Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1958 fiesta

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2022, 01:35 PM

1958 fiesta

Got the brakes worked out , although I still want to pull the drums and check them out. It definitely needs to be timed. I’m getting a slight hesitation when I hit the throttle quick. I have to step on the pedal really slow for it not to hesitate. It’ll get there. Happy it’s back on the road.

Old October 16th, 2022, 03:30 PM
Frank Ignachuck

I'm wiping the drool off my screen....
Old October 16th, 2022, 05:16 PM
Past Administrator

That car is really clean, you found a gem there. I like it.
Old October 16th, 2022, 07:25 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Gorgeous wagon!
Old October 17th, 2022, 04:57 AM

OHHH YEAHHH! . Beautiful Oldsmobile, glad you got her back on the road.
Old October 17th, 2022, 05:07 AM

Beautiful!
Old October 17th, 2022, 05:13 AM

Beautiful 58 Fiesta. Enjoy.

Wayne
Old October 17th, 2022, 07:21 AM

That hesitation on acceleration is most likely your acceleration pump cup getting old and worn/ hard. Common problem with these carbs with pre alcohol gas parts. Good-looking car, by the way, not seen often....Tedd

On your previous no brakes thread, the fuel pump vacuum has nothing to do with brakes, but only runs the wipers. You might have freed up a valve or somehow stopped a vacuum leak or broke something loose in the booster while messing with it, but that fuel pump vacuum has nothing to do with brake vacuum, if mine I would still be looking for why you had no brakes, and now you do. Pretty important stuff those brakes, intermittent sucks..Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; October 17th, 2022 at 07:41 AM.
Old October 18th, 2022, 08:07 AM
Tool Freek

I LOVE your car ENJOY it.

Bob
Old October 18th, 2022, 07:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ignachuck
I'm wiping the drool off my screen....
Originally Posted by Oldsguy
That car is really clean, you found a gem there. I like it.
Originally Posted by tnswt
Gorgeous wagon!
Amen. What an awesome wagon!!
Old October 19th, 2022, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
That hesitation on acceleration is most likely your acceleration pump cup getting old and worn/ hard. Common problem with these carbs with pre alcohol gas parts. Good-looking car, by the way, not seen often....Tedd

On your previous no brakes thread, the fuel pump vacuum has nothing to do with brakes, but only runs the wipers. You might have freed up a valve or somehow stopped a vacuum leak or broke something loose in the booster while messing with it, but that fuel pump vacuum has nothing to do with brake vacuum, if mine I would still be looking for why you had no brakes, and now you do. Pretty important stuff those brakes, intermittent sucks..Tedd
yes I agree. I actually replaced a few lines as well In addition to blocking off those ports. So maybe it was just an old hose. Brakes are good right now, but could be better. I don’t think I could get them to skid if I had to slam on them. Definitely want to pull the drums. We also put a light on it , got the timing good which got rid of that hesitation I was talking about. This car was taken care of for the most part. Found it in Canada from someone who actually cared about it. Everything works In the dash, all the electrical. There is a knocking sound I noticed. Maybe you can help me diagnose it. It’s a knock but only at idle, In drive. Not neutral or park. It goes away when the car takes off. It’s only at very low idle. Thought maybe something was just rattling in the engine bay but I couldn’t find the culprit. I pumped up the idle some, but we’re maxed out on the idle screw. Any ideas?

Last edited by New2Olds57; October 19th, 2022 at 05:33 PM.
Old October 20th, 2022, 12:26 PM
74 2.8L Capri

Originally Posted by New2Olds57
yes I agree. I actually replaced a few lines as well In addition to blocking off those ports. So maybe it was just an old hose. Brakes are good right now, but could be better. I don’t think I could get them to skid if I had to slam on them. Definitely want to pull the drums. We also put a light on it , got the timing good which got rid of that hesitation I was talking about. This car was taken care of for the most part. Found it in Canada from someone who actually cared about it. Everything works In the dash, all the electrical. There is a knocking sound I noticed. Maybe you can help me diagnose it. It’s a knock but only at idle, In drive. Not neutral or park. It goes away when the car takes off. It’s only at very low idle. Thought maybe something was just rattling in the engine bay but I couldn’t find the culprit. I pumped up the idle some, but we’re maxed out on the idle screw. Any ideas?
The idle on these isn't unusual to be in the range of 450-500 rpm. It doesn't really need to be any higher. The knocking sound could well be a sticky lifter. I have one that goes away just like you describe. Using Shell Rotella 15W-40 really helped with that. It's got the extra additives that these engines need.

Whatever you do, don't use any kind of synthetic version or blend unless you have a fresh overhaul--even then I'd stick with non-synthetic.
Old October 20th, 2022, 06:42 PM

AS mentioned above, it could be a lifter, an oil change will let you know. I also use Rotella 15-40 and like what it does for the lifters. A second guess would be wrist pin knock, sounds a lot like what you describe, generally found on older engines and usually doesn't cause a problem for a long time... Just a couple of thoughts..Tedd