General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Vacuum vs. Electrical Wiper Motor Conversion

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2009, 06:30 PM

Vacuum vs. Electrical Wiper Motor Conversion

Last night it rained for the first time in a long time here in Pnx, Arizona, while driving my 57 Olds. This gave me the chance to try out my vacuum operated windshield wipers. I had forgotten over the years how odd they operated compared with today's wipers. Two speeds, slow, then slower (when you step on the gas). The wipers did exactly what they were designed to do, and I was happy about that. And I may not even opt for changing the wiper motor out for an electric one, as this old vaccum motor if nothing else, brings back memories of the good old days as a teen and my 53 Chevy. But it did give me pause (excuse the pun).

An electric motor in a down pour could save lives...so I'm thinking that if I keep my trusty old vacuum wiper motor and a down pour occurs, then I'd better pull over and wait it out...

Any thoughts on "Vacuum verses Electric" conversion of your wipers? Would this conversion be too much of a modification on your original car, or is it acceptable?

(Okay, Kurt, just try'in to liv'in up the situation a little).
Old November 30th, 2009, 07:41 AM

There was an electric option windshield wiper motor for your Olds, one of our OCA members has one in the orginal box, rare as hens teeth I've been told. There are a number of aftermarket conversions. My 57 came with one and it doesn't work very well, does not make a full path only half. Some guys use a 55-57 chevy electrical wiper motor with a conversion plate to fit the transmission. Thery are expensive $350.00 on e-bay when you can find them.
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:22 AM

For $350, I would have to think twice about purchasing an electric converted motor or its original, but at least they were available back then, and to convert would be an upgrade rather than modification. Nice to know.

Like your electric wipers, my vacuum wipers only make a half path swipe (about 90 degrees), but good enough for driving. I was wondering if this was a normal function or if the wipers should go the full 180 degrees. Something to research, I guess. Yellowstatue or other 57 Olds owners may have an answer. If he doesn't pick up on this thread, I'll PM him and will let you know (unless you already know).

Thanks for your response.

Last edited by Dan Wirth; November 30th, 2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:30 AM

I believe the problem is within the cable tension adjustments. Just haven't been willing to attack that problem yet along with the vaccum controls of the heater. Someday..........
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:47 PM

57 Olds wipers

I have the interior out of my 98 and am planning to install AC so I'm thinking about spiffing up the wipers. I have read the 2007 and 2009 blogs about electric wipers. My car had an electric drive motor when I got it in 1984 and I think I want to keep it and the cables instead of trying to use one of the hot rod units. Do I need to disassemble the shafts to lube them and are my old cables likely to be stretched ? If so who sells new cables?
Also I am thinking about a Vintage Air AC. Any advice on these matterswould be appreciated.
Thanks
Pat
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Wirth
Last night it rained for the first time in a long time here in Pnx, Arizona, while driving my 57 Olds. This gave me the chance to try out my vacuum operated windshield wipers. I had forgotten over the years how odd they operated compared with today's wipers. Two speeds, slow, then slower (when you step on the gas). The wipers did exactly what they were designed to do, and I was happy about that. And I may not even opt for changing the wiper motor out for an electric one, as this old vaccum motor if nothing else, brings back memories of the good old days as a teen and my 53 Chevy. But it did give me pause (excuse the pun).

An electric motor in a down pour could save lives...so I'm thinking that if I keep my trusty old vacuum wiper motor and a down pour occurs, then I'd better pull over and wait it out...

Any thoughts on "Vacuum verses Electric" conversion of your wipers? Would this conversion be too much of a modification on your original car, or is it acceptable?

(Okay, Kurt, just try'in to liv'in up the situation a little).

My car is a 55 and I show it in points type events and try to keep it as original as possible but I found myself staying at home if I thought I might get caught in a thunder storm, wipers were poor at best even after a complete rebuild. I replaced the original unit with a Newport electric and have never looked back. I now take road trips in the winter, something I never would have done in the past. Look in to the Newport units they look close to a stock unit and bolt up to all your existing linkage and are easy to install ( with a few quirks in a 55 don't know about a 57). There is a thread on this forum that explains the conversion on a 55 should be close for a 57 that might help you decide......Tedd
Old February 12th, 2013, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Look in to the Newport units they look close to a stock unit and bolt up to all your existing linkage and are easy to install ......Tedd
Is there a web site for the Newport units?
Old February 12th, 2013, 04:08 PM

57 Olds wipers

My electric motor seems to work ok but I think my cables are beyond tensioning?
Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0025.jpg (85.1 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Pat McClelland; February 12th, 2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: add photo
Old February 12th, 2013, 07:06 PM

Try this link this should work if I did it correctly....Tedd

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13607246695243
Old February 12th, 2013, 07:33 PM

Thanks Tedd. I'll check it out.
Pat
Old February 13th, 2013, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Try this link this should work if I did it correctly....Tedd

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13607246695243
It did. Thank you!
Old February 13th, 2013, 08:47 AM

Hey Tedd, did you have to modify the stock air cleaner for electric wiper placement?
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Olds Scott
Hey Tedd, did you have to modify the stock air cleaner for electric wiper placement?
It came within a 1/4 inch but did not touch, I have heard of others who did have touch rub issues but with a tap of a hammer they went away....Tedd
Old March 17th, 2014, 01:43 PM
48Olds78

I just pulled out my wiper motor and it does work good. What does the vacuum line hook into to make the motor work on the car, my tubing is/was missing so I don't know where to plug it in?
Old March 18th, 2014, 08:46 AM

I'm not sure on a 48 but most earley Olds motors have a vacuum pump on the fuel pump and it will have a place for a vacuum line to attach(sometimes two places) you might check that out....Tedd
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:07 AM

Also thinking of going to an electric wiper motor. Is there a fuel pump that can be adapted to replace the stock one with the vacuum pump if I go electric?
Old March 18th, 2014, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Olds Scott
Also thinking of going to an electric wiper motor. Is there a fuel pump that can be adapted to replace the stock one with the vacuum pump if I go electric?
If your old pump is good just plug off the open ports on your fuel pump and you are good to go or if you want to retain your wiper washer squirters (if you have squirters) use only one and plug off the other....Tedd