The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The tourist Breakfast lunch, cocktails and dinner game

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2010, 05:25 AM

The tourist Breakfast lunch, cocktails and dinner game

Name anywhere in the world you have been that you would like to go back to to have;

1] Breakfast
2] Lunch
3] Cocktails
4] Dinner

And describe it.

I'll start off by having Breakfast at Snoqualmie Falls outside of Seattle Washington. http://www.snoqualmiefalls.com/

You take a beautiful drive up into the mountains and when you enter the place the aroma of fresh cooked bacon, sausage, and pancakes dripping with honey will knock you down.
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Past Administrator

My wife and I had a second honeymoon in a little cottage town north of here called Excelsior Springs. They have a lot of converted buildings made into bed and breakfast type Hotels and we spent a weekend in one of them that used to be a little church. The building is rock and has the classic style of front door, long center hall to the front area with room for pews on either side, tall vaulted ceilings, stained glass, the whole bit. They converted this area into six, two story apartments where the pews used to be. The rooms had a hot tub and a nice sitting area and the bed was in the top floor overlooking the sitting area. Really nice and romantic.
Anyway, for the morning breakfast on Saturday they served made to order omelets with fruit and other Continental type foods on the sides. This was done in the area that used to be where the preacher and choir would have been, under the tall vaulted ceilings. The thing I remember specifically about the omelets was that they offered smoked salmon ( Lox? ), and some kind of special soft European cheese with fresh spinach and fresh herbs to make the omelet with. I had them make me one that way and it was cool! I think they were latent hippies or something from France. They also had champagne and hot coffee and tea (of course). Pretty nice experience overall.
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Past Administrator

For lunch, I would return to the home where I first ate calf's tongue as a high school kid. I was in an high school exchange program and the host family served it as luncheon meat. That is all I remember about that except that the overall experience was something I would like to do again. I would like to take a vacation in Europe some day.....
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:08 AM

Dinner: "Altitude 95" restaurant at the very top of the Eiffel tower in Paris, followed by a sunset cruise on the river Seine. I did this with my ex GF and I thought it was the most romantic time we ever had.
The windowside table for two we had gave some of the best views. Wine from France was supurb. Food was good, but not unlike other classy restaurants. The elevator ride was fun also.
The cruise was lots of fun - slow with lots of time to absorb the scenery. The jazz music they played on the boat was dorky though - some classical orchestra would have been better.
The best footage I got was of the crimson sunset from behind Notre Dame, and the accidental video of us kissing.
I had made a video of it, mixed with the "Rose" theme from "Titanic". Very heartwarming back then.
The video of course looked better than it was in real life (as always)...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; January 6th, 2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:11 AM

I believe I am going to travel back to the East coast and have Lunch at Howards on Ocracoke Island. I'm having a fresh soft shell crab sandwich loaded with tarter sauce lettuce and tomato and a spicy Bloody Mary. I beleive I am going to have a side of crab claws and fries.
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Cutlass Lover

You sure are gonna be crabby, Jamesbo!!! LOL!
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Cutlass Lover

Rob... Those are beautiful pictures!!! Sounds soooo romantic, too!
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:37 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH Rob, You are quite the Ladies man.

Sandy,
Obviously, you have missed the movie "Taken"
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Cutlass Lover

Obviously!!!
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Breakfast - Crescent Hotel, Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Their breakfast buffet is great!

Lunch - A balcony restaurant on the square, Taos, NM. I can't remember the name but the Nacho Grande is indeed huge!

Cocktails - Diamond Belle Saloon, Durango, Colorado. An interesting piece of western history

Dinner - A Luau on the big island Hawaii. Kalua pig and sooo many other dishes of unknown origin
Old January 6th, 2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Obviously!!!

Here's the trailer to "Taken"

Since you have a teenage daughter, it's a must see. I have been told some colleges are discussing it as there is an on going problem with American girls traveling abroad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pQuNcuk5FE
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:19 AM

Austrilia,

Dinner in the desert near Uluru (Ayers Rock), watching the sun go down.

You are bussed to let off point then you walk on a sandy path several hundred yards over a hill and there in the middle of nowwhere are several tables with white table clothes and a buffett set up complete with waiters, wine, ect. The foods are quite exotic and the view as the sun goes down over Uluru in that clear blue sky is something else. Then the stars come out and the constellations are so much different from home it makes you feel like your on another planet. I will never forget the experience
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:22 PM

I'm having dinner at Taku Lodge in Alaska. A sea plane takes me out of Juneau and files me over Glaciers and ice fields. It lands at the base of Mendenhal Glacier and you dine on Fresh Salomon, baked beans and cole slaw at the base of the glacier.

The salmon is prepared based with a mixture of butter, white wine and brown sugar and cooked on large grills covered with claw marks. At night the Grizzlies come down to rake the brown sugar pieces from the now cool coals and mangle the grill area

http://www.wingsairways.com/flight-and-feast-tour.html
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Evening in Paris

Here is a highly compressed video that I did of our dinner and cruise in Paris. The only regret was WHO I took. I would go again in a heartbeat though.
The original movie is dvd quality & size, but it had to be mashed a lot to post it. It shows only 3 minutes of the first double length movie I ever assembled. I took 8 hours of raw footage and condensed it down to 4. The music, captions and sound effects made it pretty fun to watch, just very time consuming to create & process.
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
Paris2006.wmv (1.06 MB, 7 views)
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Cutlass Lover

Rob... I like your video!!! It's very nice! You do a good job with your pictures and such... you must have a lot of photography experience! Thanks for sharing with us. I put a pic of my camera books with model numbers on my bird thread, if you haven't seen it already. I hope it helps you!

I like your sig pic too!
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:04 AM

Breakfast: 35 years ago at my Grandmother's house in Ga. Her homemade bisquits with butter (She made them big on a cast iron skillet) with a side of grits and a tall glass of ice cold milk.

Lunch: Could be my parents, grandparents, or aunt's houses where a big plate of Southern style vegetables are served with cornbread and unlimited glasses of sweet tea.

Cocktails: I don't drink so I'll substitute a mid afternoon dessert at the Dairy Kurl in Clearwater after a drive to Clearwater Beach in the 442. I'll have a large vanilla cone dipped in caramel please.

Supper: Ruths Chris or Shula's steakhouses in Tampa. My wife and I have had nice Anniversary meals at both places. I'll have a filet with au grautin potatoes on the side. Cheesecake for dessert.
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:19 AM

Sounds Good.

If that ain't good eating ...............grits ain't groceries.

BTW I still make home made biscuits. Those canned "Whomp" things are for the birds.
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

say WHAT?!?!?

them's good eats!!!
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:24 AM

Oh yeah

Dern tooten.
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM

The weather reminded me of a departed friend of White Bear Lake Minn.

I believe in his honor, I shall have cocktails with him.

Tom made a ritual out of making a drink. He kept a hunk of ice in his freezer and would knock off a chunk about the size of two golf ***** with a trout priest, place it in an Old Fashion Glass and pour in some Bourbon and a couple of thimples full of branch water.

He had a drop leaf table against his den wall with one of the leaves down on the wall side and two captains chairs. Many a late afternoon, we'd sit at his house in the captain's chairs an talk and enjoy cocktail.

Tom was like many who during WWII had traveled through Georgia and decided he like the weather better here than the winters White Bear Lake Minn.

A great guy and friend. When he would go into a bar and the bartender would ask for his order, he'd always say,

"Pour me a flagon of Whiskey"
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Cutlass Lover

Jamesbo.... What's a trout priest and a flagon????
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Sounds Good.

BTW I still make home made biscuits. Those canned "Whomp" things are for the birds.
Home made biscuits can't be beat! I can still taste the one's my Grandmother used to make today. I'll take good ol' Georgia & Alabama country cookin' any day over just about anything. It's in my blood
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:58 PM

Home made biscuits. On our last trip south my wife loaded up on King Arthur flour ground just for biscuits. Had to catch them as they floated up from the pan. Fried chicken, cjhicken gravey, home made biscuits. you can make the whole meal in two cast iron skillets. I'm a luck man, wifes a great cook and I am a fair hand at it as well. Rather eat home cookin then any meal out. God no I'm hungry again
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Cutlass Lover

Ummmmm... I love home made biscuits! The closest I get since mom died are the ones from Mr. Chicken!!! LOL! No, I've never made 'em.

She used to make home made bread too, and she would always tear off a hunk of dough, stretch it out, and fry it in the iron skillet in crisco... ummm ummmm! I called them "fat cakes" cause they puffed up. Now I buy the Rhodes frozen bread dough and once in a while I take a loaf and let it raise, then make fat cakes with it!! I like them!
Old January 9th, 2010, 04:32 AM

I been to Seattle for breakfast and Howards for lunch. But for dinner, Morado Bay lower Matecumbe Key Islamorada on the beach with acoustic guitar playing in the background. Lori Lei next door with live band is also good for me. Conch salad and fritters followed by Yellow tail dinner and key lime cheesecake. Rumrunners for drinks
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:43 AM

Boys the Keys are looking very pretty good given the weather. I'd even settle for Dry Tortugas Move over Dr. Mudd we're on our way
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:57 AM

Just got back from Keys and it is cold there but not like here. I am going back !! 26 here in Southport now. Just too damn cold for an old man like me.