Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1955 Olds bench seat lower plastic

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2017, 01:34 PM

1955 Olds bench seat lower plastic

Has anyone reproduced the bench seat lower plastic pieces for the 55 or 56 Olds. Most used ones that I have seen are in pretty bad shape. I guess people are trying to piece them togother.
Old March 1st, 2017, 02:48 PM

Lower plastic pieces.

Doubt that anyone reproducing them. I might have one side(not sure which). Not sure how they would endure shipping tho. They're pretty fragile.
Old March 1st, 2017, 03:47 PM

I have seen them with a vinyl covering, covers up cracks and looked good. The missing chips and pieces were patched from the back side with fiberglass. If you have all or most of the pieces this could be option....Tedd
Old March 1st, 2017, 07:58 PM

http://www.justdashes.com/2013/07/19...t-restoration/

Just Dashes restores them. As yet I have no experience with the process, but we have a set for our '56 that will need some help eventually.
Old March 1st, 2017, 08:32 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd that is a great idea. Mine are pieced together and painted. I may give that a try.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 07:37 AM

Has anyone had Just Dashes restore their skirts and were satisfied with the workmanship?
Old March 2nd, 2017, 09:01 AM

They do great work but are VERY expensive on what ever they work on. Out of my league .... Tedd
Old March 2nd, 2017, 02:55 PM

They are just over the hill from me so I will take them and get an idea of cost.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 04:27 PM
Frank Ignachuck

[QUOTE=lonestarjarhead;995481]Doubt that anyone reproducing them. I might have one side(not sure which). Not sure how they would endure shipping tho. They're pretty fragile.[/QUOTE
Easy to tell which side is which: The left side has a slot for the seat adjust lever and the right side has two small holes for the Fisher Body emblem.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 04:45 PM

Showing up on eBay doesn't mean they are reproduced, which is what what OldsScott was asking. I was merely telling that I might have one or both available, but since they weren't in my line of sight at that time, I wasn't sure which one I had that was in good shape. I have several, and Ignachuck is right, the driver's side has a slot it it. I think a lot of posters here are way to quick to critique and find faults with other folk's posts
Old March 2nd, 2017, 06:56 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Hey Jim:

If Olds Scott doesn't take them or you have an extra pair that are decent, bring them my way the next time you are coming this way.

Thanks

Glenn
Old March 3rd, 2017, 07:10 AM

The pair I need are for the 4 way power seat that was special ordered with power windows.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Olds Scott
The pair I need are for the 4 way power seat that was special ordered with power windows.
Is the switch located on the on the lower plastic piece or in a different location. The regular manual seat bottom is pretty thin material to support or take abuse from much of anything. I guess what I a'm asking is does a power seat bottom differ from a non power seat bottom? ..... Tedd
Old March 3rd, 2017, 02:31 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Is the switch located on the on the lower plastic piece or in a different location. The regular manual seat bottom is pretty thin material to support or take abuse from much of anything. I guess what I a'm asking is does a power seat bottom differ from a non power seat bottom? ..... Tedd
Tedd, I don't know how it's reinforced, but the power seat switch is attached to the plastic trim. As we all know, plastic wasn't very good in those days. The seat trim in 54-56 was held in place with a metal finger that always poked through. I've reinforced mine with a metal bar but it's still cracked.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 04:40 PM

These things are just plastic. With as many 55 and 56s around you would think some enterprising person would tackle replication and fabrication. The weak points of these covers could be addressed with new materials that would last longer. Wonder if Fusick's has considered this project.
Old March 27th, 2017, 11:05 PM

I have a few pairs of the lower seat covers, but the most pristine set I will use on my car and I might let some or all of the others go. Many parts came with my car when I purchased it including bits and pieces of the autonic eye and left over stainless, hood lip moldings (2 of them are roached, one us best mi t and will eventually be on the car. The one on the car looks okay until you open the hood. I will take inventory in the next few days and advise.
Old March 28th, 2017, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I don't have both to compare now, nor do I have comparative photos, but as I remember, both are of the same fragile construction. The only difference I remember is where the holes were cut. On the power seat version the slot for the manual seat adjuster was absent and there was a round or oval hole for the 4 way electrical switch, in a more forward location. I hope that I'm remembering correctly.