General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

took some pics at lunch

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:27 PM
Ben

Cool took some pics at lunch

sun was too bright and messed up most of them, with glare & color washout, but this one turned out pretty cool...

DSC01757-sm.jpg
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:31 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Man it would be a beautiful picture of the trees if that car wasn't in the way!!!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM
Cutlass Lover

There's one for the Olds calendar!!! Beautiful!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:33 PM

Except for that pole in the hood.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:35 PM

What are those parking lights doing all the way to the outside? I have two 66s and both of them have the parking lights farther in. There are some funny plastic things at the outside
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
car guy

Looks great man.

Details drive me crazy so if it was mine whould raise the door a hair to match the body line of the fender then loosen the door moulding and move up a hair to match the one on the fender. You could also drop the moulding a little on the fender to achieve the same thing but you have to remove the fender to do that.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
What are those parking lights doing all the way to the outside? I have two 66s and both of them have the parking lights farther in. There are some funny plastic things at the outside
how about you send me one set of those junky plastic things, and i'll send you these real nice lights, so you can have one of each style...

hell i'll even pay shipping both ways, cause i'm nice like that

j/k (I wish!)
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:39 PM

Looking good Rambow.

Sure have a bunch of armchair critics out there
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:59 PM
Past Administrator

Very nice.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by crzyjef
Except for that pole in the hood.
That can be cropped out. Car sure looks good!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by citcapp
Looking good Rambow.

Sure have a bunch of armchair critics out there

True but alas everyone has a vision...........I like the pic,I can get rid of the pole out the hood................I just hate cars on grass.........there not supposed to be there!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:56 PM

Looks nice Ben!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:13 PM
Getting There

Looking Good Ben
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:14 PM
mobbin in my old school

nice car!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:31 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Heres a 5 minute photo shop for you and I tweaked the colors abit.....Not sure if I like that tho.......also while I was messin in the shop FYI this photo is not good enough to be printed in my calendar......Email the original if you want to submit it,,,,,,,,,,Jerr

Original

DSC01757-sm.jpg

REDO

Last edited by BIGJERR; September 22nd, 2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:56 PM
Ben

wow, i like the retouch with no post!

PM me your e-mail address and i'll send you the full size original one. I hadn't planned to submit it for anything, but if you guys like it thats cool if it makes the cut.

I'd just like to have a hi-res copy of the edited version!

While we are fixing the photo, you could take out the rock chips on my hood if you wanted...

Thanks!

BTW... these are the only other pics that were worth saving, the rest had way too much glare. I think the one i posted earlier was the best of the 3. You can see how much the lighting was messing with my color though... One pic it looks hot pink the other dark burgandy. The in Real life color a light burgandy.

Somehow i don't think the outhouse in the background shot is gonna make any calendar though...

Ben

Last edited by RAMBOW; September 22nd, 2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:23 AM

looks great, hows all those new front end parts feel?
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:10 AM

is it just me or is the pic with the "outhouse" show a different color car?
I really like that second shot.. Looks great.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:16 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by stan 65 cutlass
looks great, hows all those new front end parts feel?
It feels great- nice and tight- I'm still very pleased with myself for doing the whole alignment thing myself at home. I've got at least 1k miles on it since doing the rebuild and see no funky tire wear, and it tracks straight. Disk brakes stop the car great, and straight. I am contemplating getting a booster though. The manual disks stop the car fine, but thinking I'm giving up a lot of comfort without the power booster.

The only thing i'm not thrilled with from the project was the steering box upgrade.

I have a feeling that the box i got was not actually a Jeep grand cherokee box- or had the input valving & t-bar swapped out (the retaining cap on the input shaft is on backwards- which leads me to think it may have been swapped)

It is really tight w/ minimal slop- and it has the better steering ratio- only 2.5 turns lock to lock- But it does not have the increased steering effort that the Jeep Boxes should have.

I have 3 friends who have done this swap, and their steering requires noticeable effort to turn the wheel- mine still has the "pinky" turn feel it did with the original box- and that unfortunatly leaves it with the problem of small movements of the wheel provide instant response- thats a undesireable feature- its the reason there is supposed to be increased effort so you don't accidentally oversteer the car. So i don't have a problem of the car wandering anymore- now i have the problem of moving the wheel even slightly makes the car wobble as the wheels start to turn.

I'll be sourcing another box this winter or I'm considering just sending the one i have out to LEE or Performance Steering Components be built to my specs with a big *** T-bar, but as usual money is tight, and this one Does work & no leaks...so may just leave it for a while...

Ran into some money trouble about 4 months back and I had to sell the BBC 472 motor & components i was planning to put in the car- so For now i'm just happy to still have the car and be able to hop in and cruise it.

On the plus side, now that that motor is gone, i'm back to square one on the drivetrain buildup- so likely over the winter will go back to looking for a 455 block to build. (only went the BBC route because i got the running low mile motor for free)

Last edited by RAMBOW; September 23rd, 2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:42 PM
Getting There

Ben sorry to hear about the cash flow probs...... Car looks great by the way..
Quick question moving stuff outta the shop and this rear section I have for you... I`m thinking of zipping the top off to make it less bulky is this okay or do you want the whole rear of the roof left intact?
Old September 23rd, 2010, 05:10 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by Ranzan
Ben sorry to hear about the cash flow probs...... Car looks great by the way..
Quick question moving stuff outta the shop and this rear section I have for you... I`m thinking of zipping the top off to make it less bulky is this okay or do you want the whole rear of the roof left intact?
Not a problem at all- In fact if you want to - you could cut it down to 3 or 4 inches up from the sides of the filler panel. my sail panels are solid- it just that bottom couple inches and of course the whole filler panel & rear speaker section that i need.

Thanks again for holding onto that for me... Sorry the retrieval plans havn't quite worked out yet...
John was supposed to come down in august for a Race event and bring it down for me, but it didn't happen- but hopefully he'll be coming down for one of our gettogethers in oct or nov.

Money problems seem to be getting better- very shortly after i sold the motor, my wife was able to get a job, so we can now start making headway on our bills that had piled up. Unfortunatly car budget is pretty much gone indefintely... But at least the car is on the road and driveable, so i put in a few $$ for gas here and there and enjoy it :-)