Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

55 olds help

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2017, 11:30 AM

55 olds help

don't know much about these older Oldsmobile's but I'm looking at a 1955 olds 88 convertible barn find. not sure if it runs(don.t believe so) but body and interior all good and original. is it worth the time and money to restore or sell for parts. needs total resto. also what's it worth like that and done
Old September 4th, 2017, 12:50 PM

If the body and interior are good, why would you want to sell it for parts? You sound like you want to flip the car and really have no interest in it to begin with. Leave it for somebody that knows what their doing
Old September 4th, 2017, 01:10 PM

sorry you must have miss under stood what I meant. is it worth putting 40 or 50,000. i'm looking for value. but nice answer
Old September 4th, 2017, 01:32 PM

Hey,

if it runs and does not have rost at all, it will be worth some money. But if she dont run.... you have to spend around 10k for engine overhaul alone. Without a running motor, it can be almost rostfree, I'd not spend 5 grand. Just my opinion.

Make pictures to get this more clear. Does it come with all chrome, good interiour and so on... look for details as its hard to find missing parts and some sellers do have wet dreams when putting little items for hundreds of dollars on ebay.

So... details
Old September 4th, 2017, 01:47 PM

thanks, i'm going to take a better look at it when we get it out of barn on Friday.
Old September 4th, 2017, 03:08 PM

That is a very rare car and yes the cost will not be a cheap car to restore depending on how complete it is. My WAG would be somewhere in the $10,000 range as it sets depending rust and missing convertible parts and such. If it runs isn't as important as how the body chrome and rockers are.

Will it make you any money restored, maybe if you do a lot of the work your self if you farm most out ,not so much. These cars bring a premium when they come up for sale. Here is a NADA price on 55 88 convertibles my guess that it is a little optimistic but not by much they have been on the rise the last eight years or so.

What is it worth finished? That depends what you call finished. A number 1 car (better than new) would be in the 80,000 range and it goes down from there. If you have any questions please give me a call... Tedd
http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/co...-88-value.html
Old September 4th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Phantom Phixer

Restoration is expensive .
Expect to spend 20 to 30 thousand for parts and materials , if you can do all the work yourself . Expect to pay a shop at least twice that if you can't .
If this car has sat in a barn that long , it will probably need a complete restoration .
Yes, these cars are worth 40 to 50 thousand in top-notch restored condition . However , It will take all of that or more to make it that top-notch condition . Forget about "flipping " it for a profit .
If you do decide to restore it make sure you have the money for the project as well as a good place to work . Or get it worked on.
Do it for fun . Not profit .
Old September 4th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Post some pictures when you get it out of the barn. Pictures will narrow down the project costs.
Old September 4th, 2017, 06:13 PM

What area are you located in. that also would make some difference in labor and the chroming costs.

You don't see many barn finds in 55-54 or 56 Oldsmobile's convertibles any more.... Tedd
Old September 4th, 2017, 06:17 PM

Or, another option not mentioned. If the price is cheap enough and you don't want to restore it yourself. Buy it and re-sell it as a project car. Maybe clean it up so others can see the condition. Let someone else do the restoration work.

John
Old September 4th, 2017, 06:22 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It is hard to say without seeing pictures. I would take rust free over a running car any day. If this car was free you might break even or have only a small loss if you restored it. If you are not interested in the car I would get it out and sell it. As Tedd said, there are not many of these cars around. If you can get it running that will be a lot better.
Old September 5th, 2017, 08:56 AM

To me the running part isn't near as important as the sheet metal, chrome and convertible only parts. There are lots of 324 and slant pans to be found plus if it is going to be restored all that will be redone anyway. Try finding a set of top bows sometime for a 55. You can grow a beard waiting for a set to come up on all of Craigs List and then it's a bidding war to see if you have deeper pockets than someone else who has deep pockets. The more complete the car the better the deal is.... Just my thoughts.. Tedd
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:43 AM

The old car market is fickle. By the time you'd finish a restoration, prices may be much higher, or much lower. As of now, the generation ( and buyers) of 50's car lovers is going away, so prices tend to drop.
Now, I do resto's and custom work in my (serious) hobby shop. So my work is much more affordable than a pro shop. I tell customers that it will cost 2-3 times what the car is worth, to do a decent resto on it. And that's just the beginning. Cars that are hard to get parts for, or have lots of chrome to be redone, the price goes higher.
Is it worth 2-3 years of work, part time, and outlay of 20-30K$, just to make 10K or so?
My advice would be to buy the car, clean it up and resell it to someone who really wants it and is willing to put time and money into it to enjoy. Make yourself 1000$ or 2 and be happy, and make an Olds lover happy.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 08:46 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by vickycar
thanks, i'm going to take a better look at it when we get it out of barn on Friday.
We'd really like to hear how this turned out.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
X2.... Tedd. Or at least some pictures.
Old September 25th, 2017, 05:34 PM

I have many of the parts you need (new Chrome, engine, transmission, fuel tank, metal, etc... If you are going to restore, contact me and I will save you plenty.
Old September 25th, 2017, 07:05 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Maybe the guys computer crashed or he is on an extended vacation. Maybe he lost interest. Maybe the car is no longer available. You would think we would at least get an answer but then how many times have we seen this happen.

Silver 98 it is interesting you have been a member here since 2013 and this is your first post. Why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself.
Old September 26th, 2017, 02:47 PM

55 Olds

Hi redoldsman,
I am an Olds fan from way back. In '13 I purchased a 55 Olds 4 Door Post from a Gentlemen in Detroit who brought it from Oklahoma 20 years earlier.

He spent the 20 years buying parts. The Transmission was done, The engine was completely torn down, but he had every part NEW, all Chrome has been done, new deck lid, new interior, new fuel tank, new steering wheel, etc...

My 50 Chevy I sold in '89 just came up for sale.

I have decided to sell the Olds to someone with the time to do it justice to make room.

PS. Love my Silver '92 98.
Old September 26th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Administrator

x4
Old September 26th, 2017, 06:46 PM
Phantom Phixer

I suspect that the OP was offered this deal and wanted to see if there was any money to be made restoring it . Probably not too much of a "car guy" .
He got his answer rather quickly.
Probably moved on to pork belly futures or silver .