.... I already made 5 baskets. Man there's a lot of chocolate around here tonight!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
GM Enthusiast

Sandy,

Glad to hear that Blue is helping you! Been really busy but I did find time to upgrade my steering. Have been coloring eggs to for the little ones. Happy Easter!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Sandy,

Glad to hear that Blue is helping you! Been really busy but I did find time to upgrade my steering. Have been coloring eggs to for the little ones. Happy Easter!

Helping??

I think I'll do some Bill Hirsch Oldsmobile gold engine paint Easter eggs.

Happy Easter!
Old April 4th, 2010, 04:40 AM
...should get a life....

How about some "in progress" pics Blue? (and don't forget that vanity mirror. Can't put my new passenger side sunvisor up without it)
Old April 4th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Registered

It doesn't look much different other than being partially clean but I'll take some more pics. Hopefully I can get the rest cleaned up today and move on to bigger and better things.
I left my manual in my car and it's at the shop so I'm not sure how it goes back together?
I'll be posting here asking basic CSM questions like a newbie.
"Where's number 1-8-4-3-6-5-7 and 2?? plugs?

Vanity mirror?
In a convertible you'll be blinding everybody in front of you if you flip the visor up with the top down and driving into the sun.
Have to clean bugs off the mirror too.
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Registered Luser

Sandy,
you're in good hands there with Allan.... Hopefully he doesn't take as long to get your engine done as it has been to paint his Vista! Good choice on the Hirsch paint...also, I know you said "don't mention the stripes", but I can't resist....if Blue won't repaint your decklid for you, if you move to Long Island, I'll do it! Can't have her impersonating a Chebby...
Also , Allan, I'm shocked you let a green car in your cave......
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Cutlass Lover

Hey now.... Nothing wrong with a green car!!! Thanks for the offer to get rid of her stripes.... maybe one day!

Yes, she is in the best of hands, no doubt in my mind!!! You all should see his car... I'm tellin ya it's gorgeous!!!! And I wouldn't lie!!

Colonel..... Pay attention now.... You're not getting her mirror!! No... No.. No.

Olds gold Easter eggs!
Old April 4th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Col,

Speaking of hi jacking threads. I've heard on and off over the years about the vanity mirror blinding people when it's on a drop top. Well my 69 442 drop top came with one.So there. I am concious of it's potential danger and don't drive with it in the Up/blind positon when I have the top down. But it came from the factory with it.
Old April 4th, 2010, 03:07 PM

mine too

Old April 4th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Registered

You had to remind me Erik...she is green... Not mine though, even though I feel we have bonded after how close we've been lately.
I have now named her "The Green Slime" after all of the slime I've been cleaning off of her for the last two days straight.
I scraped off the shevy stuff then Purple Power and scubbing and more scraping with whatever fit and worked. After that dried I wiped and scraped off the heavier tough stuff with paint thinner and a choice of weapons. I did the pan too, I know.... I have to wire brush and scotchhbrite then blow it off and prep sol and should be ready for paint.
I'm not taking any more off than I have to, PS pump was a PITA, bad enough I had to take off the thermostat housing off so I could put on the tower clamps. The plugs and didtributor were in originally when they painted it.
The bypass hose looked like a small animal chewed it to length anyway.
Aluminum water pump?

If it were my car I would of pulled the engine to do this. The Prettiest One hasn't been messed with much and the more I clean the better she looks. The starter is original, assembly line paint marks all over the place, suspension looks original, nothing replaced could be encrusted with an inch of grease and dirt amalgam like that in less than 38 years. It's not the engine therefore not my job, putty knife and degreaser and start scraping and wiping, it's easier than the engine, sort of fun to reveal actual cylindrical bar shapes Sandy. Just get ready to spend a lot of time flat on your back working when you decide to do it.
Teepo doesn't have a lot of wear, exhaust manifold locks look original and clean, heat tube shroud is nice, hard lines look real good underneath too, no encrustation.
The booster has a greenish paint mark, steering shaft has an orange red mark, top of the trans by the engine has a red? mark, probably more on the suspension to be found.
Can I take off the hood pad Sandy??????????????????????
How do you keep your hair clean working under that hood???
And black shows everything too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
enginepaint 005s.jpg (108.0 KB, 85 views)
enginepaint 008s.jpg (150.7 KB, 76 views)
enginepaint 009s.jpg (142.7 KB, 58 views)
enginepaint 012s.jpg (144.1 KB, 86 views)
enginepaint 010s.jpg (146.3 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by Bluevista; April 4th, 2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old April 4th, 2010, 05:08 PM

Don't forget to take that dull looking fuel line to the buffing wheel.

Quick Reply: The prettiest one's engine gets painted