Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Check your wiper blades!

Old April 16th, 2017, 04:12 PM

Check your wiper blades!

I got caught in the MOA down pours in the 55 today coming home from Easter festivities. Hadn't planed on it raining that hard that soon. No leaks around the top or windows but my wipers really sucked after a hot summer last year they have hardened up like a hockey puck. Between the rain fog and terrible wipers it was white knuckles all the way home. Rain X was in the trunk but it was way to late to apply because of the rain.

Before you venture out this spring check those wiper blades so you don't have to listen to your cup holder blabber scarry thoughts all the way home... Tedd
Old April 16th, 2017, 04:18 PM

That's a good idea about checking the wiper blades. I rarely ever need to use the wipers here in Phoenix, but I still change them every year or so. If it goes any longer than that, the rubber fuses to the windshield due to the intense summer heat.
Old April 16th, 2017, 04:21 PM
Lansing built

I always use RainX on all of my vehicles! The dailies get a coat every thirty days. Once a year for the Oldsmobiles.

Pat
Old April 16th, 2017, 04:38 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by 1970cs
I always use RainX on all of my vehicles!
Amen, bother.

Try RainX if you've not done that before. You will find that wipers are unnecessary; even without wipers in gully-washers you will see better than with wipers and no RainX.
Old April 16th, 2017, 04:52 PM
Olds Fever

I keep plenty of spare wipers in stock for all my vehicles... When one of our local Olds/Cad dealers closed down I got a few totes full of wiper blades (Free I might add)... Mostly later models, Intrigues, Aleros, Bravadas, as well as some Cadillac... Even had a few G-Body thrown in, which surprised me... In addition I have several boxes of various blades ranging from 14" thru 22", your basic Anco/Trico replacement type blades... I should be good for a while...
Old April 16th, 2017, 06:02 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

When my wife and I went to a show back in early March about 60 miles away, we had a light rain coming home. I have to tell you Tedd, I was glad I had installed the electric wipers and put RainX on the windshield. Not only does RainX help bead the water but it makes the wiper blades move over the windshield a lot smoother.
Old April 16th, 2017, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
I keep plenty of spare wipers in stock for all my vehicles.
Wiper blades age even if they're not on the car. More slowly, sure, because they're not exposed to the sun. But time does not stand still for rubber just because it's still in the box. Better to go to the store and buy a set made recently than put on the car a set of blades made a decade or two ago.
Old April 16th, 2017, 09:21 PM

The Rain x also moves the water off the areas that the wipers don't touch. On fifties era car the blades are only 12 inches long.

It's a little harder than just going to your local auto parts store for your replacement blades as most if not all have quit handling the refills and if they do have the complete wiper they are most likely the brushed aluminum style. I think Fusick still carries the refills or at least they did a couple years ago.... Tedd
Old April 17th, 2017, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
It's a little harder than just going to your local auto parts store for your replacement blades as most if not all have quit handling the refills and if they do have the complete wiper they are most likely the brushed aluminum style. I think Fusick still carries the refills or at least they did a couple years ago.... Tedd
When I replaced the wipers on my 71 98 I couldn't get the refills and the blades I bought were actually black plastic!

Rather than put the plastic blades on my car I removed the wiper blades from the wiper arms and installed them on my car. I don't know if my 71 98 has the original wiper arms or not, they are brushed aluminum. It definitely looks better than the tacky, black plastic wipers.
Old April 17th, 2017, 08:05 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Wiper blades age even if they're not on the car. More slowly, sure, because they're not exposed to the sun. But time does not stand still for rubber just because it's still in the box. Better to go to the store and buy a set made recently than put on the car a set of blades made a decade or two ago.
You are correct about the aging of rubber... Most of my blades are 10 plus years old, BUT knock on wood I have had no problems as yet with the blades hardening to the point of cracking and breaking... My only issue with the blades are on occasion they tend to start splitting on the very ends, which gives me plenty of time to change them out for another pair...
Old April 17th, 2017, 02:16 PM

We just had a thread about this a week ago or so. Go to Rock Auto and type wiper refill in the search box and all the available refill inserts will be displayed.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 06:24 PM
Lansing built

Just got done washing and waxing the 70 and since it was mentioned to check the wipers. And guess what, both had separation at the end of both blades

So to the internet to see what blades cost. $36-40 for the proper looking fit and finish. So I had to find a Trico retailer and had to go all the back in to the same city I work in for the second time today to get re-fills for o.e. wipers. $7.49

Pat
Old April 22nd, 2017, 07:34 PM

AS I posted above, the refills are about $5 at Rock Auto.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 05:11 AM
Lansing built

Actually $6.32 with shipping! cost me $1.50 more with tax for my impatience plus a gallon of fuel to go thirty miles. So $4.00 more. But we actually had a few other things we needed, hay for the bunny and the kid needed some more antifreeze for his Acheiva.

IMO still like to support brick and mortar stores, do to people having jobs and paying local taxes along with the business that they work for!

I do understand that people do live far from stores and it makes sense for them. Technically I have two auto parts and one large grocery store chain that are within a mile or two from my house.

Pat

Last edited by 1970cs; April 23rd, 2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 08:28 AM

Rain X...I use it for the reasons here on all my old cars. If it's just a little rain, you don't need to use the wipers. If it's raining hard and your wipers break, you can still drive. When you really drive your car, you have to cover the bases!
Old April 23rd, 2017, 08:29 AM
Administrator

I've replaced the inserts on mine a few times since 09, the Texas heat cooks them. Since this I was heading to Gainesville for the NTOC show and the weather was iffy I went and checked them Thursday night. Sure enough they wear starting to shred and one of the inserts was cracked with the only thing holding it together was some rubber. The problem I ran into is my 50 year old passenger side blade assy unfortunately came apart in my hand. I like these as they had the wind deflectors that pushed them against the windshield. I went and bought the Trico Classics , the only 2 in town. They actually look very nice and a good match to my old arms at $7 and change each.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mrolds69
Rain X...I use it for the reasons here on all my old cars. If it's just a little rain, you don't need to use the wipers. If it's raining hard and your wipers break, you can still drive. When you really drive your car, you have to cover the bases!
I've found down here in Texas somehow a rainx coated windshield tends to eat your wiper blades.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
IMO still like to support brick and mortar stores, do to people having jobs and paying local taxes along with the business that they work for!
I agree with you on this, but all of the stores in my area quit selling the refill inserts. Heck, they even quit selling wipers in pairs - they are sold individually at $8-9 each. That is just insane when I have to replace them yearly on four vehicles. At one point I scoured the town and no one had 13" wipers of any form for my Wrangler. At that point, I decided that if none of the stores were going to stock parts for my vehicles then I would just buy them online in bulk.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 04:18 PM
Frank Ignachuck

I followed Tedd's advise a couple of years ago and converted to the electric wipers. Lost the windshield washers in the process, but I always use rain-x on all the exterior windows. Rock Auto for blades. But as has been mentioned, don't stock up on spares. They do dry out over time, whether on the car or on the shelf.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 05:06 PM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by Fun71
I agree with you on this, but all of the stores in my area quit selling the refill inserts. Heck, they even quit selling wipers in pairs - they are sold individually at $8-9 each. That is just insane when I have to replace them yearly on four vehicles. At one point I scoured the town and no one had 13" wipers of any form for my Wrangler. At that point, I decided that if none of the stores were going to stock parts for my vehicles then I would just buy them online in bulk.
Have you priced these newer formed fit units? They are very salty $13 each and go up to about $20. I have to buy them once a year due to the d.d.'s being in the weather year round. The rockets have priority garage parking

The big grocery chain has a sale every quarter buy one and get the other @ 50% off.

Pat
Old April 24th, 2017, 06:56 AM

Pat it's doubtful that a chain grocery store would carry wipers that look original and fit the fifties era blades. The whole unit is polished stainless, the arm and the wiper filler holder also..... Tedd
Old April 24th, 2017, 06:21 PM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Pat it's doubtful that a chain grocery store would carry wipers that look original and fit the fifties era blades. The whole unit is polished stainless, the arm and the wiper filler holder also..... Tedd
Yes, you are correct! I was referring and intending on the idea of the the cars in the last decade or so for the formed units!

Pat