Help! Transmission leak

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2018, 12:36 PM

Help! Transmission leak

I came out to my garage to find what appears to be transmission fluid and I知 assuming most of it has leaked out of my car. Where do I start guys?!

Last edited by Green-machine; July 17th, 2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old July 17th, 2018, 12:39 PM
Hookers under Hood

How much fluid do you think you lost? Overnight ? Any visible trans leaks prior to this?
Old July 17th, 2018, 12:43 PM

At least 4 quarts. It leaked a little at the seal and a few months back my line had a plastic piece from what I was told rigged to my lines which melted and stopped my transmission from shifting. Removed that and it has been fine until now
Old July 17th, 2018, 12:43 PM

And yes overnight. I drove it yesterday.
Old July 17th, 2018, 12:56 PM

It seems to be leaking from somewhere near the rear of the pan and a bracket just behind the pan

Old July 17th, 2018, 01:01 PM
Hookers under Hood

I'm thinking a front pump seal or rear seal .
Old July 17th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 76olds
I'm thinking a front pump seal or rear seal .

Or the pan gasket.

Or the modulator o-ring.

It's hard to tell from these photos. Frankly, that much fluid didn't come from a seal leak. You'd almost need a leak at one of the cooler lines to pump out that much fluid. Are you cooler lines loose? Are they all metal or do you have hoses?
Old July 17th, 2018, 03:45 PM

I was thinking the same. I have hoses according to my mechanic who did previous work on transmission and I don稚 know where they connect. Is it something that I can see without getting under it? I only have a jack and don稚 really trust that.
Old July 17th, 2018, 03:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Green-machine
I was thinking the same. I have hoses according to my mechanic who did previous work on transmission and I don稚 know where they connect. Is it something that I can see without getting under it? I only have a jack and don稚 really trust that.

The hoses connect on the passenger side of the trans. You will need to lift the car. Get jack stands. At some point, get rid of the hoses and use correct all metal cooler lines.
Old July 17th, 2018, 03:53 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Could be the slip yoke or trans tail shaft seal? This is generally exasperated when the car is at a slight angle...nose up which yours is not. Get it up on a lift.
Old July 17th, 2018, 04:24 PM

X2 what Joe mentioned. WOW-That's a lot of fluid! If your ride is stock and would like to keep it that way just order new replacement metal lines-plug and play (maybe) I know this is over kill but for about the same $$ spent, I went with braided lines because of all the mods on this build. I wanted to route them for best fit on this application, and it was fun! On the pictures notice that I routed them on top the passenger side fender well. Very clean application however your later A-body plus all the factory parts may not allow this to be easy. But it's darn near bullet proof. I don't like leaks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3083.JPG (48.1 KB, 14 views)
IMG_3084.JPG (41.9 KB, 15 views)
IMG_3548.JPG (82.0 KB, 14 views)
IMG_3547.JPG (80.6 KB, 15 views)
Old July 17th, 2018, 04:49 PM

Wow, nice setup therobski!! I知 looking for tire cradles as we speak so that I can get under it and get a good look at it. Whatever it is I知 going to take you alls advice on getting the correct or upgraded lines. Thanks for the input guys!
Old July 17th, 2018, 05:03 PM

Once you get under the car, I believe Joe is what you will discover. That said Inline tube and others have pre-bent lines for you. That maybe the best and easy way.
Old July 17th, 2018, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
Once you get under the car, I believe Joe is what you will discover. That said Inline tube and others have pre-bent lines for you. That maybe the best and easy way.

I fully expect to walk out to my garage where my Olds is one day and find Joe underneath it.
Old July 17th, 2018, 06:21 PM

About the only thing that could leak that much overnight and be fine while driving would be the o-ring around the modulator or around the dipstick tube. When the car sits overnight and the torque converter drains back into the pan the fluid level raises above the level of those seals. Clean the old fluid from under and around the car, add just a little A/C oil with the florescent dye, drive the car for a while, then crawl under it with a black light. The dye will highlight exactly where the leak is.

I agree with Joe, rubber hose has no place in a transmission line!! Unless the steel line has a bead or something for the hose clamp to grip, eventually that hose will slip off the line, spraying ATF all over the hot exhaus. Bite the bullet, drop the transmission pan, replace the o-ring on the modulator and dipstick tube, install new steel lines, and replace and refill the fluid.
Old July 18th, 2018, 05:56 AM

Me too:I fully expect to walk out to my garage where my Olds is one day and find Joe underneath it.
Old July 18th, 2018, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
About the only thing that could leak that much overnight and be fine while driving would be the o-ring around the modulator or around the dipstick tube. When the car sits overnight and the torque converter drains back into the pan the fluid level raises above the level of those seals. Clean the old fluid from under and around the car, add just a little A/C oil with the florescent dye, drive the car for a while, then crawl under it with a black light. The dye will highlight exactly where the leak is.

I agree with Joe, rubber hose has no place in a transmission line!! Unless the steel line has a bead or something for the hose clamp to grip, eventually that hose will slip off the line, spraying ATF all over the hot exhaus. Bite the bullet, drop the transmission pan, replace the o-ring on the modulator and dipstick tube, install new steel lines, and replace and refill the fluid.
Old July 18th, 2018, 04:48 PM

Matt, thanks for the advice. I値l try to figure out where it痴 coming from tomorrow and give everyone an update. I値l definitely change those lines for sure.
Old July 18th, 2018, 04:53 PM
Hookers under Hood

I hope its something as simple as your lines. As mentioned above Inline Tube is a good place for pre-bent lines.

Eric
Old July 18th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Or the pan gasket.

Or the modulator o-ring.

It's hard to tell from these photos. Frankly, that much fluid didn't come from a seal leak. You'd almost need a leak at one of the cooler lines to pump out that much fluid. Are you cooler lines loose? Are they all metal or do you have hoses?
Quite a bit of seepage by the modulator ( easy taking the bolt out, the ear usually breaks off then you need a bracket to hold the modulator in place) but a line leak sounds more like the problem.
I would put a few seals on the repair list as well if it were me.

All the best with the repair !
Eric

Last edited by 76olds; July 18th, 2018 at 05:06 PM.