The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1955 bench seat relocation.

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2012, 05:51 PM

1955 bench seat relocation.

I am 6'4" and need to move my 1955 bench seat back about 3". The GM disc and manual does not show me how it is connected to the floor. What is the best process to do this.
Old October 10th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Not sure why you need to move it..I'm 6'5" and drive one daily with enough leg room plus - but if you need to move it, you'll have to unbolt it from the floor, move it back to your desired location, and drill new holes - the original holes are threaded, so you'll have to replace with through bolts with nuts on the backside (i.e. underside) - use big flat washers to avoid them pulling out in an accident - also, the floor pans are contoured around the mounting points, so if you move you may need to shim the feet of the seat tracks up to get a level seat. - Once you unbolt it you should be able to see how to do it
Old October 11th, 2012, 07:14 AM

Also the left hand side bolts will be under the vacuum tank if you have power brakes, you may find it easier to remove it while your making this adaption as described above.

I'm also over 6' and of stout build ( you can read that as fat) and I have plenty of room in the leg department, is your seat at it's farthest rear placement ?Sometimes they rust up and will not slide completely back. Also keep in mind that the rear seat will have almost no leg room if you move it back more than a couple inches...Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; October 11th, 2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added thought
Old October 11th, 2012, 05:17 PM

Thanks for your help. The steering wheel is about 2" from my stomach and i have 36" arms. I know that I might need to lose a few pounds but I'm about 265 and do not have a huge stomach.
Old October 11th, 2012, 06:01 PM

I'm not sure what you use you car for( show or just a neat driver). But if you replace that 18 inch wheel with something a little more normal you could maybe fix your problem, that is if it is equipped with power steering now. Other wise go a head and move it back...Tedd
Old October 11th, 2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I'm not sure what you use you car for( show or just a neat driver). But if you replace that 18 inch wheel with something a little more normal you could maybe fix your problem, that is if it is equipped with power steering now. Other wise go a head and move it back...Tedd

Thanks for your help. It has a custom interior and original steering wheel and dash. I am long waisted and have short legs-but still am not able to stretch out. Thanks to Olds Dad too. I'll send you guys some pictures when I can this weekend. There is not another old olds in the area. I am 50 miles due west of Savannah,GA-Claxton. Thanks again guys.