Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?

Old September 30th, 2016, 09:03 PM

1948 Oldsmobile model 66 Deluxe Club Coupe

My name is Robert C Peterson Jr. I have owned my Oldsmobile for "55 years". I have 30 years of resources, for parts, shop manual, tech manual, accessory manual, Hollander Interchange Manual, GM Interchange Manual. My email is rc_peterson23@yahoo.com-- I live in Rochester, NY 14625. Send me your questions VIA my email. I belong to the N.A.O.C. National Oldsmobile Club of America, member #456, out of 3,500 members.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 12:15 AM

Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile Vintage forum and the 46-48 thread. Thanks for the offer of your knowledge and references. How about sending some photos of your 48 model 66 deluxe coupe? We all like photos and admiring other members efforts.
This is sort of an eclectic group of 'fat fender Olds owners. Some restore, some modify and some 'hide' their modifications under stock appearing exteriors. We sort of stretch the original 46-48 thread to include 41, 42 and occasional 49 car. Maybe I should re title the thread 40s Oldsmobiles?
Jerry

Last edited by 47 Convertible; October 2nd, 2016 at 12:17 AM. Reason: correction
Old October 2nd, 2016, 05:31 AM

Hello Robert. Always glad to have more knowledge available! Thanks for sharing what you have learned over your many years of ownership and experience.
Old October 5th, 2016, 06:15 PM

I'm looking for a pair of fender skirts for my -42. Ebay have tons of Chevy skirts but none to Olds. Is there any interchageability?
Old October 5th, 2016, 06:22 PM

Just in case there were members looking for a '46 six coupe to add to the collection..... Hot Springs AR.... Not mine..

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5813165256.html
Old October 5th, 2016, 10:20 PM

Fender Skirt Interchangability

Originally Posted by Vellu
I'm looking for a pair of fender skirts for my -42. Ebay have tons of Chevy skirts but none to Olds. Is there any interchageability?

Hi Vellu, I'm not sure but will do some research. Night here and bed time for old guys like me so I will look tomorrow at my Hollanders Interchange Manual to see if the rear fenders interchange. If so, there is a good chance the fender skirts would also interchange.
Jerry
Old October 6th, 2016, 01:17 PM

Interchange with Chevy fender skirts

Hi Vellu, I did look in both my Oldsmobile chassis parts book and Hollanders 16th Edition Interchange Manual and did not see an interchange listed for either rear fenders or fender skirts between Chevrolet and Oldsmobiles. So I cannot say positively the Chevy fender skirts you see listed on Ebay will fit your Oldsmobile

Your 1942 rear fenders do appear to interchange with 1946-48 Model 66-68 Oldsmobile rear fenders. In case you see 46-48 Olds fender skirts for sale. Just be sure they are for the Model 66-68.

What you could also do is make a pattern on paper of your rear fender wheel cutout and find someone who has a 42-48 Chevy and see if it matches the rear wheel cutout on their Chevrolet. If it does you could then consider how you would mount the fender skirts on your Oldsmobile and the mounting method may not be the same. I do not think it would be too difficult to make Chevy mounts fit up to your Olds. Just make sure the mounting hardware is included with the fender skirts.

Finally, look in recent posts in this thread for the one from Robert Peterson who has offered his experience and reference materials to assist 40s Oldsmobile owners. He might have more information on your hunt for fender skirts.
Jerry
Old October 7th, 2016, 12:17 AM

Thanks Jerry!

There's not that many 40's car near me so finding one is tough thing to do.

Maybe easiest way for me is just take pattern of that wheel cutout and try to farbicate something on my own. Result may not be as good as buying some pre fabricated but have to try.
Old October 7th, 2016, 05:41 AM

You may want to get in contact with Big Jim's fender skirts in Whitney, TX. I don't know if he ships internationally, but it would be worth asking.

http://www.bigjims.net/
Old October 7th, 2016, 08:49 AM

More on fender skirts

Thanks Jerry!

There's not that many 40's car near me so finding one is tough thing to do.

Maybe easiest way for me is just take pattern of that wheel cutout and try to farbicate something on my own. Result may not be as good as buying some pre fabricated but have to try.

Hello Vellu, Before you try to make your own fender skirts do what Funkwagon455 suggested and contact Big Jim's. I was not aware of that company or I would have suggested a contact with them.

If they have them but won't ship outside the USA let me know and maybe we can work something out so I can take delivery and forward them to you.
Jerry
Old October 10th, 2016, 07:05 AM

Hi my name is Reggie and I live in Welland Ont.Canada my friend just bought what looks like a 1947 Oldsmobile 4 DR looks like a limo it has a straight eight in it but it's seized.He's looking for a block or complete engine any help would be appreciated.It's also a very low mileage car.Thanks in advance Reggie
Old October 10th, 2016, 07:14 AM

Welcome to the site. I believe I'd try very hard to unseize your low mileage engine and do a mild overhaul before I'd pull it for scrap. Maybe just needs some soaking and TLC. Just saying....
Old October 10th, 2016, 07:33 AM

1947 Olsdmobile

Hi Funkwagon 455 my friend tried to take the head off and there was still a head bolt left and didn't see it and tried to pry it loose and cracked the block.I'll take pictures of it and put it on here we don't know what model it is it looks like a limo it's very big.Reggie
Old October 10th, 2016, 07:51 AM

This comes to mind...Share some pics when you can...

https://www.google.com/search?q=home...VHAlqNkBmIM%3A
Old October 10th, 2016, 08:21 AM

Fix or Replace. pros and cons

[QUOTE=Brent55;959523]Hi Funkwagon 455 my friend tried to take the head off and there was still a head bolt left and didn't see it and tried to pry it loose and cracked the block.

All may not be lost. Cast Iron can be welded with ferro nickel rod and pre heating but engines are dirty and oily and the crack would need to be ground out, and thoroughly degreased and then heated prior to welding. Not a job for an amateur and it might cost as much as a used engine. Cast Iron can also be brazed with bronze. There is also a process called metal stitching that uses interlocking pins. Your friend should research all of these on the Internet. The caveat is that repair might not work depending on where on the block it is and the skill of the repair person.

I've seen 40s Oldsmobile engines, including 8 cylinder, on Ebay and on Craigslist. Put an ad in parts wanted here on Classic Oldsmobile. There was an 8 cylinder engine for sale in British Columbia about a year ago. He may have to search far and wide, be persistent and be up for major freight cost. The downside to a replacement engine is that sellers frequently don't know or may even hide the true condition so its kind of a 'pig in a poke'. You pay your money and you take your chances on places like Ebay and Craigslist.

Your friend might want to spend some time trying to locate wrecking yards with vintage cars to see if an 8 cylinder flathead Olds engine could be found. Odds are it would be a rebuilder and not some 'plug n' play' engine.

Jerry
Old October 12th, 2016, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile Vintage forum and the 46-48 thread. Thanks for the offer of your knowledge and references. How about sending some photos of your 48 model 66 deluxe coupe? We all like photos and admiring other members efforts.
This is sort of an eclectic group of 'fat fender Olds owners. Some restore, some modify and some 'hide' their modifications under stock appearing exteriors. We sort of stretch the original 46-48 thread to include 41, 42 and occasional 49 car. Maybe I should re title the thread 40s Oldsmobiles?
Jerry
That would certainly be nice Jerry. That would open the door for me and my two '49's. A 76 coupe, and a rare 98 convertible
The coupe Hydramatic is a 95% original Big Six, but it does have a 12 volt system. I need the steering wheel horn assembly and a couple of 12 volt "snail" shaped horns.
The 98 convertible is a restomod with a Chevy 5.3L with cold air induction and Sanderson Headers. The tranny is a 4L60e and a 3.34 Posi rear end. This car is still under construction. Right now a I need the hood latch that goes on the panel between the grille and radiator, and the two front bumper, bumper guards.

Ready To Roll 09-29-16.jpg

IMG_9230.JPG
Old October 13th, 2016, 12:01 AM

[QUOTE=Oldsr4me;960128]
The coupe Hydramatic is a 95% original Big Six,

Tell me more about the big six. I'm familiar with the 238 cubic inch Olds had for years but not the 257 cubic inch six cylinder. I'm guessing its a bored out 238 engine since that would be the easiest way to get the bigger displacement.

As far as renaming and expanding the thread to include 40-49 I'd have to defer to the moderators and see if its possible to rename the thread but still keep all the posts and replies. I personally think it would make it a more useful resource and we're talking the same engines and power train except for the 303 V8 added in 1949.

There is parts interchangeability among a lot of years and models in the 1940s Oldsmobiles.
Jerry
Old October 13th, 2016, 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=47 Convertible;960138]
Originally Posted by Oldsr4me
The coupe Hydramatic is a 95% original Big Six,

Tell me more about the big six. I'm familiar with the 238 cubic inch Olds had for years but not the 257 cubic inch six cylinder. I'm guessing its a bored out 238 engine since that would be the easiest way to get the bigger displacement.

As far as renaming and expanding the thread to include 40-49 I'd have to defer to the moderators and see if its possible to rename the thread but still keep all the posts and replies. I personally think it would make it a more useful resource and we're talking the same engines and power train except for the 303 V8 added in 1949.

There is parts interchangeability among a lot of years and models in the 1940s Oldsmobiles.
Jerry
Thanks Jerry. No need to change it on my behalf, if no one minds me and my pair of '49's.
I don't know the evolution of the 257, but I found it interesting it is only 8ci's less than the Chevy 265ci in one of my '56 Chevy's. I've got this sb tweaked to about 215hp (estimated) with ported heads, a hotter cam, headers with 2.25" dual exhaust, and a 500cfm 4bbl. Nothing drastic, but it sure improved the performance...specially with a 700r4 tranny.
I'd like to know what others have done to tweak some more horsepower from the tepid 105HP of the 257.
Please don't get me wrong, I am now quite comfortable driving the car as is with the restored Hydramatic, shocks, brakes, and steering.
The thought has crossed my mind to test my 76 in a 1/4 mile run against my '41 Merc flattie with it's 100HP, but they're both low mile overhaul engines, and I'd hate to ruin either one of them. It's fun to think about it and I'm sure google already has some numbers, but it's not the same.
Thanks again,
Bob
Old October 13th, 2016, 10:37 AM

If you want a little more 'snort' out of that flathead six I'd have the head milled to improve on that 6.5:1 factory compression ratio. I think it was that way to compensate for the relatively poor quality gasoline available in those days.

Not sure about Olds but the Pontiac flathead 8s with very similar engine architecture had an optional "high compression" head available in 1950. That tells me the factory knew their engine hp could be boosted and they chose higher compression as the way to get there. My Dad bought a Pontiac 8 Silverstreak new in 1950 and it came from the factory with the "high compression head. The term was cast into the top of the head. Dad was not a car guy and paid no attention to my 10 year old pleading to "get an Olds with a V8" I knew at that age that the OHV V8 Olds was the coolest car on the road.
Jerry
Old October 13th, 2016, 11:13 AM

If you want a little more 'snort' out of that flathead six I'd have the head milled to improve on that 6.5:1 factory compression ratio. I think it was that way to compensate for the relatively poor quality gasoline available in those days.

Not sure about Olds but the Pontiac flathead 8s with very similar engine architecture had an optional "high compression" head available in 1950. That tells me the factory knew their engine hp could be boosted and they chose higher compression as the way to get there. My Dad bought a Pontiac 8 Silverstreak new in 1950 and it came from the factory with the "high compression head. The term was cast into the top of the head. Dad was not a car guy and paid no attention to my 10 year old pleading to "get an Olds with a V8" I knew at that age that the OHV V8 Olds was the coolest car on the road.
Jerry

Thanks Jerry. Yeah I thought about reworking the heads with larger valves, looking for mildly hot cam, and a special dual exhaust header.
Old October 15th, 2016, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
You may want to get in contact with Big Jim's fender skirts in Whitney, TX. I don't know if he ships internationally, but it would be worth asking.

http://www.bigjims.net/
Apparently Big Jims isn't interested to do business internationally. Contacted them week ago but never get any answer.

Luckily there's one seller in Ebay who sells those skirts. Sadly those skirts have no trim but still better than no skirts at all.
Old October 28th, 2016, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Brent55
Hi my name is Reggie and I live in Welland Ont.Canada my friend just bought what looks like a 1947 Oldsmobile 4 DR looks like a limo it has a straight eight in it but it's seized.He's looking for a block or complete engine any help would be appreciated.It's also a very low mileage car.Thanks in advance Reggie
I'm gathering that the distance would hinder this option.....

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5850216816.html
Old October 29th, 2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by rc_peterson23@yahoo.com
My name is Robert C Peterson Jr. I have owned my Oldsmobile for "55 years". I have 30 years of resources, for parts, shop manual, tech manual, accessory manual, Hollander Interchange Manual, GM Interchange Manual. My email is rc_peterson23@yahoo.com-- I live in Rochester, NY 14625. Send me your questions VIA my email. I belong to the N.A.O.C. National Oldsmobile Club of America, member #456, out of 3,500 members.
Hello Robert. Very kind of you to offer your services. I'm a newbie at this, but I jumped into it buying two 1949 Olds. One is a 76 coupe, and the other a 98 convertible. I've left the coupe pretty much original except for converting it to a 12 volt alternator. The convertible is a different matter. It will be a restomod. The door handles have been shaved at all the emblems removed including the hood ornament.
It now has a Chevy 5.3L engine with a 4L60e transmission, but still requires all the interconnect.
I am buying parts as I find I need them. Right now I need either the whole front bumper, or I can get by with just the bumper guards as I have the old bumper. I also need the part that that attaches to the rear part f the body that covers the area between body and rear bumper. I don't even now what that part is called but you can see it hanging from the rear of my 76.
Can you help with any of this? I'm not sure of your email, so I will send you a PM.

IMG_9184.JPG

IMG_9230.JPG
Old November 2nd, 2016, 09:36 PM

olds fender extensions are just that.. Olds only.
fusick had a pair.. that I bought in 2001 for 75.00...

I was amazed at the cost and am glad I have had them..

didnt check the entire thread yet, but the rocker moldings are TOUGH to find.. i managed to locate a street rodder who was removing his.. and I have a set of driver quality moldings on my car..

See picture for comparison of Olds and Chevy rocker extensions. What pic doesn't show is that Chevy is also too short. I took my Olds rocker extension to Chevs of the 40s which is about 20 mi. from me and compared it to their 46-48 and the olds is quite a lot different. Mostly it is longer by about 6 inches at 33.5 in. total and 5.5 wide which is not as wide as the Chevy. There are other differences.

I was too late today to call EMS since I'm on Pacific Time and they are Eastern, but I will call them Thursday and check to see what they have for 1947 Model 66, style 3567. Thanks for that tip.
Old November 10th, 2016, 08:13 AM

Trim strips for 1947 model 60 hood

I'm looking for a driver quality or better center hood trim piece. Some rust bustin' through the chrome on the one I have. Anyone have an extra to sell or any leads on where one might be available?

This is the trim strip behind the hood ornament, not the ornament.

Also have a question about the small trim strip ahead of the ornament. Mine is painted but I've seen others that appear to be chromed. Any idea which is correct for my model 68 convertible?

Thanks for any replies,
Jerry
Old December 15th, 2016, 11:15 AM

dash chrome, steering wheel and other trim 4sale

Just a heads up to let you know.

I just posted to Olds Parts for Sale in Classified Forum a bunch of stuff that I won't need for my 47. A few pieces are specific to convertible (door and wing window) others are more generic to 46-48 cars.

with Christmas season and some lousy weather here it might take me a day or so to respond to inquiries, particularly for more photos.
Jerry
Old December 20th, 2016, 07:17 PM

1947 Convertible progress report

After years on mechanicals including complete power train implant, better suspension and fixing up a rough body and then final body work and paint earlier this year, the 47 is finally at the Upholstery and Top shop where a total interior and top will be done starting with the top. I gave myself an early Christmas treat and drove up to Longview, WA to take a peek and some photos.

The top is about 80% done but needs finishing touches, The back seat was totally shot so a new back seat will be hand built. The top may be done by New Years Day (hope,hope). Then interior panels, a new rear seat built and front seat rebuilt and recovered.
Jerry

Old December 21st, 2016, 05:19 AM

Wow! That car is going to be stunning! Very cool, Jerry
Old December 23rd, 2016, 04:36 PM

Looking for Windlace retainer 46-48 Oldsmobile

FOUND. NO LONGER NEED.
Need passenger side windlace retainer that fits on side of A pillar. Convertible would be perfect but I can modify coupe or sedan front door piece. Photo shows convertible windlace retainer. My upholstery shop is at the point they need this in the next week or so to continue making progress. I'd really appreciate anyone who has a 46-48 parts car checking to see if that piece is still on or stashed in your shop/garage and sending a pm to me. A photo showing condition would be helpful.
Thanks for replying or any leads.
Jerry

Last edited by 47 Convertible; January 15th, 2017 at 08:53 PM. Reason: no longer need
Old December 27th, 2016, 12:55 AM

Vellu, coulden't you use a pair of aftermarket teardropskirts? I bought a pair for my -40 Olds and I think they look good. I've seen them on 46-48 Olds too and they fit well. The photo shows my -40 with these skirts.

Old January 15th, 2017, 07:31 PM

46 66 series stock front end parts....

Before I toss this front end in the trash metal heap, thought I would drop a quick post here to make sure no one is looking for good stock front end pieces of any kind. I'll keep them for another week before I get rid of them.
Old January 16th, 2017, 03:59 AM

Hi Jenni, nice to see you back!

What did you use for a front end? I cut my stock one off too, and used a C4 vette front end. Have any progress pictures of your project to post up?

Dennis
Old January 16th, 2017, 09:33 AM

Hi Dennis, Thanks.

Worked on a lot of body panels on the 46' this summer while it was nice and I could be outside. My husband had the shop full finishing the chop on his 1950 Buick Special Sedanette. I also got my dad's 84" harley davidson sportster and rebuilt it this summer. Now I get the shop for the winter and started working hard on the 46' again.
I have decided to turn my 46' into a "gasser". Hopefully it will be done in time to run it down the salt this year for Bonneville Speed Week. I just stripped the front end and should have my new parts this coming friday. Still trying to decide what exactly I want to do rear end wise, but i do have a ford 9" and a narrowing jig to get it started. Going with a blown big block chevy and a built TH400. While I have the interior stripped I may build a cage in it so that I won't have to do it later if I decide to run it again on the salt in a higher speed class.

How's your car coming along? I looked back in the thread a little bit and saw a few pics. Looks like Jerry's is coming along nicely also.

Old January 16th, 2017, 01:26 PM

Wow, a gasser will be cool as hell! Are you going to run a straight front axel? Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Mine has been put on a slight hold. I have been doing a ton of remodeling on my house, but that is just about done, so I will be able to get back at it pretty soon. I have managed to pick up a few more parts here and there (thanks Jerry!), and have been making a test run stand out of my engine stand to run in my freshened up 350 Olds motor. Never did that before, should be entertaining

PS, love your work platform!!
Old January 17th, 2017, 04:55 PM

I am putting a straight axle in it, I went with a kit - even though I know I could have pieced one together. But it is supposed to be here by Friday and I hope to have it installed by Sunday evening. If all goes well I will upload pics as soon as it is in. Engine and Tranny will be pulled tomorrow night, and big block parts have been ordered. I am trying to go as authentic "gasser" as I can with fender well headers and all. No front bumper and still deciding on the moon tank up front.

I am almost 5' so I have to get inventive when it comes to working on my cars. It is advantageous most times though cause I can get into the tight small spaces pretty easily.

What parts are you still trying to find? I know that most my stock parts are coming out and I would be willing to part with them/ sell them. Including quite a few interior parts.

Glad you will be getting back to yours soon.

Oh and I do have a spare visor that I would be willing to sell also, if someone wants/needs it.
Old January 18th, 2017, 11:10 AM

Jenni, I am not actively looking for anything in particular. I just try to keep an eye open when parts come up for sale. Sometimes I see something that I didn't know I needed!

Really looking forward to see your build, please keep us updated on it... with lots of pics, too!
Old February 12th, 2017, 07:49 PM

Quick update:

Started to get front end mocked up today with spare engine so I can do some final welding tomorrow.

Also couple more parts I am getting rid of: stock front seat and platform for 66 series. And I will be cutting a hole in my hood so the center chrome strip I would be willing to sell.

Old February 14th, 2017, 04:57 AM

Looks like it's going to be a fun project. Nice work, Jenni!
Old March 12th, 2017, 09:16 AM

48 olds series66

Originally Posted by citcapp
Welcome Doug,
I have a 48 olds series66 I am looking for other owners!!
Old March 12th, 2017, 12:00 PM

Other 48 series 66 Owners

Originally Posted by Lartz48
I have a 48 olds series66 I am looking for other owners!!

Hi Lartz, You can identify many by going back through this thread and seeing who posted. You don't have to restrict yourself to 48s though as most parts from 46-48 on the 60 series interchange. The exceptions are things like some of the side trim, hood emblems, hubcaps etc.

I don't think anyone has put together a list of owners by year and model in the 46-48 thread or on CO. Some of us hot rod and some restore and some have stockers and just wanna keep em running.

We all like to see photos of the cars (hint). plus some idea of what your goal is with your Olds.
Jerry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?