Cutlass 1966 torque loss!

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2015, 01:39 PM

Cutlass 1966 torque loss!

I have a newly rebuilt ST300 with Switch Pitch, it gears up and down as it should, but my biggest problem is that it seems "Powerless".
I´ve had a transmission company to come and look at it but they cant find a problem. they ripped it apart again and no problem. The vacuum is as it should, the pressure is where its supposed to be... if i floor the pedal, it moves as fast as it would if just slowly cruised away.. Can anyone help me?
Old June 16th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Administrator

If the torque converter is not switching properly it will be a complete dog.
Old June 16th, 2015, 02:13 PM

thats mmy worst fear, i live in Sweden and the converter costs a fortune over here..
is there any eletrical cables that can be put in the wrong place?

i dont really know where to start looking, or is there any good shop anyone know of that has one?

Last edited by Holmberg02; June 16th, 2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old June 16th, 2015, 02:45 PM

To check your solenoids in the trans you can energize them with a 12v source. You'll hear an audible click if the solenoid is working or not.
There is a two prong plug on the drivers side of the case. The top prong is the switch pitch solenoid, bottom is the downshift one. You may be able to discern which one is working by sound but I don't know about that through the pan. Other way to check is to open up the pan and see if the top prong is connected to the forward solenoid. The wires will run up front toward the torque converter. Bottom prong would be attached to the more visible solenoid on the valve body.
Old June 16th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Here is a quick read, the Jetaway and the T400 worked basically the same way as far as the torque converter.
http://442.com/oldsfaq/oftsp.htm
Old June 16th, 2015, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Holmberg02
is there any eletrical cables that can be put in the wrong place?
It is possible the wires are not connected at all. I would check on both the transmission and at the throttle to ensure the wires are plugged in before doing anything else (I don't know if the wires are connected to the pedal under the dash or at the carb on your car).
Old June 16th, 2015, 05:50 PM

He would have the wires connected to the throttle mechanism under the hood on a 66. Like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TA.jpg (779.1 KB, 34 views)
Old June 16th, 2015, 06:32 PM

Check to make sure you have a functioning switch and that there is 12 volts to it as well.
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Most often times its the switch not working on the throttle linkage properly as Trip posted above.
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:51 PM

I rebuilt mine and it was a little pitted on the contacts. Common I guess after 50 years
Old June 17th, 2015, 12:44 PM

Thank you so much for all the information. I started to check all the wire +feed, and on the switch by the throttle linkage it didn´t really seem to get a good feed, changed the wire and the result was better.
I also measured the +feed to the connector on the tranny, and that one wasn´t too good either. Changed it and took it for a ride, nothing happened and back to square one. I switched the 2 wires on the connector to the transmission, and was gonna take it out for a test, and of course the rain started, and when it rains here it rains ALOT, so after just a few minutes of rain i had to cross a minor "river" to just get it out, so i have to wait testing it until tomorrow. I actually think this is gonna work, got a really good feeling about it. Otherwise i have had nothing else but problems with this car.

Thank you everyone for the good advices, and i´ll be back with the final result tomorrow
Old June 23rd, 2015, 02:01 PM

so I have looked up a few things, like the switch by the throttle linkage, worked fine but ordered a new one and changed just in case. all the wires are correct and it seems like the only thing that i can come up with is the converter... i have no idea where to buy one in USA, the only thing i can find here in Sweden is the one without the switch pitch. repairing transmissions here a very expensive, so if it wasnt for the money i have already spent on it (2000$) i would have swapped it. but its a matching numbers car so with that in mind it seems very unecessery to do. I just need to find a new converter, I think. So where can i get one of those?
Old June 23rd, 2015, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Place a parts wanted ad on here, someone in Europe may have removed one in a trans swap closer by you. Worst case one of the guys here may be able to help you.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Place a parts wanted ad on here, someone in Europe may have removed one in a trans swap closer by you. Worst case one of the guys here may be able to help you.

Before i repaired my transmission i put up ads in Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany, Poland and United Kingdom. Been to alot of swap meets, but seems like no one have kept them, Just swapped them.. And that was over almost 2 years ago. I thought it would be cheaper to buy a complete tranny instead of repairing the other one. But no luck
They only sold 126 Olds Cutlass 1966 in Sweden. so they are rare
Old June 23rd, 2015, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Here in the states there are a lot that are removed and sitting around. Or they are just tossed. There is a member here from Germany, dancutlass, that may be able to help you, he has a 66 also.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ancutlass.html
Old June 23rd, 2015, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Here in the states there are a lot that are removed and sitting around. Or they are just tossed. There is a member here from Germany, dancutlass, that may be able to help you, he has a 66 also.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ancutlass.html

Just sent him a message, Thanks

But where do i get hold of a new one from USA?
Old June 23rd, 2015, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Can't help you there, I removed mine, perhaps some of the other guys may know. Are you sure yours is not working properly? They seldom go bad, its usually the switch or the solenoid acting up.
Old November 9th, 2015, 01:44 PM

Heres one rebuilt st300 w/ troque converter in finland. This guy is asking for 750euros.
Link below.

http://www.overdrive.fi/forum/viewto...?f=18&t=292349
Old November 9th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Wow, you can't give one of those transmissions away here. Maybe we should export ours over there.
Old November 9th, 2015, 06:56 PM

There are used Switch Pitch converters here that should work fine.

You should rule out all other possibilites first.

"I have a newly rebuilt ST300 with Switch Pitch" worries me. If they replaced the tc witha non-sp tc... what else did they screw up? The pump housing on which the converter resides must have the proper mating surface. Yours may have been replaced with an incorrect one. find the Buick s.p. site that shows photos if you have to dismantle.

OR, the wires are swapped.

Start with ohms readings on the trans terminals to ground.
If they have ohms, then apply 12 to each and make sure it goes click
If that is OK then make sure the signals feeding the two terminals are correct with respect to throttle position. There is a fuse for that circuit.

If all that still says bad or incorrect t.c., then that's what you have to do.

Can you look into shipping of a heavy box like that to your country at say ups.com?

I have shipped a Toro final drive to Europe. HEAVY, and shipping cost far exceeded the cost of the part, but you do what you have to do.

PS I am SURE I have some s.p.t.c.'s around somewhere.
Old November 10th, 2015, 07:43 AM

http://trishieldperformance.com/index.html

This place used to sell the Switch Pitch converters but when I tried the link it was empty. Regardless of that he still may be able to help you out. ST300 and TH400 S/P converters are interchangeable although different sizes, 12" vs 13"
Old June 3rd, 2019, 12:09 PM

Hey Holmberg!
I’m living in Sweden also!
where did you buy the switch by the throttle linkage?
I have no voltage from one of the therminals, so no kick down and need to buy a new throttle position sensor.

Starfire 1965
/Peter