Replacing a Hydromatic with a standard Transmission

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2012, 05:53 AM

Replacing a Hydromatic with a standard Transmission

Would be possible to replace a 1950 hydromatic with a three speed manual transmission from a 1953 Chevy? The motor is a 1957 Oldsmobile 371 CI. Thanks.
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:24 AM

Don't think so, you would need a Olds or Cadillac transmission of 49 57 year range (may be other years). The unique bell housing on the Olds makes it difficult with out a very expensive adapter....Tedd
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the info.
Old June 1st, 2012, 08:24 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

You might want to find a complete pedal arrangement from a donor car as well, and the shifter could also be a problem.

The crankshaft might need machining for a pilot hole for the input shaft too.

Not a simple bolt in swap but it can be done. Why do you want to put a stick shift in anyway?, it would be a lot less trouble to fit a 350 or 400 transmission although again not a case of simply bolting it on and driving away, the driveshaft and transmission mounting will almost certainly need to be altered and the speedometer drive could be another issue.

I don't want to be a wet blanket but be aware of what is involved before you start work.

Good luck,
Roger.
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:01 AM

Thanks Roger. Right now I am exploring alternative solutions. I have considered the 350 or 400 trans. The car in its former life did have a standard trans as it still has the clutch pedal. I think it came from the factory with the hydromatic and was switched sometime before it was restored. I want to get rid of the hydromatic because I have had nothing but problems and it does not shift very well. Thanks for your time and info. P.S. I am also trying to sell the car as another solution but hard to sell with a bum transmission.