Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

New tires for the old girl

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2010, 10:17 AM

New tires for the old girl

I finally got rid of the unsafe tires that I was riding on. They were old bias ply that were all cracked and worn. I've got nothing against the bias ply, I really like the look, but I went with some radials because they were available.

What an adventure getting them installed. I dropped the car off and was told it would be about an hour. The counter guy asked if I had wheel locks. I told him no but I do have left handed threads on the drivers side and make sure the guy installing the tires knows that.
He asked me what that means....

An hour later my car is still parked where I left it..no new tires. They told me the tire guy went for lunch. When he got back, it turns out he's a young kid wearing one of those stupid fancy ball caps cocked to the side and he's moving at a snail's pace. It took him at least 5 minutes to take the lugs off one rim.

Anyhoo...I come back an hour later and their just putting on the last tire.
They installed the white walls in not out!!
I told the counter guy and he said "you wanted them out?" well...let's see...it came in with wide whites...why wouldn't I want to leave that way?

He told the tire guy to flip them around. He wasn't happy and took even longer to do it again.
4 hours later I'm finally on the road.

I must say, the radials are a huge improvement. The old tires would catch a rut and sometimes feel like they're trying to pull in 4 different directions at once. It used to be an adventure to get that car up to highway speeds. On the way back from the tire shop I had her up to 75 on the highway and it was smooth as silk!

My to do list keeps getting shorter. What a great feeling that is
Old June 25th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Past Administrator

That's great news that the car drives better, bad news about the service. There is no excuse for poor service like. I wouldn't ever go back there and be sure to tell everyone that every needs tires about my experience if that happened to me, they deserve the bad PR.
Old June 25th, 2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by jaymann
I finally got rid of the unsafe tires that I was riding on. They were old bias ply that were all cracked and worn. I've got nothing against the bias ply, I really like the look, but I went with some radials because they were available.

What an adventure getting them installed. I dropped the car off and was told it would be about an hour. The counter guy asked if I had wheel locks. I told him no but I do have left handed threads on the drivers side and make sure the guy installing the tires knows that.
He asked me what that means....

An hour later my car is still parked where I left it..no new tires. They told me the tire guy went for lunch. When he got back, it turns out he's a young kid wearing one of those stupid fancy ball caps cocked to the side and he's moving at a snail's pace. It took him at least 5 minutes to take the lugs off one rim.

Anyhoo...I come back an hour later and their just putting on the last tire.
They installed the white walls in not out!!
I told the counter guy and he said "you wanted them out?" well...let's see...it came in with wide whites...why wouldn't I want to leave that way?

He told the tire guy to flip them around. He wasn't happy and took even longer to do it again.
4 hours later I'm finally on the road.

I must say, the radials are a huge improvement. The old tires would catch a rut and sometimes feel like they're trying to pull in 4 different directions at once. It used to be an adventure to get that car up to highway speeds. On the way back from the tire shop I had her up to 75 on the highway and it was smooth as silk!

My to do list keeps getting shorter. What a great feeling that is
You should have told the guy that customer service is like making love to a gorillia...you're not done when you're satisfied, you're done when the gorilla is satisfied.
Old June 25th, 2010, 10:46 PM

I should have known better right from the start. The guy at the counter asked what year and make of car. I told him it was a 1956 Olds. He looked out the window and asked if it was the one over there in the parking lot....I told him no it's the other one over there!
Then he asked if it had air conditioning!
Old June 25th, 2010, 10:52 PM

Let me guess: You went to Canadian Tire?
Old June 25th, 2010, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird
Let me guess: You went to Canadian Tire?

we have a winner!
Old June 26th, 2010, 06:31 AM

Best of all it drives great and they did not screw up the lugs!
Fresh tires make such a difference, even going from 6 year old radials to new ones. In hot TX, the rubber hardens and ride and traction diminish.
Old June 28th, 2010, 06:20 AM

You should have told the guy that customer service is like making love to a gorillia...you're not done when you're satisfied, you're done when the gorilla is satisfied.
That is hilarious!

At least they got the tires on without breaking anything. I would have watched them like a hawk!
Old June 28th, 2010, 07:05 AM

Hate tire shops they have no appreciation for wide white walls at all. Have to stand right there and watch them like a hawk.
Old June 28th, 2010, 09:18 AM

I've heard that the wide white walls can be damaged by leaning another tire up against the white wall, and by greasy hands. I would be very cautious about having a shop install wide white walls.
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM

asap I'd check the torque on the lug nuts. and see if they're still all there.
Old June 30th, 2010, 07:45 PM
GM Enthusiast

What size/brand did you put on?
Old June 30th, 2010, 08:12 PM

Even with my ho-hum car I still try to make it as obvious as possible for 'em. I even lay the wheelcover lock on the dash right in front of the steering wheel. haha.

I just might have turned around and walked out though when they asked what left handed thread meant!
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Blk71SX
great advice, I'm going to do that right now!
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
What size/brand did you put on?
I just went with some cheapies to get the car cruising for the summer.
Canadian tire Motomaster SE. P225 75 R15
It's only a thin whitewall but it's better than the old cracked bias ply that was on there.

Of course last Sunday I was at a car show/swap meet and there was a booth set up with BFG Silvertown wide whites ! Seemed a little pricey though.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 04:12 AM

Know what you mean.

Jaymann,know what you mean about the bias ply tires. Had them on the 47 Oldsmobile Coupe. Was like controlling a boat on any road. Had 16 X 6.5 now have radials 15 X 8 in the front a nd 15 X 8.5 in the rear. Drives like another car. Wonderful. Big O tire, in Hillsboro, OR help me out. Dave the owner is a motor head himself and knew what I wanted. Great job.
I am glad that it all worked out for you, and enjoy the new ride.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Blk71SX
Originally Posted by jaymann
great advice, I'm going to do that right now!
they can be anywhere between finger tight and 3,000 lb/ft.

and, 4 out of 5 is excellent, if you're shooting from outside the 3 point line.