Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Pertronix Ignition

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2014, 06:05 AM

Pertronix Ignition

Good Morning;
I pulled my distributor out of my 57 Olds 98 and am considering swapping the points out to a Pertronix system and new coil. I would like to increase dependability and engine performance / gas mileage.
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

http://pertronix.shptron.com/p/ignit...nt-distributor

Mark
Old March 15th, 2014, 06:43 AM

I'm sure this has topic has been beat to death if you search. But I have given up on these modules. I have had each type Pertronics, Mallory, and even the expensive Lectric Limited product.

All gave me trouble to some point.

You'll hear people say they have had them for years with no problems.

My advice is that if you decide to do it, put a set of points and tools necessary to do the swap in your trunk.

I'm a technology junky, but I'll stick with the old school approach in this case.
Old March 15th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Administrator

If your looking for increased performance and fuel economy, your money would be better spent on other things. If your just looking for ease of maintenance then most like the Pertronix. Like all electronics, they will eventually fail at the most inopportune time.
Old March 15th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have had nothing but good luck with Pertronix. I have had one in my boat for over 15 years and no problems. As mentioned, you will not gain any noticeable increase in mileage or performance. You will notice quicker starting and longer plug life. I also changed the coil and put on a good set of wires.
Old March 15th, 2014, 08:19 AM

As in all things there is always mixed opinions. I just picked up my wheels from my mechanic and asked his opinion. He had nothing but good things to say about the Pertronix system. I would definitely keep the condenser and point set in the tool box just in case. Maintenance on the distributor is a bit awkward since its between the motor and fire wall. Had to lay a plank over the rad so I could lay across to reach it.

Mark
Old March 15th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Administrator

I agree, distributors and the height impaired do not mix. I've found in most cases to work on them it's better to remove it and do it on a bench, Im 6'5.
Old March 15th, 2014, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I agree, distributors and the height impaired do not mix. I've found in most cases to work on them it's better to remove it and do it on a bench, Im 6'5.
I'm 6'4" and couldn't agree more. I was going to work on it in place but decided to pop it out to clean and inspect it. Im glad I did as it was pretty gummed up.

Mark
Old March 15th, 2014, 08:37 AM

I have been using the Pertronix ignition modules on my cars for over twenty years.. I have never had a problem, if the directions were followed..
I have found that it is best to contact the Pertronix' Tech people for the correct application.. Parts counter people are not very savy on all of the variables.. I almost had a problem on a '53 Pontiac 8 cyln I had a few years ago.. The parts man said his book showed a Pertronix for "all Pontiac's".. I called Pertronix. They told me the parts man was wrong, the V8's used one type of a module, the inline engines used a different one. On the old 6v ignitions you have to use Pertronis' Flame Thrower II 12v coil..
Another item that most people overlook is the ballast resister.. Electronic ignitions like full voltage, therefore, the ballast resister has to be eliminated from the system, as does the original coil in favor of Pertronis' Flame Thrower coil.
About the only difference that can be noted with a Pertronix is that the engine will start faster, because of the improved voltage to the plugs..
I have found that good quality points are hard to come by, electronic module eliminate this problem..
I have also found that like points, an electronic ignition will burn up if the key is left on, and the engine is not running.. I recently had that happen on a car of mine that was in the upholstery shop (39 Plym conv).. The car ran fine when it went into the shop, would not fire a shot when it came time to pick the car up.. I had the car hauled to my tuneup man.. A new module solved the problem.. My tuneup man told me that body and upholstery shops burn up ignitions on a regular basis.... Bill

Last edited by blucar; March 15th, 2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old March 15th, 2014, 08:48 AM

Thanks Bill
I have an email out to Pertronix for their advice. Its always a challenge getting the right information for the older cars.

Mark
Old March 15th, 2014, 08:55 AM

I have the ignitor II model 91183 and flamethrower II .45 ohm 45000 volt coil in my 1955 324 v8 S88. I haven't had any problems with it for last four years. I followed instructions by getting rid of ballast resistor as recommended and using modern spark plug wires. I also increased spark plug gap by .05. I have good starts and no mess with points adjusting.
I think some of the problems people speak of may have to do with set up or parts compatibility more than defects with pertronix.
Bottom line is that I am a believer in pertronix and would recommend the switch.
Another thing about the ignitor II is that there is no worry about ignition being left on. No chance to burn out ignition like on ignitor I if key is left on.

Last edited by aholiday; March 15th, 2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Added info
Old March 15th, 2014, 09:38 AM

I had a Pertronix unit go bad on my Land Cruiser(350 sbc) and I a'm back to points but I would give It a second chance should I need to mess with it again.

As noted above keep your old set in the glove box because when its quits it quits , no warning your dead in on the street......Just my opinion... Your milage may differ....Tedd
Old March 15th, 2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by aholiday
I
I think some of the problems people speak of may have to do with set up or parts compatibility more than defects with pertronix.
Bottom line is that I am a believer in pertronix and would recommend the switch.
Another thing about the ignitor II is that there is no worry about ignition being left on. No chance to burn out ignition like on ignitor I if key is left on.
Amen to the above. I've had a lot of people tell me that the FlameThrower coils are a waste of money, "a coil is a coil"..
Case in point; About four years ago I purchased a Pertronix Ignitor module and coil for my ski boat.. (460 CID Ford).. My son in law, who is a very good mechanic installed the module. He was not impressed with the performance, called me saying he was going to put the points back into the distributor.. I told him to leave it alone, I would look at it..
When I walked into the garage where the boat is kept, I noted the Flame Thrower coil sitting on the work bench. Removing the engine cover I noted that the old stock coil and ballast resistor was still on the engine.. Hmmmm? "Someone let the directions on the can out smart them".. Bill
Old March 15th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Let's be clear. Under most conditions, an electronic ignition system from any manufacturer will NOT provide any better performance or economy as compared to properly adjusted points in good condition. People who claim a noticeable improvement after conversion either need to recalibrate their butt dyno or had worn/defective parts before the conversion. If you are running your engine at extremely high RPM and getting point bounce, then electronic will provide a benefit, but for normal use, the only benefit from electronic ignition is easier maintenance. If it's worth that to you, go for it. Just be sure you understand whether your selected electronic conversion requires full 12v or will work on 9v. This is the difference between being able to use the wiring as-is or needing to bypass the resistor in the RUN wire.
Old March 15th, 2014, 12:55 PM

[QUOTE=jozw30;668986]I'm sure this has topic has been beat to death if you search. But I have given up on these modules. I have had each type Pertronics, Mallory, and even the expensive Lectric Limited product.

All gave me trouble to some point.

Thanks jozw30; I'd be interested in hearing what kind of issues you had?