General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Power to Manual Steering Conversion

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2011, 08:52 AM

Power to Manual Steering Conversion

What is involved in converting from power to manual steering on a 1972 Olds Cutlass?

Do a I need a different Pitman arm?

Do I need a different Rag Joint?

Also, does anyone have a manual gear box that they want to get rid of???

Thanks
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:55 AM

If you get a manual steering box,make sure you get the pitman arm with it,and make sure it is for an A-body.The pitman arms appear to be the same between power & manual,but the difference is the splined hole that attaches to the box.The manual box has a smaller hole.The rag joint is a 50/50 chance that it will work on both.Some of the steering boxes have the steering shaft that is splined all the way around,and some have a flat spot machined-out.If you have a joint that is made for the flat section,then it will not fit one that is splined all the way around.
If you decide to do this,and can't find what you need,let me know.I have an assortment of manual boxes.Every Olds I own has manual steering.It is only harder to steer when the car is stopped.Once you are rolling,it is the same.
Old December 1st, 2011, 10:16 AM

Brian I sent you a PM
Old December 1st, 2011, 07:55 PM

what Brian said is true. However, given the ragjoint is probably 40 years old, it makes sense to get a new one since you are swapping the box out anyway.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 09:18 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I upgraded to a u joint it made the steering a little more responsive specially with manual steering. I know flaming river sell the u joints I got mine from a friends totalled mud truck with manual steering.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 10:59 AM

What particular joint did you install,and do you have picture sof it?There are a variety of them out there,but I haven't really sttled on one that I like.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I know its a burgeson joint and I belive you can pretty much get one for any app. You count the splines diameter and the shaft diameter . I asked my buddy he said he bought the shaft and u joint kit from summit for a k5 blazer. I'm gonna assume that gm used a standard size on the spline size for their gear boxes . I went from power to manual with out swithching the rag joint and I used the gear box from a 66 gto . I would post a pic but I'm on vacation as we speak ill snag a pic next week if you still want to see what it looks like