Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Removing chrome trim on 55 dash

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2021, 02:14 PM

Removing chrome trim on 55 dash

OK. Bought this car thinking everything would be working like new from the factory. How naive was that. So far I’ve had to fix or replace the heater fan motor, the windshield wiper motor, the fresh air vent cables, a window crank clip, wheel spinners, the clock, and the radio and power supply. Right now working on the radio install. Removed the after market radio the previous owner had installed in the glove box and the Radio Shack speaker. The power supply was completely missing. I just feel that the radio power supply and speaker would be easier to replace if the chrome trim was out of the way. I can’t figure out how to get it loose. The trim over the radio was held on with two nuts and bolts but the trim over the speaker has some threaded studs but no nuts. It doesn’t seem to want to pop off like it was held with spring clips. Anybody done this little job? And by the way, what are those two rectangular shiny silvery boxes mounted behind the trim to the left and right of the speaker?
Old September 12th, 2021, 04:33 AM

Those two boxes would be the ash trays. They should have a light inside.
Rick
Old September 12th, 2021, 05:21 AM

No. Not the ashtrays. I removed those, and the boxes they fit in, when I was taking the radio out. The shiny silver boxes I’m talking about are behind the chrome trim immediately beside the speaker grill. You have to slide underneath the dash and look back up to see them. Or, as I discovered after contorting my aged body, you can hold a mirror and a light source under the dash and see these two rectangular boxes. It looks like they have a cover on them held on with a couple screws. I am hesitant to open them up to see what they are without having some idea of what I will find.
Old September 15th, 2021, 07:55 AM

I don't remember those boxes that you speak of, and I have spent my share of time under the dash. How about a picture and maybe that will jog my memory..... Tedd
Old September 15th, 2021, 12:31 PM

Old September 15th, 2021, 12:33 PM

The first picture is the one on the right side and, obviously, the second picture is the left. Does this help?
Old September 15th, 2021, 06:58 PM

Dave you don't need to remove these, they are parts of the "design" trim that goes around the clock
Just remove the 6 screws as marked on the pict.

Old September 15th, 2021, 08:09 PM

OK. Thanks for all the help. I believe all of my new and repaired parts will be in my hands by the end of the week. It’s anybody’s guess as to how quickly the new and repaired parts will be in the car. Probably not by the end of the week.
Old September 16th, 2021, 07:09 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Pretty sure that those are just part of the dash trim casting for the recess on the front side - there's nothing inside them