Brake upgrade 55 Olds, help help

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2015, 07:01 PM
Scharpp

Brake upgrade 55 Olds, help help

Hi all , has anyone upgraded the brakes on 55 olds with a power booster or ? in the stock location with stock pedel? I dont want to change the car much but brakes are important haha, my master cylinder is wasted from what I see, and can buy a new one, but everyone says these old brake systems are unsafe?? I can get disc brakes for front,but,
my engine is pulled so I dont know the distance from starter to frame, not to mention I have a clutch pedel, wondering if there is room for a 8 inch dual piston power brake booster like on speedway or what you have done, I think the 7 inch single piston is to small for the weight of my car Thanks alot Mike
Old February 7th, 2015, 06:50 AM

Scharpp,there are two brands of treadle vac brakes,the Bendix and Moraine. The kits are available for both online,but if your's is in bad shape,you might want to send it to a experienced rebuilder. Several have been recommended here in the past.I would recommend that you call Ed Strain of Pinellas Park Florida. These brakes get a bad name because most don't trust themselves to rebuild them,but most have lasted 50+ years. You would run into many problems trying to change to another system,since your's has a clutch. Also Carps brake rebuilders has been highly recommended,as well as White Post,and Midwest Rebuilders. Any of those will do what is needed to make the booster safe again. Safety is Goal # 1 when dealing with brakes! Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; February 7th, 2015 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Add info
Old February 7th, 2015, 06:57 AM
Scharpp

Thanks Larry, I talked to my pops last night, he said the same, people don't know what thier talking about there and havent driven a car from the fiftys and they are perfectly safe, sure it takes a little more stopping room than the brakes of today, duh, I would rather leave it stock I appreciate the help
Old February 7th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I had Jeff Watts at Karps rebuilt mine. I am a pretty good shadetree mechanic but I looked at that kit and there are too many pieces. I will not take a chance on brakes since they are the most important thing on your car. I am very satisfied with Karps. Jeff had been doing this for probably 25 years now. One of the problems people have is getting used to driving today's vehicles with 4 wheel anti-lock disk brakes. With these old cars you have to drive defensively and be sure you have plenty of room between you and the car in front of you. The 54 and I believe the 55 only used on type of treadlevac and I think it was a Bendix. From what I understand they are interchangeable. Karps is not cheap but he put a stainless sleeve in the master cylinder. I think with freight both way it was around $500 but I have a lots of piece of mind.
Old February 7th, 2015, 11:23 AM

Redoldsman, the ' 55 Olds used both the Bendx and Moraine ( page 208 of the ' 55 Service manual) and there are separate articles on rebuilding both. Larry
Old February 7th, 2015, 01:13 PM

I have used, and recommend -

http://brakematerialsandparts.webs.c...rebuilding.htm
Old February 7th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks Rocketowner. I remember from looking at the Fusick catalog that they listed both but was not sure of the year. I knew it was not 54.
Old February 7th, 2015, 09:34 PM

Good information above,but for your information you can't just add a newer type booster and master cylinder. The treadle vac brake system works backwards from the conventional systems and requires quite a bit of adaption to make any other system work in it's place, Also if you do ever do decide to go with the disk brake conversion you are forced to go with a conventional system and make that adaption as the treadle vac won't support disk brakes by it's self or anyway that is what the disk brake guys say in there brochures. I'm still running stock brakes and still doing well....Tedd