Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

46-48 gas filler tube set up

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2011, 11:43 PM

46-48 gas filler tube set up

The gas tank, filler tube and anything else that went with it was missing from the 47 convertible when I got it. I just put in the new tank and was going to install the filler tube when it occured to me I didn't know what the heck went at the top end where the gas cap is. All my fender has is a door but nothing to hold the filler tube steady and no kind of baffle to keep mud and water from coming out through the door flap. The tank was from Tanks Inc. and it doesn't appear there is any provision for venting in tank or filler tube either. Maybe they didn't vent them back then?

Any of you guys with 46-48 cars could be extremely helpful if you could take some pics or even just a description so I have somewhere to start on this small sub-project. I think I need a parts car or access to one at the local old car pick n' pull. No luck though as 40ish Olds are scarce in the one yard that has some vintage cars in the Portland area.
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:38 AM

I have the same issue with mine. I believe you will have to fab something up and use a vented gas cap like in the old days. That's what I am going to do

Pat
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:50 AM

Gas filler tube and paraphanelia

Thanks Pat. Not a big issue to fab up some lightweight sheet metal for a baffle and make a strap of some sort to steady the tube. Just hate to reinvent the wheel. After your comment about venting I realized they had no separate vent tube so must have used a vented cap. Hope you are making good progress on yours.

Anyone else with a 40s car with gas cap under the fender 'door' is welcome to chime in with info and/or pics.
Jerry
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:43 AM

Smile Gas filler area.

Jerry;
I've got a 47 Olds coupe and just had the fender off to put new fender and body gasket on. There is a baffel between the fender and the body to prevent splash onto the filler tube area. The cap is of the old school and is vented by the cap, no tube. The fuel just splashes around and the cap prvents it from coming out. The baffel prevents tire spray from the cap area. My filler tube sets low and is difficult to fill sometimes with the new nozzles. The old style the fuel nozzles were alot longer, I seem to remember.
Hope that this info helps.
47 Coupe
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the information. Any chance of getting a picture or two and email to me?
jerome1@cni.net

Jerry
Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:38 AM

Smile 47 gas filler area.

Jerry;
I'll see if I can get some pictures of the inside of the the rear gas filler area on the 47 this weekend and try and post them next week.
47 Coupe
Old July 29th, 2011, 12:22 PM

56 Olds Gas Filler Tube

I have a 56 Olds and recently had the gas tank replaced. Does anyone have a photo of the original configuration of the Gas Filler Tube area (where you put in the gas). When they put the tank in they did not put it back the way it was. There's nothing stabilizing the filler tube.

I took a photo of mine and I had to lighten up the photo to see it clearly - so you may have to do that if you have a photo.

Thank you. Email: ford7497@nycap.rr.com

Dennis
Old July 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM

Fab'n a fuel filler piece for 40s Oldsmobile

I've been negligent sharing Citcapp's advice that I would have to fab up a piece to hold the filler pipe on my 47 and prevent wheel spray etc. I've attached some pics. The fab was done with the fender off to make it easier to get measurements and check the work as it progressed. In the last pic you can see the install complete with hole for filler tube. I cut a length of 5/16 hose and made a grommet to stop wear and rattling. It worked out nice and maybe 3-4 hours in figuring it out and building.

Don't know for sure if this will be helpful for the 55 Olds but hope so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old July 29th, 2011, 01:23 PM

Thank you for your pics. Mine gas fill area is a little different. Only problem is I wouldn't be able to remove the fender. I'll have to try to manage a bracket somehow that will stabilize the filler tube. I think I can bolt the bracket to the trunk area and affiix it to tube somehow. I found a 1957 Chevy bracket that just might work. You certainly did an excellent job on yours. Thanks for your help.