Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

56 Holiday 98

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2014, 09:35 AM

56 Holiday 98

Hi gang, I'm new here and could use some help. These forums are the best for sharing info and helping other owners out. I moderate a vintage Thunderbird forum, but my day job has me working on a variety of cars, this time it's a very nice holiday Olds 98. I've got 2 things I need help with, 1) the top half of my engine is dark green with yellow lettering in the valve covers, I think that's correct? the block, pan, trans and bell housing are painted red. The oil filter canister still has the A/C Delco filter stencil on it. Have I got a replacement engine? Can I ID this block by casting numbers?
2) I've got some shifting issues with the Hydromatic Jetaway trans. The shop manual goes into detail on setting up the linkage, but calls out using some special tools/gauges. One measures the distance from the back of the case to the lever on the side. Are these dimensions available anywhere? I appreciate any insight you can share with me, Bob C
Old April 19th, 2014, 01:56 PM

Bob ,first off check the heads and see if it has #10 heads( number cast into the center exhaust port). If it is indeed #10 heads that will get you closer to identifying it as a 56 engine. I don't have the engine sequences for 56 but if you have the motor manual for 56 they are listed in the first few pages of the manual, if not someone should have them for you that has a manual.

The whole engine valve covers, intake, pan and block should be a forest green with the lettering being yellow as you have noted. As far as I have ever seen or remember there is no red paint on any hydramatic but it's been a while since I messed with a 56 but what I remember they were all natural unpainted. Hopefully someone else can get you the linkage information you need I'm pretty good with slant pans but it's been years since I messed with a jetaway... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old April 20th, 2014, 03:37 PM

Thanks Tedd, that helps. I've found a few other places that have Olds info, how accurate it is remains to be seen. I'll get the numbers off the block tomorrow and compare them to what I've found, and we'll see if the heads have #10. The red paint kind of throws me, because of the oil filter canister, it's stenciled and looks pretty original with red paint and black stencil. The shop manual says this (56) was the first year for the 4 speed jet-a-away trans. I found a guy not far from me that claims he knows them well, anyone heard of Charlies trans http://www.charlietranny.com/index.htm I'll shoot him an email and see if he can help me with these dimensions. Thanks again, and I'll post what I find out, Bob C
Old April 20th, 2014, 08:03 PM

You are correct about 56 being the first year for the jetaway but they did install slantpan hydramatics for a while early in 56 but as far as I have seen most were put in 88 post cars leaving the new transmission for the super 88 and 98's. In my humble opinion they trades smoothness of shift for lack of strength and durability.

That oil canister that you are looking at that is red, well they all are red or reddish orange so It could be the previous owner may have just matched it and painted the transmission that color, who knows after nearly 60 years what has happened. As far as your mechanic I don't know of him but then again I'm on the left coast and have a guy here that I use when needed.

Have you tried finding the casting numbers on the H.A.M.B. forum? Lots of good info there on these first generation Old's motors. Also Ross Racing (Toney) can tell you most anything you would ever need to know about early Olds motors and how to hop them up if you are so inclined. Just a few thoughts...Tedd
Old April 20th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Welcome Bob, post some pictures of your project when you have time.