Vacuum line 1972 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2007, 02:17 PM

Vacuum line 1972 Cutlass

Should there be a vacuum line going from a th350 tranny to the intake manifold? I have a line coming down off the intake manifold going down the the tranny, but it doesn't connect up. I noticed something that looked like it could connect to on the passenger side of the transmission near the fluid cooling liness...is that where that goes? Oh, and by the way, my car doesn't shift gears, so I'm guessing shifting is vacuum operated.
Old November 9th, 2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pghstarsky
Should there be a vacuum line going from a th350 tranny to the intake manifold? I have a line coming down off the intake manifold going down the the tranny, but it doesn't connect up. I noticed something that looked like it could connect to on the passenger side of the transmission near the fluid cooling liness...is that where that goes? Oh, and by the way, my car doesn't shift gears, so I'm guessing shifting is vacuum operated.
The modultor (for shifting) is vacuum operated, as to exactly where it is attached to the engine I don't know.
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:24 PM

And where is the modulator located, by the fluid cooling fittings on the passenger side on the transmission? Facing the rear of the car...
Old November 9th, 2007, 04:58 PM
same but different

And where is the modulator located, by the fluid cooling fittings on the passenger side on the transmission? Facing the rear of the car...
NO, not exactly, the modulater is further back on the th350 near the tail shaft mounting point, but yes on the passenger side. The vacum line should be ran to the intake manifold. It should be comprised of mostly a metal line, with a small sections of rubber line connecting to the intake manifold at one end, and the modulater valve at the other end.

My point is, if you use 100%rubber lines, the vacum signal can be disturbed by the the line be closed off and stuck closed by the vacum.
Old November 9th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Okay cool. That helps a ton. I have what looks to be the original metal line connected to the intake manifold by a rubber line, the other end of it just hangs down there by the transmission. I guess all I need to do is get a little piece of rubber hosing and connect it in, right? Now on to my next question, why do I have a wire with a connector hanging down by the tranny on the drivers side?
Old November 9th, 2007, 06:35 PM

And where is the modulator located ........

350/400 modulator.

TH400 = Right side, below the cooling lines, just above the pan.

TH350 = Right side, next to the tailshaft.

........ why do I have a wire with a connector hanging down ........
Power to the detent solenoid (passing gear) for a TH400.

Norm
Old November 10th, 2007, 07:34 AM

That's perfect, it's definately the th350, great picture by the way, I was looking for something like that. So, if I have the th350, why the wire hanging down?
Old November 10th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

That's perfect, it's definately the th350, great picture by the way, I was looking for something like that. So, if I have the th350, why the wire hanging down?
The wire harness was designed to be the same whether the trans was a TH400 or TH350. If the TH350 was used, the wire was just tied up out of the way. Building a single harness for all configurations was the lower cost approach.
Old November 10th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Now I need to figure out my kickdown situation, it's not connected, and I'm not sure how to go about it. I'll take a picture soon. Thank everyone for all your help.
Old November 10th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Now I need to figure out my kickdown situation, it's not connected, and I'm not sure how to go about it. I'll take a picture soon. Thank everyone for all your help.
Not much to figure out. You need a kickdown cable. If you want to use the original installation, the cable goes through the firewall just below the accelerator cable and attaches to a tab on the accelerator pedal.
Old November 10th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

kickdown cable

Olds64 gave me this cool link.

http://www.tvmadeez.com/
Old November 10th, 2007, 04:54 PM

The kickdown cable is disconnected and the end of it is near the carb. I'm not sure if the other part is connected....but what is the correct way to attach it to the carb? Also, I can't figure out that website.
Old November 10th, 2007, 06:21 PM

........ can't figure out that website.
Those instructions are for 700R4 conversions. They have nothing do with your application.

Norm
Old November 10th, 2007, 06:52 PM

Yeah, that's what I was so confused about, I just didn't know if I was missing the link that showed my th350 transmissions or what.
Old November 10th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Welcome to the Internet.

Norm
Old November 11th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Sorry to confuse. The TV 101 section had some good pictures with carb is all
http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php
Old November 11th, 2007, 08:11 AM

Check this out!

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/oftswp.htm

I know alot of people here don't care too much for 442.com, but this is some decent information on throttle cables and adjusting them. Too bad there aren't any pictures. If you are decent with a wrench you should be able to manufacture a bracket that attaches the TV cable to the throttle linkage on your carb.

I modified the thorttle linkage on an Edelbrock carb to mate to the TV rod on my Slim Jim transmission and it worked fine... Well, as fine as it ever has since my transmission has an internal fluid leak.
Old November 11th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
Check this out!

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/oftswp.htm

I know alot of people here don't care too much for 442.com, but this is some decent information on throttle cables and adjusting them. Too bad there aren't any pictures. If you are decent with a wrench you should be able to manufacture a bracket that attaches the TV cable to the throttle linkage on your carb.

I modified the thorttle linkage on an Edelbrock carb to mate to the TV rod on my Slim Jim transmission and it worked fine... Well, as fine as it ever has since my transmission has an internal fluid leak.
First, a TH350 does not have a throttle valve cable, it has a kickdown cable. The TV cable, as used on the 200-4R, has an adjustment capability built into the cable sheath were it goes into the bracket on the intake. A TH350 as used in a 72 A-body will have a cable that goes through the firewall and is activated by the accelerator. The cable has an adjustment clip where it passes through the accelerator arm.
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:46 PM

I don't have a cable going from the accelerator pedal, I can see where the stock one did come through. What I have is a kickdown cable coming from the transmission up into the engine bay and it's just sitting there all disconnected near the intake manifold. I think I all should have to do is pull the kickdown cable till it's fully out, hold the carb at WOT and connect it up. I might have to make a bracket or something first though to hold the cable in place...I really should take these pictures soon.
Old November 12th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

I don't have a cable going from the accelerator pedal, I can see where the stock one did come through. What I have is a kickdown cable coming from the transmission up into the engine bay and it's just sitting there all disconnected near the intake manifold. I think I all should have to do is pull the kickdown cable till it's fully out, hold the carb at WOT and connect it up. I might have to make a bracket or something first though to hold the cable in place...I really should take these pictures soon.
Why not just get the correct cable for your car and hook it up to the accelerator as it's supposed to be?
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:00 PM

I'm broke...
Old November 13th, 2007, 12:13 PM

I have my tranny vacuum line hooked into the carb and it's fine
Old April 3rd, 2020, 08:05 AM

Old thread, but.......

I'm working on replacing a passenger side floor pan due to rust, and literally just yesterday cut the vacuum modulator line with an angle grinder when sawing out the pan.

Thought someone out there may get a laugh at my expense, and a much needed one during this crazy lockdown.
Old April 3rd, 2020, 08:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

You're lucky it was just the vacuum line and not the trans case...
Old April 3rd, 2020, 08:09 AM

Wow! Definitely thread resurrection.

Did you cut a vacuum hose or a solid vacuum line? Either way it should be easy to fix. Good luck!
Old April 3rd, 2020, 08:13 AM

Wow! Definitely thread resurrection.

Did you cut a vacuum hose or a solid vacuum line? Either way it should be easy to fix. Good luck!
It was the solid line. Found one on eBay $25 inc shipping. Was hoping to get it before welding in the new pan to make the install even easier, but oh well. You're right, it's a pretty easy path up to the intake from there.

Old April 3rd, 2020, 08:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

The stock line is metal all the way to the vacuum modulator, with just a short section of rubber hose to couple them.
Old August 20th, 2021, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Not much to figure out. You need a kickdown cable. If you want to use the original installation, the cable goes through the firewall just below the accelerator cable and attaches to a tab on the accelerator pedal.
I just replaced my Qjet with a Holley. I had to replace original throttle bracket with an adjustable one. I lost my kick down and discovered a loose cable on back of the gas pedal just below the "throttle cable"? I'm guessing it's the kick down cable. It's got about an inch or more of slack. How do I adjust it?
Old August 20th, 2021, 05:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gottman4
I just replaced my Qjet with a Holley. I had to replace original throttle bracket with an adjustable one. I lost my kick down and discovered a loose cable on back of the gas pedal just below the "throttle cable"? I'm guessing it's the kick down cable. It's got about an inch or more of slack. How do I adjust it?
You slide this spring clip on the metal rod to adjust where the kickdown activates in relation to throttle position.