Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1955 Super 88 - New member, new project

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2020, 01:12 AM

Hi Gang, it has been a while. Not much was happening with my 55 Super 88, and it was getting to me just having it sit around in the garage.

But good news, I found a new guy to work on my car, old retired guy by the name of Joe here who sold old car parts and has worked on old cars most of his life.

He also re-built my original carb and took off the replacement that was on it, and re-installed the original Olds carb and the original air filter, and I like the look. Seems to run good. But not really certain as he still has it in his shop to finish up a few more things.
He rebuilt the booster, and that seems to be working much better. He still needs to road test it and see if the old brake drums still have enough life in them or not, but this is definitely a step in the right direction.
He also finally found the problem with the horn. The wire that runs through the steering column was disconnected at the point where it had been soldered to a metal ring. So no grounding. Horns now work again from the wheel and are loud!
He also helped me to remove the one last stubborn screw on my broken back door hinge, so that we finally could put on the replacement that I got from one of the other members here.

Of course it cost a bit, but a lot has been done on it, and I think it's going to be much more drivable now. My only regret is that I didn't find him sooner. It would have saved me a lot of money and frustration.

I will let you know more after I get it home and have a chance to drive it. But I think there is a good chance that we will be taking it to a car show and out for some rides this spring and summer!

John in Portland, OR
Old February 18th, 2020, 01:20 AM
Phantom Phixer

Glad you found somebody to help you , John .
We "old timers " who know how to do such things as repair carburators are getting scarcer each day .
Old February 19th, 2020, 08:34 AM

Thanks Charlie, what are you working on these days?

John
Old February 19th, 2020, 04:17 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by johnlivo
Thanks Charlie, what are you working on these days?

John
It's story is on this thread ;
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...oration-53069/
Old May 16th, 2020, 10:47 PM

You've got a nice looking 55 Olds