Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Tire and wheel upgrade 68 Cutlass Resto Modish

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2023, 02:42 PM

Tire and wheel upgrade 68 Cutlass Resto Modish

I’ve read through a few of the posts, including the sticky above and don’t see a lot of information for the 68 Cutlass.

Not sure what other years apply here with respect to similar suspension and ride height geometry. 68-72?

Although my car is a resto mod somewhat. I have all QA1 suspension with adjustable coil overs, QA1 sway bars and tubular QA1 A-Arms front/back.

I am thinking about going with a Vision Daytona wheel which is 17 x 8 with 4.5 inch backspacing with 0 offset on 255/50 17 tires (27.04” diameter 10.04” width)

My end gearing objective is to have a 27 inch diameter tire. I know the QA1 kit lowers the front, as if it had the 2 inch drop spindles, but it is very adjustable front and back.

Will these tires fit the rim and will they - most likely - fit the car? I don’t want to have to make modifications to the body and be able to turn lock to lock without any interference. Just want a good looking set of meaty tires and rims to fill out the wheel wells nicely.

Anybody out there running a similar suspension?
Old May 8th, 2023, 03:09 PM

Could you borrow ONE mounted tire and wheel like you want for a couple hours from a friend ? Of course the bolt hole pattern should be the same as yours. Bolt it the rear, put it on the ground and run your fingers and hand around the inside and outside of the tire. You'll know in two minutes how much clearance you have. Do the same thing on the front, except you may have to turn the wheels from lock to lock to check possible "rub". .
Old May 8th, 2023, 03:21 PM

Hey Ralph, thanks for the idea. I don’t know of anybody who has that specific tire / rim size. Plus, my body is off of the frame right now. Need to get the frame rolling in the next few days to get it over to the body shop. My stock 14 inch rims / tires won’t work after the 4 wheel disc brake upgrade.
Old May 8th, 2023, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle
Hey Ralph, thanks for the idea. I don’t know of anybody who has that specific tire / rim size. Plus, my body is off of the frame right now. Need to get the frame rolling in the next few days to get it over to the body shop. My stock 14 inch rims / tires won’t work after the 4 wheel disc brake upgrade.
I tried to do that measuring thing without a wheel and tire. You can get a rough idea, but you want to know if its a perfect fit. I finally got a 325/50-R15 and mounted it on one of my wheels. Sliding my hand around the inside of the tire told me there was adequate clearance.

Look around for someone to rent you a tire and wheel for an afternoon.

You may have to borrow some 15" tires and wheels for the body shop trip.
Old May 8th, 2023, 04:37 PM

Thanks again Ralph. I appreciate the suggestions.

Anybody have a 68 Cutlass Coupe with the QA1 or similar suspension as posted above.