Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Power steering conversion 1940 Olds

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2017, 08:19 AM

Power steering conversion 1940 Olds

Has anyone installed power steering on an early 40s Olds? With wide tires and V8 it steers hard sitting still. Gotta be my next upgrade.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by 40coupe
Has anyone installed power steering on an early 40s Olds? With wide tires and V8 it steers hard sitting still. Gotta be my next upgrade.
__________________________________________________ _________.

Hard to know where to start on this query. I've never owned or modified a 40 Oldsmobile so can't answer your question directly. But I've built a number of street rods including changing front suspensions and adapting later steering mechanisms. So I have some idea of the challenges of adding PS.

Olds never had PS until 1953 so there would be no Factory PS column, gears or arms that would be a straight forward bolt up.

I think you are looking at some fairly complex fabrication issues and you should begin by talking with a shop that specializes in suspension modifications including PS. I'd recommend Fat Man Fabrications: http://www.fatmanfab.com/

You can use your Browser and search for other shops that do after market frame and suspension fabrication. There are a number of them. I recommended Fat Man Fabrications because they will take on about any year, make/model where some of the others specialize in more popular makes and years.

Sorry I can't do more than suggest a direction to take. If someone pops up who has a 40 Olds that has had a PS adapted I'd be surprised but pleased for you.
Jerry
Old October 4th, 2017, 08:04 AM

Power steering

Thanks Jerry I appreciate the info. I my mind I didn't think simple but like you said could be done by the right shop. I can live with it for awhile but the time will come when I will tire of wrenching on that wheel lol.
Old October 4th, 2017, 11:58 AM

A power rack and pinion is the most popular for steering conversion. The Mustang II is/was very popular for years, and easy to adapt. Like Jerry said Fatman would be a good place to inquire. Speedway also sells a lot of racks, parts, kits for good prices.
Steve
Old October 5th, 2017, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by 40coupe
Thanks Jerry I appreciate the info. I my mind I didn't think simple but like you said could be done by the right shop. I can live with it for awhile but the time will come when I will tire of wrenching on that wheel lol.
If you keep wrenching the wheel, you'll eventually end up with some rather impressive "Popeye" forearms as a result.. As stout as I am, I am still amazed that the ladies of the forties drove these cars.... Sheer determination... I'll be content when I convert to radial tires!