Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Wiper motor information vacuum to electric

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2012, 03:53 PM

Wiper motor information vacuum to electric

Well ladies and gents I have spent the last three hours trying to adapt a Chevy electric wiper motor to my 55 Olds and the conclusion is, it can be done, but not by me at this time.The mounting holes line up but the transmission connectors are off by a little more than a 3/4 inch so the mounting holes need to be moved up that 3/4 inch requiring a cut and re weld.Not a problem when I had a shop but not possible now. Also the Chevy motor will set very close to the bat-wing, so close that my tape measure says they will rub. If this was the only option I would work my way through it but it's not so I'm off to purchase a wiper conversion motor and I will let you know how that works out.....Tedd
Old March 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM

A member with a very impressive 1956 black & white 98 recommended New Port Engineering. I looked up their site and bookmarked it.

https://www.newportwipers.com/index.php
Old March 19th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Jen

Let us know as I will soon be doing the same thing on my 55.

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Well ladies and gents I have spent the last three hours trying to adapt a Chevy electric wiper motor to my 55 Olds and the conclusion is, it can be done, but not by me at this time.The mounting holes line up but the transmission connectors are off by a little more than a 3/4 inch so the mounting holes need to be moved up that 3/4 inch requiring a cut and re weld.Not a problem when I had a shop but not possible now. Also the Chevy motor will set very close to the bat-wing, so close that my tape measure says they will rub. If this was the only option I would work my way through it but it's not so I'm off to purchase a wiper conversion motor and I will let you know how that works out.....Tedd
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Tedd - Sorry to hear that it would not work. That is what I had heard about the clearance for the air cleaner. OLDS 56_ 98 said the Newport wiper unit fit right in. Go figure - I was set to replace mine. I replaced all my vacuum lines and now my wipers are working very well.
Rick
Old March 26th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Railroad Mike

Originally Posted by Highwayman
A member with a very impressive 1956 black & white 98 recommended New Port Engineering. I looked up their site and bookmarked it.

https://www.newportwipers.com/index.php
Checked it out. Looks like a good idea. $228.45; includes shipping.
Old March 27th, 2012, 05:02 AM
olds 56

nice price
were can i find a washer bottle or is it a bag
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:25 AM

Washer jar

pick,

It's a glass jar and can be purchased from Fusick. part #WWJ508. You will also need a mounting fixture, jar lid and pump.I don't know of any aftermarket mounting fixtures or complete pumps (someone chime in here if you know of any). so it's Ebay or a parts car for them. Lids are made after market and Fusick number is WJC507....Tedd
Old March 27th, 2012, 09:25 AM

I saw a nice jar/lid/pump go for around $75 on eBay recently, they come up time to time. Not sure if it had the mount though. That may be the hardest piece to find. My dad has a few washer units sitting in the garage, possibly complete and with the mount bracket, but it's a couple states away. He's not an Internet user, and I won't get back up there until 1-2 months. I'll check next trip and report back.
Old March 27th, 2012, 04:34 PM

If you make the conversion to electric wipers, what do you do about the vacuum side of the fuel pump? I guess delete the lines and plug the ports on the pump. But couldn't you also get a pump for a newer model that had electric to start with and clean things up a bit?
Old March 27th, 2012, 07:05 PM

Highwayman,

Or just use it( vacuum pump ) to operate the windshield wiper squirter's. It depends a lot on what look you want your car to look like and what you do with it . If you show your car in tough judged events by all means keep it as it was from the factory, If parking lot show and shines are your thing you can modify it and probably only the purest will know, or if you just want to keep the damn rain off your windshield and be safe going down the road, swap out what ever it takes to do that. It's your car and your money. Just remember a car seldom gets returned to it's original state so use your best logic and save your self some money down the road if you change your mind...Tedd
Old March 27th, 2012, 08:44 PM

Thanks Tedd,
I didn't think about squirters because my car doesn't have them. I'd probably end up rigging an electric squirter pump instead of trying to chase down an original.