Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

correct Argent paint for 68 Super Stock II wheels.

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2019, 10:19 AM

correct Argent paint for 68 Super Stock II wheels.

Question: they are many Argent paints for 68-72 Super Stock II wheels on the market and of course everyone claims that theres is the correct one but who really does sell the correct one? Fusicks, Inline Tube and Thornton look like the best ones but at a maximum of $23.00 plus $8.00 shipping per can i want to know for sure. Anyone that as have experience with them?
Old September 26th, 2019, 12:46 PM
Randy C.

I used SupercarsUnlimited SSII wheel paint, part number 52-216, for my niece's '68 4-4-2 and it looked darn close to me. It comes in 12oz spray cans. Supercarsunlimited deals solely with Oldsmobile Cutlass/4-4-2. Check their on-line catalog at supercarsunlimited.com for price.

Randy C.
Old September 26th, 2019, 06:38 PM
1968 442 Convertible

Randy is that the gray or silver version? I'm told 68-70 used more of a silver and later years a darker gray color. If the lighter silver color, is that the same as used on the fender fillers and deck lid molding?
Old September 26th, 2019, 06:59 PM
Randy C.

It's the gray version for the SSII wheels. I used the lighter version (I think I got the lighter version through Year One) for my trunk lid molding.
Randy C.
Old September 26th, 2019, 07:52 PM

50 shades of Grey

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
It's the gray version for the SSII wheels. I used the lighter version (I think I got the lighter version through Year One) for my trunk lid molding.
Randy C.
That is exactly what i was wondering myself which Gray was used in 1968 as i will be painting a total of 10 Super Stock II wheels 5 are 14" and the other 5 are 15" of which one of the wheels still as the original (lighter Silver original paint) the other 4 are black as they were off of a 78 Cutlass . I plan on installing the 15" wheels once a wear out the tires on the 14" tires.
Old September 26th, 2019, 10:15 PM

I used Fusicks Argent Grey on the wheels for my '69. I pulled the original spare wheel out of the trunk for comparison, and it was a great match.
Old September 27th, 2019, 11:48 AM

I guess i need to see pictures of how each shade looks on the automobile but i am leaning towards the Argent Gray as i believe it to be original to 68-70 4-4-2 automobile's. I like the matching color wheels to the automobile but i think the Argent Grey stands out more and it's original. Thank you for your replies. I appreciate it.
Old September 27th, 2019, 12:47 PM

I stumbled on this site but it answers a lot of questions: http://www.oldsmobility.com/old/superstock.htm
Old September 27th, 2019, 04:56 PM

If I recall correctly, the 68 & 69 SS-II wheels had more silver than grey, and the 70-72 SS-II wheels were more of a flat charcoal grey.
Old September 27th, 2019, 05:27 PM

From what i have seen it's the very opposite with 68-69 Argent Grey than 70-72 more of a silver but some say they where all the same Argent Grey.
Old September 28th, 2019, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by W-27
I stumbled on this site but it answers a lot of questions: http://www.oldsmobility.com/old/superstock.htm
The SSII/SSIII pics are inaccurate, those are the later model snap on center cap wheels that are pictured, not the 68-72 bolt on center cap wheels. I didn’t notice an issue with the written listings but I only breezed over them. It would be nice if they corrected that, there’s enough inaccurate info presented as fact for us Olds enthusiasts to be confused by.

Last edited by bccan; September 28th, 2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old September 29th, 2019, 10:05 AM

As anyone used the Inline Tube SSII grey paint on there wheels? There price is $12.00 a can which is lower than Fusicks, Thornton, etc... but 64-78 all being the same doesn't sound correct and they don't post actual pictures of them painted (that would really help)
Old September 30th, 2019, 09:09 PM

The color question has come up probably at least once a year. From all the time I've been involved and seen pics it also depends on what batch of paint was used on what day. Most of the SSIIs I have had have all been darker, I have seen pics of supposedly untouched spare rims ranging from 68 - 72 all with different hues of grey. I started a thread with some comparisons of the rims I had. I'll try to find it and post the link here.

Edit: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...option-112690/

Last edited by stevengerard; September 30th, 2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old October 1st, 2019, 05:37 AM

This is a pic of an original 68 spare that was posted years ago. I always thought the lighter gray was a terrible match for most paint colors

Old October 17th, 2019, 11:17 PM

Grays

It is my opinion that most likely all the grays out there are correct. All rims did not get painted at one plant, each guy hand mixing the paint would have caused some slight type of color change. Just look under your hoods, all black painted items do not look the same from the factory. Engine black has a color pulleys different color alt brackets, A/C brackets, but all call for the same color. All just my opinion. Best match is to pull a known virgin spare tire, and get it color matched at the local paint store, or buy the paint that is the best deal from one of the Olds parts outlets.
Old November 22nd, 2019, 07:29 AM

Ok, i ended up purchasing (2) cans from Inline Tube because $23.00 plus $8.00 shipping for (2) cans sounded reasonable and it was described as they did a lot of research and formulated there own paint and the picture showed there own label. I received (2) cans of Seymour 10-48 Cast Iron Gray which Seymour sells for $4.96 on there website (shipping not included) or you can buy it for $8.85 (including shipping) on Amazon. The paint is high quality and looks great, so great that i am going to paint all my wheels with it. With tires on the rim it was a challenge because i used paint stripper (be careful not to get any on the tires) than i used Mar-Hyde to turn the rust into a primer, i used grey primer on both sides, painted the inside of the rim with semi gloss black and the outer portion with Seymour 10-48 Cast Iron Gray. I am going to do all (4) wheels on the car (it's my spare in the picture) then i have a set of (5) 15" rims that i am going to paint as well for when i replace my tires (at the driving rate that i am going in i may be in the box by then). Finally i recommend this paint as it looks great and original and reasonably priced. It totally changes the look of the car!

Seymour Model #10-48 Cast Iron Gray
Old December 6th, 2019, 09:32 PM

Those anyone know if this cast iron gray was clear coated at the factory for extra protection? I would not think so but what do i know.
Old December 7th, 2019, 03:48 AM

AFAIK, all the painted rims were originally black and the fronts were sprayed and there was no clear coat that I'm aware of. I've never seen it unless they were restored. If you do clear them, you would need to use some flattening agent or it would be too shiny IMO. And they didn't always give 2 craps about overspray blowing through the holes and getting on the inner rim. I personally wouldn't want any overspray on the back, but if some did get there, I wouldn't care so much. I can only imagine it was where the rim was painted and by who that day.

Interestingly, GM painted all the super stock wheel faces, even the chrome ones to some degree, as well as the SSI inlays. 69 H/O had a painted center with chrome outer rim. Later, in the 80s when they used the entire chrome wheel, they painted the inlays only either black, or silver (83/84 H/O), or gold (85-87 442). The reason for this is that chroming around the lugs wasn't able to be buffed up properly during the chroming process. So they simply painted over them. It was more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Especially the SSI wheels, IMO. They used that same trick on chrome grille inlays and other hard to chrome parts. Rust around the lug holes is an issue with the chrome SSIII wheels. Moreso IMO than the painted versions. The chrome cracked around each lug hole and allowed moisture to get under it and lifting it.
Old December 7th, 2019, 06:53 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by W-27
...i recommend this paint as it looks great and original and reasonably priced. It totally changes the look of the car!

Seymour Model #10-48 Cast Iron Gray
I came to the same conclusion about the look of the gray versus body color. The body color wheels are nice, so nice that I think they attract your eye away from the car. The gray doesn't do that and lets the car be the star.

Nice work, and thanks for the follow up pictures.
Old December 7th, 2019, 09:21 AM

Great explanation

Originally Posted by 69HO43
AFAIK, all the painted rims were originally black and the fronts were sprayed and there was no clear coat that I'm aware of. I've never seen it unless they were restored. If you do clear them, you would need to use some flattening agent or it would be too shiny IMO. And they didn't always give 2 craps about overspray blowing through the holes and getting on the inner rim. I personally wouldn't want any overspray on the back, but if some did get there, I wouldn't care so much. I can only imagine it was where the rim was painted and by who that day.

Interestingly, GM painted all the super stock wheel faces, even the chrome ones to some degree, as well as the SSI inlays. 69 H/O had a painted center with chrome outer rim. Later, in the 80s when they used the entire chrome wheel, they painted the inlays only either black, or silver (83/84 H/O), or gold (85-87 442). The reason for this is that chroming around the lugs wasn't able to be buffed up properly during the chroming process. So they simply painted over them. It was more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Especially the SSI wheels, IMO. They used that same trick on chrome grille inlays and other hard to chrome parts. Rust around the lug holes is an issue with the chrome SSIII wheels. Moreso IMO than the painted versions. The chrome cracked around each lug hole and allowed moisture to get under it and lifting it.
Best explanation that i have heard which makes total sense. Just as i thought no clear coat in 1968 and this Cast Iron Gray seems to have a semi-gloss sheen to it anyways. I am truly in love with the way it is turning out (even if i have to do one wheel with tire on rim at a time. The results are well worth it. Thank you for the great explanation.
Old December 7th, 2019, 09:29 AM

It give the automobile a new and better look as if you painted the bottom portion of the automobile but without spending a ton of money and getting the original look back. I have a set of (5) 15" X 7" rims without tires that i will paint once i finish my 14" x 7" set of (5). It all started from a flat spare tire in the trunk.