Super stock II wheel color

Old December 11th, 2017, 08:00 AM

Super stock II wheel color

Hi Everyone,

Searched high and low and trying to find the closest to factory color for my painter on the SSII wheels on my '70 442 convertible. I know they're argent silver/grey, but has anyone found the right codes from suppliers to make this easier? The internet and research options have not been my friend today. Thanks so much!

-Ryan
Old December 11th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Randy C.

I got my argent paint in spray cans from SupercarsUnlimited (www.supercarsunlimited.com to see their on-line catalog). I cleaned up and painted 7 SSII wheels with my brother and the argent paint from Supercars looked the same color (only newer!) than the paint that came off of the wheels. We did those wheels one-by-one so we could compare what we had with what we were getting and the match was pretty darn good.

We bead-blasted each wheel, primed each with black ZeroRust paint from the spray can, sprayed each entire wheel with Seymour GM chassis black, and then sprayed the front centers of each wheel with the SupercarsUnlimited argent paint. That was 8 years ago and those wheels still look brand new. Of course, they don't have a lot of mileage on them since painting and the wheels on the car and the extras are kept inside when not in use. But they do look good.

Just something you might want to consider, especially if you can't find the correct code.

Randy C.
Old December 11th, 2017, 04:44 PM

Check this thread out. What you will see is that even two cans purchased on the same day may give you a different shade of grey. They are much closer and more accurate to each other now but every "original" unpainted rim I have seen has varied in color. From the light color you see in this thread to the darker colors in my thread.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...er-option.html