Price check on a 1970 Vista Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:16 AM

I'm looking at a 1970 Vista Cruiser to buy and was wondering what the value of a car like this would be.

1 of 1,500 built in 1970. The car was special ordered in sebring yellow a color that was only used in 1970 on the 442 and the Vista Cruiser ,it was also ordered with every availible option which was a 455v8 with E-heads,400 turbo transmission, 12 bolt rear , factory 4-spoke sport steering wheel, tilt, cc, power windows, ac/heat, cruise control,lighted rear view mirror, AM/FM stereo, 3rd seat, mirrored sky roof, luggage rack ,power steering ,and brakes, factory dual exhaust. The dash has no cracks,the headliner is perfect , the 3rd seat is perfect,however the drivers side bench seat has a cover on it as does the middle seat due to a seam split .the door panels , floor , storage compartment and rocker panel are solid as can be . The car runs and rides well ,it also has the 2way tail gate, and 69,600 original miles.

The guy that has it bought it at an estate sale and said he had an Olds expert come out and he dug up a bunch of info on the car. Apparently there weren't many at all that had the Sebring Yellow color along with all the options that this car has.

I just don't know the value of a car like this and if much is added to it because of the rarity of the color and options.

Here are some pictures to help you see what I'm dealing with.

Thanks,
Toph

Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:17 PM

I'm looking at a 1970 Vista Cruiser to buy and was wondering what the value of a car like this would be.

1 of 1,500 built in 1970. The car was special ordered in sebring yellow a color that was only used in 1970 on the 442 and the Vista Cruiser ,it was also ordered with every availible option which was a 455v8 with E-heads,400 turbo transmission, 12 bolt rear , factory 4-spoke sport steering wheel, tilt, cc, power windows, ac/heat, cruise control,lighted rear view mirror, AM/FM stereo, 3rd seat, mirrored sky roof, luggage rack ,power steering ,and brakes, factory dual exhaust. The dash has no cracks,the headliner is perfect , the 3rd seat is perfect,however the drivers side bench seat has a cover on it as does the middle seat due to a seam split .the door panels , floor , storage compartment and rocker panel are solid as can be . The car runs and rides well ,it also has the 2way tail gate, and 69,600 original miles.

The guy that has it bought it at an estate sale and said he had an Olds expert come out and he dug up a bunch of info on the car. Apparently there weren't many at all that had the Sebring Yellow color along with all the options that this car has.

I just don't know the value of a car like this and if much is added to it because of the rarity of the color and options.

Here are some pictures to help you see what I'm dealing with.

Thanks,
Toph

Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Toph
1 of 1,500 built in 1970.
Do you mean 1500 of this color? How do you know this? Production records are not broken down by color. There were 23,336 3-seat Vista Cruisers built in 1970 (along with 11,758 2-seaters). These figures come from the book "Setting the Pace, Oldsmobile's First 100 Years."

The guy that has it bought it at an estate sale and said he had an Olds expert come out
Who?

and he dug up a bunch of info on the car
Where? I'd love to dig up a bunch of info on my car, too, as would everyone who frequents classicoldsmobile.com. Do you have the name and phone number of this expert?

I'm not trying to be too much of an annoyance here, but you have to be careful of people who call themselves "expert," especially if you didn't actually meet the "expert" and are relying on the word of a guy trying to sell a car.

There are only so many places one can look for production records, and records broken down by how many had this or that option, engine, color, etc., just don't exist for Oldsmobiles from this era, at least in the U.S. GM of Canada apparently kept better records, so things could be different if this is a Canadian car.

Now, after having established all those caveats above, this is a very nice-looking car. Station wagons generally aren't as highly valued as coupes and convertibles, but that appears to be slowly changing, and the raised-roof Vista Cruisers always have some appeal.

According to the Old Cars Price Guide, the average value of a 1970 3-seat Vista Cruiser in #3 condition ("car show" quality, meaning a "20-footer") is just under $6,000. With the torn seats, it's probably not quite at this condition level. In #4 condition, which means runs and drives but needs complete restoration, the value is about $2,250. This car sounds considerably better than #4 as much of it is already in very good shape. So something in the $4,000 to $5,000 range would seem reasonable. All the options and relatively low mileage can certainly add some value.

Is there an asking price on the car?
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:55 PM

I'm definitely not taking his word on the whole 1 of 1,500 or what he learned from some expert he had look at the car. That's why I came on here to see if anyone knew anything about the color scheme and options on it. I have mainly fooled with Mopar stuff growing up and I'm not up to date on the Olds scene.

The guy is asking $5700 which I thought sounded a little high but if it did turn out to be a rare care because of all the factory options, the color, and the 455 then it might be worth pursuing.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM
1968 442 restoration

Looks like a really nice car. All the pieces seem to be there. What is he asking for it?

Chris
Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Toph
The guy is asking $5700 which I thought sounded a little high but if it did turn out to be a rare care because of all the factory options, the color, and the 455 then it might be worth pursuing.
If you ask me, that ain't a bad price considering the condition and all the options. I don't think the color would have all that much influence on the value.

If I was in the market for one of these, I'd certainly be thinking hard about this one. If $5700 is the asking price, maybe you could end up getting for something closer to $5000 with a little back and forth. On the other hand, if you paid $5700 for it, I don't think you would have overpaid. It IS a sweet-looking car.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:40 PM

A few things, the Sebring yellow was standard on the Rallye 350 & was a special order color on other cars, not just the Vista & 442. Also, it does not have every option available, I can think of half a dozen off the top of my head. No 8 track player, no rallye pack(tach & gauges), I didn't see an interior hood lock, no power locks, power seat(didn't see it if it's there), no outside thermometer, no nite watch system, etc.. That being said, it looks to be a very nice & solid car & if everything checks out & all the options work, I would probably try to get it for about $5,000.00. It will only go up in value if it is nice & like has been said, if you have to pay what he's asking, I don't think you can get hurt. The AC compressor is gone, that's a potential point of negotiation. Heck, tell me where it's at & I may go get it.
Check the inside corners of each door carefully, the bottom inside & outside edge of the tailgate, around the top vista windows for leaks/rust, & the bottom rears of each fender. Also, check in the spare tire well, those are notorious rust spots.
Any paperwork or repair records to go with it?
Good luck.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 02:41 PM

A good friend bought one last year with 49K miles, virtually the same car as the one you are considering. I would say his interior was in much better shape. Otherwise, identicial car. $6500. He has since had it masterfully repainted to the original yellow, and the interior redone in leather, + a new A/C system installed. Beautiful car. Good luck on your negogiations.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:44 PM

He's asking $5700 but I can probably get him down some from that. Not sure if $5000 would be a great deal, good deal, fair price, or overpaying. I'm leaning towards "good price" but not a steal.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:49 PM

He said that it does have power door and windows along with ac, so that's something I'll have to check out if I go look at it. I like the flat tops better but I think that this one could look pretty good with a nice pair of wheels and tires. I'd definitely have to do some work to the interior of the car if I got it.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:39 PM
1968 442 restoration

From your description of the car and how it looks in the photos I think $5700 is not unreasonable. If you cam get it for 5 even your doing good. I would be interested in it too if I had any money.

Chris
Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:22 PM

it has great options. even a 4 core radiator. i think you would be safe at that price with all the options. i would offer him $4800 and see where it goes.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:24 AM

I merged your two same topic threads together.
I couldnt argue with 5700 at all as long as there is no major rust.
I have seen less nice ones for much more.
I myself would jump on it fast if it had a 350!
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:43 AM
Olds fanatic

That does look like a pretty decent car for the price. With the 455 and a lot of nice options, I would jump all over that car for $5k.

In fact it looks a LOT like a car I tried to buy a few years back in Central California. I have a bunch of pics of it and maybe a little history if it is the same car.

It's nice that it is a special order color (which was available on the Cutlass too) but I think all of the options add more value to it that the color does. Also, I think the Vista Cruisers have more market Value than the flat tops.

Good luck.
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:18 PM

Was power vent windows availible this year too?
Are the seat covers covering ripped seats?
$5K -$6K is good,but you should check for winshield leak/rust.