Where'd the bump come from?

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2010, 03:34 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Where'd the bump come from?

Lots of folks are talking about the "flat-top" wagons, which begs the question, "Why'd they add the bump onto the roofs of Vista & Custom Cruisers?"

Usually it's something mundane like "extra" headroom, but I don't find the second and third row headroom on flat-tops an issue. Besides, it's cheaper to fiddle with the seat height than the sheet metal.

And the roof wasn't "raised" all that much, anyway. I just checked out a '76 (before the "downsizing" to my generation of Custom Cruisers), and the bump is hardly noticeable.

I know that they fitted a plastic blister window there on Vistas, but I'm not sure if that's actually the answer. Was it put there for the Vistas' window then just left there like an automotive appendix when the widow went away?

These are the things I must know, and I can't think of anywhere else to put the question out there...

Drew
Old December 31st, 2010, 03:45 PM
Cutlass Lover

I'm sure Blue will be answering you on this one, lol! He's smart about these things.
Old December 31st, 2010, 04:10 PM
Senior Moment Member

Cause it's a really cool look! I remember laying in the back seat looking up at the clouds as we drove along. Pure sixties, pure cool.
Old December 31st, 2010, 04:23 PM
Registered

I know.

According to factory literature, and the often referenced Collectible Automobile Feb. 2005 Vista Cruiser history article, the '64-'72 Vista Cruiser raised roof or "Attic" was to allow for more headroom to enter and exit the third seat area since it's rear facing and accessed through the right rear door. The Vista was also longer than regular wagons and the rear doors were made bigger for room to get in and out to the the third seat, the three seaters have the the split rear seat section on the passenger's side that folds forward so you can get to the third seat.
The roof bump-up and added length also added more cargo area and cargo floor to roof height, doesn't really mean much since it's not very wide on top and the rear opening is the same height as a regular wagon but it is a good selling point.
I do agree that it is a really cool look too.
Only reason I got mine.

The third seat also sits a little higher than the other seats since its over the rear end and the raised roof is needed for headroom while sitting also, they designed cars back then so an adult could ride in any seat and wear a hat.
The Vista Cruisers had all glass windows, no plastic.
The '73 and later later Vista's had flat roofs and the only window in the roof was a sunroof over the front seat if you ordered it.
Old December 31st, 2010, 04:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bluevista
The third seat also sits a little higher than the other seats since its over the rear end and the raised roof is needed for headroom while sitting also,
Ding Ding Ding

We have a winner. The VC and Buick Sportwagon were the only two with a forward-facing third seat. The seat had to be over the rear axle because of this (the flattops with third seat had a rearward facing seat and the seat bottom was behind the rear axle).
Old January 1st, 2011, 09:41 AM

I'll add something about the Custom Cruiser. I would bet that it probably add some structural strength to the roof.
Old January 1st, 2011, 10:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Ding Ding Ding

We have a winner. The VC and Buick Sportwagon were the only two with a forward-facing third seat. The seat had to be over the rear axle because of this (the flattops with third seat had a rearward facing seat and the seat bottom was behind the rear axle).
I actually got something right?

After they ask where my third seat is, and then trying to explain to them that the third seat was an option and all Vista Cruisers didn't have one, people at shows and cruises are always telling me how they remember riding in the rear facing third seat in their parent's Vista Cruiser when they were kids.
I tell them that the seat faced forward and most swear that they're sure 100% that the seat faced backwards and it was a Vista Cruiser.
Old January 1st, 2011, 10:53 AM

Vista's are the only wagon I'm aware of that can have a rear storage "well" as well as a 3rd seat. In most [if not all ] wagons the 3rd seat faced rearward and sat down into the storage well area.
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:14 AM

my father had a 71 ltd wagon third seat was read facing.had to enter through the tail gate.
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Vista's are the only wagon I'm aware of that can have a rear storage "well" as well as a 3rd seat. In most [if not all ] wagons the 3rd seat faced rearward and sat down into the storage well area.
Hey... loose lips sink ships, the secret storage compartment in the back is secret.

That compartment was the floor in the A-body wagons with the rear facing third seat. If you have a two seat Vista and want a third seat it's lot easier to put in a rear facing one, all of the wagons are the same back there.
The dual action tailgate has the cut-out for the hinge that is also a step when the gate is opened like a door to step in and out of the rear facing seat area. The Vista still has the step even though there's no third seat access from the rear, not much you can do about it though.
I know I've said it before but I think the Vista and Sportie third seats look like an afterthought, weird design and not trimmed out very well, still wish I had one in mine though.
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Hey... loose lips sink ships, the secret storage compartment in the back is secret.

I know I've said it before but I think the Vista and Sportie third seats look like an afterthought, weird design and not trimmed out very well, still wish I had one in mine though.
Blue, I think you've got 3rd seat envy.

I guess I'm not spose to tell them about the secret storage lid prop either.
Old January 1st, 2011, 12:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Well, my Custom Cruiser (and all the 77-90 B-body wagons) have a storage well that's useable even with the third seat stowed. Of course, this is also the footwell for third seat passengers.
Old January 1st, 2011, 12:16 PM

I know I've said it before but I think the Vista and Sportie third seats look like an afterthought, weird design and not trimmed out very well, still wish I had one in mine though
Blue, if you really want the third seat I have a complete set-up in green in very good condition from a 69 Vista. Come on up and it's yours for a pitance.
Old January 1st, 2011, 12:41 PM
Registered

Hi!...My name is Allan and I'm a Seataholic

Originally Posted by geowindow6768
Blue, if you really want the third seat I have a complete set-up in green in very good condition from a 69 Vista. Come on up and it's yours for a pitance.
I can't help it, Third Seat Envy is a disease, not a behavioral condition.

Thanks for the offer geowindow but I think I'll stay seat challenged.
The third seat covering would cost a grand then I would also have to get a split second seat and have that covered for another grand or two, everything costs a grand on that car, or multiples of them.
I figured if I want a three seater it would be cheaper to buy one.
If I do happen to change my mind what's the exchange rate between the Dollar and the Pitance anyway?
Old January 1st, 2011, 12:53 PM

Joe,

I believe ya, I just can't picture it in my poor ole mind. Do you have to remove the stored items in order for you 3rd seat passangers to have foot room?

Blue,

To be honest, It's very difficult for me to enjoy the enormous status of having a 3rd seat. When I open mine up, it still looks as new as from the day it left the factory and makes the rest of the interior look like poop on a white rabbit.
Old January 1st, 2011, 01:36 PM
bil

Years ago I had a 66 Buick Sport Wagon,the rearmost seats(yes,more than one!) were facing each other! Floor opened like a Bilko cellar door,a seat on each side,and the secret storage beneath.It could also be filled with ice and beer for the longer road trips! ---bil
Old January 1st, 2011, 03:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bil
Years ago I had a 66 Buick Sport Wagon,the rearmost seats(yes,more than one!) were facing each other! Floor opened like a Bilko cellar door,a seat on each side,and the secret storage beneath.It could also be filled with ice and beer for the longer road trips! ---bil
You must of consumed mass quantities of that beer for it to make you drunk enough to mistake a Furd wagon for a Buick.
Old January 1st, 2011, 03:19 PM
bil

Yes,yes I did! I could have sworn it was the Buick,but I DID also have a Ferd wagon at the same time! I was young and was in the experimental stage-I drove almost anything that ran! Later I refined my tastes considerately and went almost exclusively Olds. However,both Ferd and Buick wagons had an excellant spot for the instant cooler! ---bil
(Thanks for the correction)
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:15 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by bil
... I was young and was in the experimental stage...
...TMI...