Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Wiring courtesy lights in a 1956 olds

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2010 | 12:03 PM

Wiring courtesy lights in a 1956 olds

Can anyone help with the wiring of courtesy lights in a 1956 olds? The car is not equipped with them earlier, but i got new ones and a used switch at ebay. Is there any prewiring under the dash installed in the factory that i could use?

I assume they should be connected with the door switches somehow in order to light up when the doors are opened. If anyone with factory installed courtesy lights could help me with info and/or pictures i would be very grateful.
Thanks!
Old May 18th, 2010 | 12:36 PM

I just repaired mine last week.
I'm not home right now so I can't snap any pictures.
The lights do work of the door switch. My lights had 2 wires running to them...If I remember one was yellow one was orange.
I believe one wire has another wire tapped into it running to the switch.

I wish I could be more helpful now, but when I get home hopefully I can help.
Old May 18th, 2010 | 03:47 PM
1956 holiday coupe

I have this (it's for a 55 but it's the same)

btw sorry for the huge picture but it is so you can read it easy
Old May 19th, 2010 | 08:31 AM

Thanks guys, you´re the best! I bought new expensive courtesy lights from fusick, but there where no lamp holders included! cheap, i think...

So i will try to find some that fits. I don´t quite understand how the lead from the door switch is connected to the lamp holder? is there 3 pins in the harness of the holder? Or how do they mean on the picture Hialeah sent?

Also, the switch on the bracket has 3 pins, but i don´t have the harness, so i don´t know which pin should be connected where? Jaymann, can you see this on your car?

Hialeah, what does it say about dome light switch in the lower right corner in your pic?

Thanks everybody for our help!!
Old May 20th, 2010 | 08:40 AM

There's two pins on the light holder, with a white and orange wire.
The white wire has another white wire spliced into it that comes from the door switch.
Both those wires go into the dash harness, and according to Hialeah's pic, get tapped into the headlight switch harness.

The door switch has the white wire going to it from the lamp holder, and the other white wire comes off the door switch and runs down into the main body harness. Not sure where it goes from there.

I don't have the under dash switch on my car. I have no way of turning the courtesy lights on other than opening the doors. Looking at Hialeah's pic it appears that's a dealer installed option.
Old May 20th, 2010 | 07:14 PM
1956 holiday coupe

the lower right says
remove screws and pull out dome lamp switch. Fish out wiring lead and connect to unoccupied terminal on dome lamp switch. Replace unit using original screws.
Old May 20th, 2010 | 07:30 PM
1956 holiday coupe

This is what I understood from the picture I posted hope this is right let me know if it makes sense

Last edited by hialeah56; May 20th, 2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old May 21st, 2010 | 03:42 AM

OK, now i get it, the switches anly brake the earth!! My knowledge about electric wiring is very low

A buddy of mine told me that it is possible that the 3-pin socket on the courtesy switch is a general socket, which means that maybe one socket should be connected. I guess i will test each one of the to see what happens.

Once again, thank you all for taking the time and effort to help me, maybe someone else also can be helped
Regards AndyBee
P.S The rocket circle looks pretty nice, Hialeah, thanks!
Old May 21st, 2010 | 04:18 PM
1956 holiday coupe

Originally Posted by AndyBee
OK, now i get it, the switches anly brake the earth!! My knowledge about electric wiring is very low

A buddy of mine told me that it is possible that the 3-pin socket on the courtesy switch is a general socket, which means that maybe one socket should be connected. I guess i will test each one of the to see what happens.

Once again, thank you all for taking the time and effort to help me, maybe someone else also can be helped
Regards AndyBee
P.S The rocket circle looks pretty nice, Hialeah, thanks!
you got it already, any pics? Also, yes all three switches brake earth(ground)
Old July 17th, 2010 | 10:03 AM

OK, finally got the time to fix the courtesy lights. Since the lamp holder was not included with the bezels, i thought of some kind of other solution. I remembered that i bought some LED 12 V to make something fun with, a year o so ago, i found them and tested them. They ***** quite bright with a green light, perfect for my green interior! When i looked for tools and stuff, i stumbled over some rubber boots, probably for cables in the firewall on some car or something. His fitted perfectly in the bezels, and at the other end, the LED fitted perfectly also! Amazing!!

So know i got nice green courtesy lights, thanks Hialeah and Jaymann for your valuable help!!

P.S i will takes some pics both on the lights and the rocket circle eventually!
Old July 17th, 2010 | 01:03 PM
1956 holiday coupe

[quote=AndyBee;191032]OK, finally got the time to fix the courtesy lights. Since the lamp holder was not included with the bezels, i thought of some kind of other solution. I remembered that i bought some LED 12 V to make something fun with, a year o so ago, i found them and tested them. They ***** quite bright with a green light, perfect for my green interior! When i looked for tools and stuff, i stumbled over some rubber boots, probably for cables in the firewall on some car or something. His fitted perfectly in the bezels, and at the other end, the LED fitted perfectly also! Amazing!!

So know i got nice green courtesy lights, thanks Hialeah and Jaymann for your valuable help!!

[quote=AndyBee;191032]

P.S i will takes some pics both on the lights and the rocket circle eventually! [/quote]

we want to see pics