Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Changing Oil in the 56 88 (Trying to)

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2019, 04:21 PM

Changing Oil in the 56 88 (Trying to)

Well, got the carb done, and moved on to something much more simple...changing my oil. But, the oil pan plug was stripped, and the drain plug on the oil canister is also stripped (I am assuming the bolt on the bottom of the oil canister is a drain plug to get the oil out of the canister before removing it). I can absolutely mangle them to get them off, but what to do then? I cannot find these parts on Fusick or Parts Geek. Anyone have any suggestions?

As always...I appreciate the help!
Old March 12th, 2019, 06:44 PM

The oil pan bolt, should be a hole in it you can insert a 1/2" ratchet into and remove. The oil filter, I've got a canister from a 1954 324 that would be available. If you need to remove the bolt with vice grips you can replace it with a used one. John
Old March 12th, 2019, 07:19 PM

Not that you don't need a new center bolt on your oil filter canister if you mangled it but if you just need to drain the old oil out of the filter there is another drain bolt that will allow you to drain the filter without running the oil down your arm and into your armpit. It is next to the mounting bolt on the housing and makes changing the oil filter much cleaner and easier. Still a dirty job though.

And if you are having trouble getting the outside canister body to seal because of a fish mouth (bulge in that thin canister gasket) try pushing just a little up on the bottom of the canister body gently so gravity doesn't allow it to un center it's self as you tighten up the long bolt that you mangled. Doesn't take much but it will often save you multiple trips under your car to stop the leaks..... Just a thought.... Tedd
Old March 14th, 2019, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by GlennC
Well, got the carb done, and moved on to something much more simple...changing my oil. But, the oil pan plug was stripped, and the drain plug on the oil canister is also stripped (I am assuming the bolt on the bottom of the oil canister is a drain plug to get the oil out of the canister before removing it). I can absolutely mangle them to get them off, but what to do then? I cannot find these parts on Fusick or Parts Geek. Anyone have any suggestions?

The bolt in the center of the canister is what holds the canister to the bracket (between the canister and the engine block). In the bracket is the drain plug. After you restore all the mangled bolts be sure to use a proper wrench when loosening or tightening them. I use a snug fitting six point socket or box end wrench. Then the bolt heads will remain good.
Old April 6th, 2019, 04:48 AM

Repair

Originally Posted by GlennC

Old April 6th, 2019, 05:10 AM

Repair

First thing is dont ruin the face where it goes against the housing but use a good pipe wrench & remove the bolt & canister once its off clean every thing up take a grade 8 1/2'' thread nut & weld it down inside the nut to the stem of the head of the housing bolt have some one with a good welder do it . Repair done. When you put your housing back on it only takes appox. 35 ft. Lbs. To keep it from leaking as long as every thing is clean,new gasket & make sure there are no sharp edges on the canister . As for the drain on thr ganister that is a 1/4 " pipe plug use a brass one to replace & put some teflon sealer on it & snug it up.. As for the pan plug is the head rounded off a bit if so hit the pan plug a couple of times with a hammer to jar it dont be afarid you wont hurt it sometimes you can use a metric socket or wrench in place of the sae size make sure either one you use are 6 point not 12 6 points grab better with a better chance of not slipping off.. Once its out u can do the same as abouve or buy a new plug . Best of luck hope this helps i've done this alot. With good success.
Old April 8th, 2019, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the advice! I was able to take off the pan plug and had a replacement from a local parts store. But, but I left the plug in the canister alone because I was afraid I would not be able to find a replacement once I got it off. Now that I know what it is...I can go ahead and do that on the next oil change!