Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Frustrating same reoccurring electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2017, 08:15 AM

Frustrating same reoccurring electrical issues

Well I'm having electrical charging problems again on the 55.: I went to a early morning car show and had my lights on the whole way(35 miles). Ampere needle showed slightly over on the charge side all the way there. After the show I noticed the car cranked slower than normal but started and the amp needle was still on the positive side but should have probably been more to the 15 amp side of the gauge for a while. When I stopped at the post office for my mail the car wouldn't crank and I had to get a jump to get home (embarrassing).

Somewhere I have three multi - meters in my tools, if I find one I'll figure out where and why the juice is not getting to the battery. I suspect the voltage regulator but it could be the POS Willson re manufactured generator, all the parts are new or near new. This has happened several times in the past and a replacement of the generator or voltage regulator was the fix but if there is one thing I can't stand is a unreliable car that I can't feel safe getting out of town with.

I'll know more after I find my tools ..... Frustrated Tedd.
Old July 9th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I know you keep your car 100% original and I understand that. Mine has had a few mods and the one wire 135 amp alternator is one of them. With AC, an electric fan and fuel pump I don't think the old generator would keep up. I know you will get it fixed but it is embarrassing when you have a car like yours. As I tell people about my car, "she may look brand new but underneath she is still 63 years old". I just had the harmonic balancer rebuilt and the transmission rebuilt in February. It is leaking again. The guy that rebuilt it is really good but it has to go back to the shop again.
Old July 9th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Ted, try cleaning the battery terminals, they might have a light coat of corrosion.
Old July 9th, 2017, 01:16 PM

I put a tight on all the bolts/ screws on the regulator' battery and generator and now it registers about 12 amps till the battery is charged, mistake, wished I would have waited till I found my multi- meter because I still don't know the area of the problem beings I tighten everything up. I should have tested it first and narrowed down the problem.

Kinda puts me in a bind as I was looking at a show in Grants Pass Oregon and it's doubtful that I'll do a three day trip ( some of it at night) with out knowing why it quit charging. I don't trust my fix that much. I might just run the hell out of it for a week and see if the problem comes back, sure like that Grants Pass show.... Tedd
Old July 9th, 2017, 03:00 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd:

I am sure you checked it but is the generator belt tight. That is one of those things that is often overlooked. When I was in Viet Nam in 1969-70, We had a 65 Grand Prix. My wife had trouble with the car the entire year I was gone. She took it to Montgomery Wards (remember them) where I had purchased a lifetime guaranteed battery. They never figured out all that was wrong with the car was the alternator belt was loose.
Old July 9th, 2017, 05:38 PM

My car still had the original generator on it when I put the air conditioner on it and a few weeks after I was 75 miles from home and was next in line to be judged in "Drive through Judging". I hit the starter and it would not make a sound.They jumped off and judged it, and I went to the near Auto Parts store,they check the battery ,Generator and they both checked good.
I reached over and tried to turn the generator by hand,and it barely slipped when I put a lot of pressure on it.charged the battery,tightened the belt,and never had any more trouble
Larry
Old July 9th, 2017, 06:43 PM

I'll take a look at the belt tonight, usually doesn't take much tightness on a generator compared to a alt belt but the price is right if that's what it is. I've gotten into more trouble by over-tighten on generators and burning the bearing/ bushings than having them too loose.

I just went out and checked the belt, felt like what I wanted it to feel like. About a inch play up and down with no slip. I'll run it tomorrow and see what happens... I hate intermittent problems, especially electrical.... Tedd
Old July 11th, 2017, 10:00 AM

On the drivers side inner fender theres a post that your positive terminals connect too. On mine the bakelite pad the post sits on had cracked and was getting to ground on the inner fender. Caused almost the exact same problems you described. Your mileage may vary.
Old July 11th, 2017, 11:18 AM

Are you talking about the horn relay? I'll look it over and get back. I took the car to town yesterday and put about 60-70 miles on it and no problems with start ups. Found my multi meter so I'll do some checking today.... Tedd
Old July 11th, 2017, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Are you talking about the horn relay? I'll look it over and get back. I took the car to town yesterday and put about 60-70 miles on it and no problems with start ups. Found my multi meter so I'll do some checking today.... Tedd
Based on his description I would say yes, he is referring to the horn relay.
Old July 11th, 2017, 05:13 PM

I remember the horn relay being connected to this post. It was the bakelite under the post that had cracked.