Rear End Builders - KC Area??

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2012, 06:10 PM
ZATBAD 72

Rear End Builders - KC Area??

Anyone know of a competent shop that can correctly convert a peg leg '72 10 bolt to a posi in the Kansas City area? Key word here being correctly. I'd like to convert to posi with most likely 3.73 gears to get a little more spunk out of my otherwise basically stock car. I do a lot myself, but not sure I want to tackle getting this set up right, and it's not something that the average garage is going to know how to handle. Anyone done this? How touch is it? Special tools?

Does anyone have any experience with either Auburn or Eaton for a conversion?
Old June 5th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Runner

I have no idea of a shop that can do that, but I'm in the KC area (Olathe). Just thought I would say hey haha
Old June 5th, 2012, 08:58 AM

In Wichita I was told to check with a truck shop. Inland Truck Parts and Service. Their prices seemed kind of high so I'm holding off but wanted to do the same as you. There doesn't seem to be many shops that can do rear ends around here.
Old June 5th, 2012, 06:53 PM
ZATBAD 72

That is what I am finding. Inland might be a good idea. A technician that can set up a differential on a 4x4 or heavy truck should be able to handle an Olds. Maybe a place like Certified Transmission, but that is luck of the draw in getting a tech that really knows what they are doing. Again, I have done a lot of work myself, even rebuilt MG and TR6 engines, but just not quite sure about this.
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Runner

Its probably not much help, but my 68 cutlass's transmission was skipping a little when trying to shift. I took them to the certified transmission on 135th street west of I35 for them to take a look. They called me later saying they lifted the car up, had to replace some cable and that was it. I said great and ask how much and they said it was so small of work it was no charge. Great service. Not sure what they could do at your situations level though