Tranny won't fully engage in park.

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2012, 05:00 AM

Tranny won't fully engage in park.

Turbo 350 tranny. When placed in park and the car is at an incline it will move and an ugly gear noise makes itself known. Could this be caused by shifter misadjustmenrt.

I spent yesterday tweaking all the linkages to and got the neutral safety switch would work. Added missing washers and lubricating moving parts helped the linkages function..

When setting the tranny lever with no linkage attached the park position felt as if there was aan additiojnal 3/16in of foroward movement but no detent to prevent returning previous detent position. I ssume that is what should happen. AM I doing thid correctly?
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:39 AM

I'd go to the nearest trans shop and let them adjust it - it's not worth it, to me, to try to do this on the ground.
Both you and the car, up and down a few times, on an incline, is looking for trouble!
What are they gonna charge, $20?? Call around, first.
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:05 PM

See my thread regarding excessive play in dual gate shifter.
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:20 PM

This is just a guess, based on some experience. Your parking pawl is broken. If I am correct the transmission will need to come apart to replace it. I have broken one and the sound you describe sounds very familiar. BesidesI don't see how park could partially engage.

Good luck
Old March 30th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Registered

It sounds more like it isn't engaging all the way in park if it makes that loud clicking noise when it moves. They can partially go in park, they make that noise when they start rolling away, common problem on 60's Furds.
I'd disconnect the shifter and put the trans in park and see if it holds, the trans lever should click in and stay there, if it stays in park then you know it's a shifter problem.
Old March 30th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

This may be a dumb point to make, but remember that the shift detents are all INSIDE the transmission, while the sector (which determines when you need to pull the lever toward you or push its button to be able to move it) is in the shifter.

If the problem is outside of the transmission, then if you disconnect the shift linkage, the problem will go away. You can always pull out that rod or cable and shift with a screwdriver or your hand. The detents should feel very firm. You should be able to start the car, put on the emergency brake, crawl underneath, shift it into any gear (Warning: better have a good E-brake!), gat back in the car, and drive in that gear as normal.

If the problem persists with the linkage disconnected, then you've got a problem inside your transmission, and I, for one, can't help you!

- Eric
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:17 PM

It was a shifter issue. After final adjustments all is well.