Manual to Power Steering Conversion 70 442

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2015, 09:48 AM

Question Manual to Power Steering Conversion 70 442

Took the car to a front end shop this morning because the play in the steering is terrible. They looked everything over and determined the steering box is worn out. I'm thinking this would be a good time to do a conversion to power steering. I did a quick search on line and see that conversion kits are available. I've also read through some past post that talked about using a Jeep Grand Cherokee unit. As usual, I'm reaching out to the C.O. community for guidance. If you can "steer" me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
Old May 21st, 2015, 09:52 AM

Rick, give me a call I have a power steering gearbox and pump off a 71 cutlass 937 789 8347
Old May 21st, 2015, 03:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Rick
Took the car to a front end shop this morning because the play in the steering is terrible. They looked everything over and determined the steering box is worn out. I'm thinking this would be a good time to do a conversion to power steering. I did a quick search on line and see that conversion kits are available. I've also read through some past post that talked about using a Jeep Grand Cherokee unit. As usual, I'm reaching out to the C.O. community for guidance. If you can "steer" me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
This is a totally bolt-on process so long as you have all the parts. There was even a kit sold for dealer conversions. Be sure you get the two spacers between the PS pump bracket and the block.
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:35 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I will just add that you need a pump, the 2 (or 3...) pump bracket halves, and the bolts and spacers that fasten it all together and to the block, and possibly different pulleys, depending on what you've got on the car (this can all be gotten used, usually VERY cheaply - give Olds3442 a call), 2 hoses (one is high pressure, with swaged fittings, the other is low pressure and can be bought by the foot in the auto parts store), and a steering box, with the appropriate rag joint to connect it to the column.

You do not need a new Pitman arm (as far as I recall from a conversion I did on a C___y years ago), and do not need to modify the column in any way (as you would if you owned a MoPar, for instance).

Bottom line: I'd grab whatever Olds3442 has as a starting point, and then you can decide on whether you want a different type of box later, once you've got a pile of usable parts to mess with.

- Eric
Old May 22nd, 2015, 06:28 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback. I have been in touch with John and plan to get with him in the next week or so to do some parts trading. This project sounds like its fairly painless.
Is there any way to tell if a used steering box is worn out prior to installing it? My concern is getting a used one and having the same slop in the steering.

Rick
Old May 22nd, 2015, 08:18 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

None that I know of - they all feel tight when they're not attached to anything.

Sorry.

- Eric
Old May 22nd, 2015, 01:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Rick
TIs there any way to tell if a used steering box is worn out prior to installing it? My concern is getting a used one and having the same slop in the steering.

Rick
The CSM details how to check and set preload and backlash with the box on the bench.