TH400 pump rebuild issue

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2018, 08:15 PM

TH400 pump rebuild issue

So far the th400 rebuild has been going well other than getting the clutches lined up when putting everything together. I am to the pump rebuild and have ran into a new issue. I cannot get the valve/sleeve/spring out despite removing the clip (the picture explains what I am trying to explain). I can push it all in, so it is not stuck, but when it gets to the snap ring indention it won't move.

Any ideas?
Old May 23rd, 2018, 05:18 AM

Might there be a burr preventing you from removing the components? Once you remove the snap ring compress the spring and inspect the machined surfaces with a magnifier. Have you tried using a magnet to pull out the valve?
Old May 23rd, 2018, 06:22 AM

I'm thinking there has to be a burr keeping it from coming out. I just ran out to try a magnet but that didn't work. I'll pull out the magnifying glass to find that darned burr.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 10:01 AM

Run a file or stone over every sharp edge on the outside circumference of the valves, top and bottom. You're just trying to make the smallest of a chamfer possible.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 07:14 PM

Push the boost valve into the valve bore as far as it will go and let it snap down. Eventually it will knock off the burr holding it in place. The other option is to remove the roll pin from the other end of the valvetrsin, hopefully the aluminum plug will fall out. Use a brass punch to tap the regulator valve and boost valve from the bore. Once everything is apart clean and polish the parts until they fit smoothly.

Im assumingyour having difficulty installing the direct drum? Once your happy with the clutch pack stack up remove the clutches again. You can use the return springs and retainer as a handle to work the sprag race. It sometimes helps to use a long screwdriver to hold or move the band to clear the drum. Once the drum is fully seated the spiines on the inside of the direct drum will be even with the splines of the sun gear shaft. Hope that helps
Old May 23rd, 2018, 09:02 PM

All is well, now! I removed the little roll pin as suggested and that allowed me access to tap the stuck piece out. I'll get the sharp edges cleaned off so reinstallation is a snap.

I will say that this rebuild has not been too challenging so far. Honestly, the most frustrating parting was reinstallimg the drum pistons. Those darned lip seals were a challenge for me. This is my 1st time doing this and I rushed and boogered up the new inner lip seal. Bought a new one, took my time, stayed calm, and it went in just fine!

Lining up the clutches to install the drum wasn't as bad as I made it. After watching a youtube video I remembered I had parts of a rusted out th400 and was able to clean and reuse the old sprag(?) to line them up.

Thank you for all of your guidance!