Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1956 Jetaway transmission issues.

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2017, 11:32 AM

1956 Jetaway transmission issues.

I have a 1956 88 with an automatic Jetaway behind my 324. I have to rev the engine for a very lengthy period to get the tranny to engage in 1st or reverse. 2nd doesn't engage at all so I have to shift down into first on the column and then shift up into D once I get going. If I come to a complete stop I have to start the process over again.

The only tranny guy near me that knows about the Jetaway won't touch it and suggested a 700r4. He almost had me convinced but after thinking more into it I decided I would rather have a period correct tranny.

In my hunt I ran across a 1955 98 with the automatic Hydramatic. Now I know the two transmissions are different but I'm curious what it would take for this swap. The 55 shows 59k miles and has been sitting a loooong time.

Is this swap worth it and how hard would it be to do?
Old June 22nd, 2017, 02:31 PM

They will swap but you will not need the transmission cooler as the Slant Pan doesn't use or need it. The length I believe is the same and so are the mounts and crank pilot hole will be the same. Linkage will need to be changed adjusted(carb to transmission) and the gear selector will not read correctly on the dash. Probably other things I'm not thinking about but nothing that is a major problem.

All That being said the chances of that Slant Pan being a good running transmission after setting for multiple decades is pretty slim, could happen but probably not. I love the Slant Pan but given the choices you have if it were mine I would probably have the Jet a Way rebuilt, there are shops that still do the work if you search around. I also would buy that Slant Pan and keep it for a rainy day, they aren't near as many coming up for sale anymore....Just my thoughts on the subject.... Tedd
Old June 22nd, 2017, 04:52 PM

Thank you for the info Ted. Suppose I'll widen my search for someone willing to work on the Jetaway.

I had read a lot of bad stuff on the Jetaway. I read at least two threads of people having them rebuilt and then after a very short time the tranny failed again.

I did also catch a thread saying there's an aftermarket part to correct the problem the Jetaway had. Do you have any info on that? I haven't been able to find it again.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 05:35 PM

Here is a thread that may help or just repeat things you already know..... Tedd

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nsmission.html
Old June 22nd, 2017, 06:06 PM

There was a problem in 56 Jet a Ways that was addressed in 57 but I can't remember what it was all about. 56's had quite a few early problems. It seems their cam shafts were prone to go flat but that usually happened early in there life. Also if you switch transmissions if I'm remembering this correctly you may have to swap transmission rear yokes..... Tedd
Old July 4th, 2017, 12:55 PM

I had a hydramatic in my 56 super 88 and changed it to a totally rebuild Jetaway. The Jetaway is much better in the daily driving.
The pilot bearing had to be removed, as the hydramatic is driven by a shaft and the jetaway has a flex plate.
Rebuild the Jetaway is my advice...
Old July 4th, 2017, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by rusted metal
I have a 1956 88 with an automatic Jetaway behind my 324.
I'm wondering if that transmission is original to the car. The reason I ask is that the Oldsmobile Shop Manual for 1956 says that the 88 came equipped with a Hydramatic the same as in 1955, and the Jetaway came in the S88 & 98 series cars. Are you SURE about what you have? Look at the serial number plate on the transmission. It will have lead characters of R55- if it is a 1955 Hydramatic. The lead characters will be 056- if it is a Jetaway. Both tags are orange in color. The one for the 1955 Hydramatic will be located on the lower left rear corner of the transmission case. On the Jetaway, it is located on the left side of the case to the rear of the throttle and manual levers.
Old July 4th, 2017, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ozzie
I'm wondering if that transmission is original to the car. The reason I ask is that the Oldsmobile Shop Manual for 1956 says that the 88 came equipped with a Hydramatic the same as in 1955, and the Jetaway came in the S88 & 98 series cars. Are you SURE about what you have? Look at the serial number plate on the transmission. It will have lead characters of R55- if it is a 1955 Hydramatic. The lead characters will be 056- if it is a Jetaway. Both tags are orange in color. The one for the 1955 Hydramatic will be located on the lower left rear corner of the transmission case. On the Jetaway, it is located on the left side of the case to the rear of the throttle and manual levers.
Yep 100% sure mine starts with 056. They pushed some off the line with the Jetaway in the 2nd half of that year. Mine happened to be one of them.
Old July 4th, 2017, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by The_German
I had a hydramatic in my 56 super 88 and changed it to a totally rebuild Jetaway. The Jetaway is much better in the daily driving.
The pilot bearing had to be removed, as the hydramatic is driven by a shaft and the jetaway has a flex plate.
Rebuild the Jetaway is my advice...
Thanks for your input. I believe that's what I'll do.
Old July 5th, 2017, 02:11 AM

Very easy to find out, if you run a Jetaway:

1) P as the park position, was not available on the early Hydramatics, they were parked in R.

2) Driving a Jetaway is the big difference from a Hydramatic. Gear change from 1 to 2 happens nearly unnoticed, same from 3 to 4.
The only "kick in the back" if ever comes changing from 2 to 3.
Old July 5th, 2017, 04:08 AM

I'd probably vote for keeping originality also. If the fluid has been in there a long time, it might be worth trying a change. Sometime fresh fluid of the correct type at the correct level can work wonders. If not that, then probably an overhaul is in order, but be sure that a careful and knowledgeable person works on it.
Old July 5th, 2017, 06:41 AM

Especially the correct level of the fluid is of utmost importance! ATF will do.
Old July 5th, 2017, 06:46 AM

My Jetaway was perfectly made by Mr Steve Peluso at.

Lee Myles Auto Care & Transmission, West Roxbury Mass
@leemyleswestroxbury

I got mine on a scrap yard, so Steve did the entire gearbox inside and outside, it works totally perfect!
Old July 5th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by The_German
My Jetaway was perfectly made by Mr Steve Peluso at.

Lee Myles Auto Care & Transmission, West Roxbury Mass
@leemyleswestroxbury

I got mine on a scrap yard, so Steve did the entire gearbox inside and outside, it works totally perfect!
Steve did my Jetaway four years ago!! He's absolutely the best. By the way, I found out about him through this site, and it turns out he's only 45 minutes from me.
Old July 5th, 2017, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
Steve did my Jetaway four years ago!! He's absolutely the best. By the way, I found out about him through this site, and it turns out he's only 45 minutes from me.
Is he taking more work? Where is he located and approximately how much does it cost to fix one?

Cheers
Darren
Old July 5th, 2017, 08:11 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have a guy south of Fort Worth that did my 54 back in February. Let me know if you are interested. He is 77 years old and very experienced on these old transmissions.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 01:32 AM

Fort Worth transmission mechanic

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I have a guy south of Fort Worth that did my 54 back in February. Let me know if you are interested. He is 77 years old and very experienced on these old transmissions.
hi my name is Greg I live in Fort Worth could you please give me the name and phone number of the gentleman that works on the transmissions for work thank you
Old August 2nd, 2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gfish
hi my name is Greg I live in Fort Worth could you please give me the name and phone number of the gentleman that works on the transmissions for work thank you
Im not sure how I missed this but I'm also interested.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 07:04 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

His name is Irby Westmoreland and his phone number is
Home (817) 295-4196 / Cell (214) 923-0950
He is 77 years old and owned a transmission shop in Dallas for a long time. He has no place to pull a transmission. He rebuilds them at his home in Burleson. He made arrangements with C&R Transmission in Dallas to R&R the transmission. They are good guys and I paid them direct. He does not use any foreign parts. Although I never emailed him, I see he has an email address on the invoice and it is vintagetransmissions@gmail.com. He was referred to me by several people.
Old August 5th, 2017, 11:21 AM

jetaway

Originally Posted by rusted metal
Is he taking more work? Where is he located and approximately how much does it cost to fix one?

Cheers
Darren
i heard yesterday he is liquidating and selling out
Old August 5th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
i heard yesterday he is liquidating and selling out
I just sent Steve (Lee Myles) an email.

Hope its not true.
Old August 5th, 2017, 05:00 PM

I use a shop in Chico Ca. called Transmatic. The owner (in his 80's) was a Oldsmobile racer in his day and knows these transmissions, does good work. I understand this would be a long hike from the east coast but if all else fails I recommend him with no reservation.... Tedd

https://www.yellowpages.com/chico-ca...pair-461716842

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; August 5th, 2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old August 11th, 2017, 09:23 AM

just more info on another guy here on west coast, GENE,has a small shop but help me w the few parts i needed.like others he’s an old timer,w a lot of kool stories.

http://www.restorationhydramatics.com