Price Check?

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2011, 11:06 AM

Price Check?

Can I get some advice/feedback on this engine? I am considering purchasing it for my 1965 442 and appreciate and insight you may share.

$1500 seems like a fair price, but, without receipts, I have no way to verify the build, or the condition since completion.

NS
__________________________________________________ ___________

This engine came out of a 1972 Olds Delta 88. The car was scrapped, but the engine was in good running condition. 8 years ago I had it rebuilt at Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx in Xxxxs Xxxxx. It has a mild high performance build, to enhance the torque that these engines are famous for and still run on pump gas. Here are the rebuild specs:

Bored .030 over, now 462 ci.
10 to 1 flat top cast pistons (didn't do forged because I wasn't planning on using nitrous)
Original high nickel crankshaft ground .010 under
All new bearings, magnafluxed and one crack found in a head at a spark plug hole, it was replaced with a good matching Ga code head.
New hardened valve seats
New hydraulic lifters
New valves with Crane high performance valve springs

Here are the parts I added after the rebuild:

New Comp Cams adjustable valvetrain kit with hardened pushrods
New high volume oil pump
New Edelbrock Performer Plus highrise intake
New PAW high perfomance cam (.496 intake lift, .520 exhaust lift, 224 dur @.050 lift- equivalent to Edelbrock Performer Plus cam)
New oil fill tube
New timing cover
New single roller timing set
New water pump
New fuel pump
New Offenhauser cast aluminum finned valve covers
New head bolts
New allen head bolts for valve covers, intake, and oil pan

The engine is painted non-original red, as I didn't like the Olds blue color. The oil fill tube and timing cover are painted in ceramic silver paint and baked @ 200degrees for 2hrs. to match the valve covers. It has not been installed or fired since the rebuild. While stored in my garage, I turned the crankshaft 1/4 turn everyday for about a year, then once a week since to keep the valve springs from getting memory. It should be capable of 450+ hp and 525+ torque. I am also including everything that came with the original engine including pulleys and brackets. Also included are the engine stand and engine crane I bought new but never used to install the engine. I'll even include some assorted Olds rallye rims (3 that take bolt on center caps 14"x 7", and a full set of 15"x 8" with decent tires mounted on them and snap on center caps). It will also come with the pictured Holley 800cfm double pumper (works, leaks, needs rebuilt) and Edelbrock breather.

Thanks again....

NS
Old April 19th, 2011, 12:10 PM

Was it rebuilt 8 years ago and how many miles on it now? 375 hp sounds more realistic.
Old April 19th, 2011, 01:41 PM

Too small of a cam and not enough compression for 450hp.
I did Panos', dynoed at 465hp/525tq with a 238/246 at .050 Hyd Roller, .584/.592 lift, and about 10.8:1 with stock C heads.
Old April 19th, 2011, 03:03 PM

I'd be interested in the 400 coming out, if it's a stick shift motor!
Old April 20th, 2011, 05:31 AM

I would go through it,if it runs good or not.That is the only way to know.Any time you buy a used item like that,you are buying a chance.However,there is definitely some money in the parts.For one,the valve covers.Those are fairly rare,and valuable.
Old April 20th, 2011, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the advice fella's.

I think I'll contact the seller after our visiting family members depart after Easter.

NS