Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

303 hot start issues

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2022 | 06:49 PM

303 hot start issues

Hi friends, my 1949 Olds with the factory 303 has developed a curious issue. After taking a drive at highway speeds for more than an hour or so, the vehicle struggles to start. It acts like it's got a dead battery, but the battery is in fantastic condition. I fiddle with the key, fiddle with the neutral safety switch by moving the gear selector but none of those matter. Eventually it turns over as it should, no hesitation at all. Makes me think its a heat soak problem with the starter solenoid. I remember kits back in the day to relocate starter solenoids for some vehicles because of similar issues. Anyone ever experience this with a 303? The engine isnt overheating and the starter & solenoid were professional rebuilt this winter. Perhaps its an adjustment issue, the solenoid on the starter?
I ONLY experience this after long (hour plus drives). I drive to a car show, let the car sit for a couple hours and try to leave, then get the "click" of a dead battery till it finally turns over.
Thoughts or experience appreciated!
Nathan

Last edited by maineolds; June 17th, 2022 at 06:51 PM.
Old June 17th, 2022 | 07:32 PM
Running On Empty

A "click" isn't necessarily the hallmark of a dead battery - the click itself emanates (generally) from the solenoid. It could be the battery doesn't have enough voltage - barely enough to get the solenoid click sound. I'd be suspect of the wiring itself. Ensure your battery cable end terminals are squeaky clean at both ends of the terminals right down to polished clean metal and their is good metal where the battery cables attach (scratch the metal to get to good metal). Ensure all wires are attached and clean. If you suspect the battery cables themselves (how old are they, have they been replaced over 72yrs?). Look for any oxidized/corrosive tell-tale signs of green+blue corrosion in the cables. If your ground wires are not solid, you could be dumping battery voltage directly to ground.
Old June 17th, 2022 | 07:36 PM
Administrator

Sounds like you have a poor connection somewhere or a battery that is not in fantastic condition.
Old June 17th, 2022 | 07:41 PM

Check and clean your battery connections, all ends. You are using a battery cable of 2/0 or bigger, aren't you? These early 6 volt systems are very sensitive to small cables. Anything made for a 12 volt system, no matter how good it looks, will give you fits on a 6 volt system. That's my experience anyway...Tedd
Old June 17th, 2022 | 07:43 PM

As much as I’d like it to be those issues, it’s not. Positive and ground cables are new and correctly sized for 6v. Every connection clean and tight. Does it with a new Optima 6v and a new led acid 6v. The car starts flawlessly UNLESS it’s been run at highway speeds for an hour. Then it acts “dead” for 5-10 attempts at the starter button. Clean and tested wires going to the starter switch and starter button. No hesitation until a long drive. I’ve put on about 2000 miles without having the issue.
has anyone had a heat soak issue? I’m going to remove the starter next week and bench test the solinoid bendix for recommended clearance/throw.

Last edited by maineolds; June 17th, 2022 at 07:50 PM.
Old June 17th, 2022 | 07:55 PM

That sounds very similar to the hot start issues that I experienced with my two Cutlasses over the years. Worst time was stopping at the vet and having to run their water hose over the starter for a while to cool the starter. Most times getting a jump got it to start. The best I could determine is the solenoid was not getting enough current to engage the bendix drive. There are a multitude of reasons for that as posted above, with the common culprit being replacement clamp-on battery terminal ends.
Old June 17th, 2022 | 08:33 PM

Yes it sounds like a heat soak issue and yes I'd be suspicious of the solenoid. I've not encountered it on a 303 specifically.

If the car has a heat riser in the exhaust manifold confirm it hasn't seized closed.

Good luck!!!