Tailgate key switch?

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2024, 07:52 AM

Tailgate key switch?

In my 67 Vista the tailgate power window key switch has stopped working. The window still goes up and down very quickly using the dash switch but the key switch does not work at all. This just started a few weeks ago, up until that time the window has worked fine using either the key or dash switch. Does anyone have an idea what could have gone wrong? I would really like it to work. The switch is very hard to get to because of the window regulator being in the way. As near as I can tell the wires are still connected to the switch but like I said, its really hard to see in there.
Any ideas?
Old April 7th, 2024, 09:02 AM

Hello, I have a 68 Vista and there is a plug in the bottom rear of the spare tire compartment that leads to the key switch on the tailgate. If you unplug it you could do a continuity check to verify whether or not the switch is connected. This is easier than removing the switch as you say the regulator blocks access unless you have the window up. Here’s the diagram for a 68 if it helps.

Check continuity while turning the key between orange-black and light blue then tan-white.
Good luck!
Old April 7th, 2024, 10:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

If you open the tailgate and manually hold the safety switch closed, you can use the dash switch to raise the window to provide access. Be very careful when doing this. Keep the gate near vertical and obviously don't try to close the gate with the window up. Also be careful not to run the window too far up, as the upper weatherstrip is what stops it normally. Once the window is sufficiently high, you can gently let the tailgate down to the horizontal position to access the switch and wiring. Reverse this procedure to lower the window when done.