Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1956 Headliner Replacement - Do it Yourself and Get It Right

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2013, 05:13 PM

1956 Headliner Replacement - Do it Yourself and Get It Right

Hopefully this will help someone down the road.I had been trying to get this underway for some time. The hold-up being my refusal to pay 40 bucks a yard for the correct red perforated vinyl from SMS auto fabrics,plus shipping of course. If you are a stickler for originality like me, then you will understand all the fuss. Try searching the web for perforated vinyl with the correct size and shape holes that doesn't cost a fortune - good luck. But I have found the solution. Defender Marine in Conn. has a good selection of perforated vinyl that is correct at a fair price but unfortunately it is all in white or off white. This is where vinyl spray comes into play. Anyone that has used it know that it works well. The lowest priced vinyl was $ 7.99 a yard and the next up was $12.99 a yard, the one I chose as it was lighter,identical to the original and UV treated. Total needed is 3 yards, which hopefully should leave enough for sunvisors ,should I choose to do those also. There are headliners for sale on ebay for just over 200 bucks. The vinyl doesn't match the original and I would be wary of any headliner that may or may not match up. Its a lot of dough to waste. If you can't sew, find someone who can and get it done right.

So here you see I have un-stitched all the panels,and also ironed all the edges flat using a wet cloth. Not all the panels are cut straight and I am right now trying to figure out which are cut straight and which are distorted. Numbering the panels is essential. In the last photo,you can see the panels laid out on the 3 metres of vinyl. Not much room for error. Buy an extra yard if you are worried. More to come.....

Old December 10th, 2013, 05:10 AM

Is your vinyl spray an exact match of the original liner? If not, a white liner will match any color, except black.
I last ordered a replacement headliner for my '56 Chevy from J.C.Whitney, back in the mid-70's. But, it was cloth. It fit well, though
Old December 10th, 2013, 06:24 AM

I did my own too out of cloth that matched the seats.
One mistake I made was using the relatively thick headliner material rather than listing for the bow sleeves. The plastic clips were not made for anything that thick around the bows.
Be sure to use UV resistant thread too.
I used the clips and let it heat cycle a few days to get the wrinkles out and re-tighten after things stretched, then glued in place.
I took the same tactic of numbering and copying the original panels.
DSCN0263.jpg

Installed:
DSCN0280.jpg

Last edited by garys 68; December 10th, 2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old December 10th, 2013, 06:45 AM

I am most humbled by the DIY initiative you 2 guys have.

George
Old December 10th, 2013, 07:04 AM

I can do just about anything required to my car from minor repairs to engine rebuilds. When it comes to headliners no way. I am in awe of this thread.
Old December 10th, 2013, 07:26 AM

Interesting thread. Waiting for the next installment. Not sure if I am up to this task. I am facing this on my 48 Olds which has several bows
Old December 10th, 2013, 09:34 AM

Do you have an old one as a template?

Originally Posted by citcapp
Interesting thread. Waiting for the next installment. Not sure if I am up to this task. I am facing this on my 48 Olds which has several bows
Old December 14th, 2013, 06:37 AM

Nice work, as others have said I don't think I could even attempt it...luckily mine is in decent shape but I do have an old 52 pickup that will need it. Maybe I can talk the old girl into dusting off the sowing machine.
Old December 14th, 2013, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by garys 68
Do you have an old one as a template?
Nope I bought the car as a shell with no interior at all but all of the bows brackets and bright work came with the car. So I do not have anything to use as a pattern.
Old December 14th, 2013, 09:48 AM

You're going to screw up the first one, so if time is critical or your material is expensive, take it to an upholstery shop.
If you already have a sewing machine and want to do it yourself, let me know. There are a couple ways to do it, I can give you some directions and a source for materials you'll need.

Originally Posted by citcapp
Nope I bought the car as a shell with no interior at all but all of the bows brackets and bright work came with the car. So I do not have anything to use as a pattern.
Old January 12th, 2014, 02:35 PM

I have reposted this topic to keep it all together rather than having gaps throughout.