General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2009, 07:53 PM

Electrical issues

Having a problem with my battery running down. When I attach the positive to the post the Voltage regulator starts Clicking. I have replaced the starter and alternator and voltage regulator. They are wired correctly. I have a Msd ingnition,coil and box. They seem to be wired correctly. The car starts and runs. Any sugerstions on where to start looking for the problem?

Thanks
Tim
Old June 6th, 2009, 04:34 AM

Pull the negaitve battery terminal, and place a 12 volt trouble light tester between the post and the cable end. If there is a current draw, the light will be on.

Then start to pull fuses one by one until the light goes out. That curcuit is where the electrical draw is.

The only electrical draw should be a clock or an aftermarket radio, with the key off.
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:18 PM

Electrical issues

I found that when I take the red wire running from the solenoid to the horn relay off the test light does not come on. It looks as though the issue is from the starter to horn relay. I changed the relay off another car and that was not the issue. The starter wires are correct and not touching any thing to cause a negative ground. The starter is brand new with new solenoid and the car starts. Is there a need for the redwire from the starter to the horn relay? My other 72 does not have this connection just the red from bat and the two wires from the wiring harness. Probably a stupid question. The procedure you gave was very good. I do not claim to know how to fix electrical but because of the economy I am trying to figure it out with a lot of help from the list.

Thanks
Tim