are there really only 2 gears in my auto trans?

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2011, 08:21 PM

are there really only 2 gears in my auto trans?

i just bought a project 68 cutlass that runs but it seems like it goes in first for a while then upshifts to 2nd. And then is that it? 2 gears?
or is my trans just jacked up?
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:33 PM

Yep, '68 Cutlass only had two forward speeds.
Easy fix is a 69 and newer T-350 trans. Easy swap.
Gene
Old February 7th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Your trans is a Super Turbine 300, also known as a Jetaway. Note that your shift quadrant only shows P-R-N-D-L. First gear is 1.76:1, second gear is 1:1. Unfortunately, in 1968 Olds dropped the switch pitch torque converter on this trans. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT a Powerglide.
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:09 AM

Wow so what kind of rpms is this thing turning at 70mph? It sounds like highway speed is.not healthy for this combo.

Also, to swap to a th350, will I need any additional parts like a different tail / drive shaft or trans crossbrace?

Will any 69 and up th350 work or will it need to come from a pontiac/olds?

Thanks!
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 68cutlassdriver
Wow so what kind of rpms is this thing turning at 70mph? It sounds like highway speed is.not healthy for this combo.
Your top gear ratio of 1:1 is the same as top gear in either the TH350 or the TH400, so highway RPM is only a function of the rear end gears and tire diameter.

Also, to swap to a th350, will I need any additional parts like a different tail / drive shaft or trans crossbrace?

Will any 69 and up th350 work or will it need to come from a pontiac/olds?

Thanks!
You need a short tail TH350 with the BOP bellhousing (basically, anything that isn't a Chevy). If you get the short tail, your stock driveshaft can be used. The only two issues with this swap are the gear selector (your stock two speed shifter can only access Drive and Second, not Low) and the kickdown cable (your stock trans uses an electric kickdown). The TH350 was optional in 1969, so one option is to get the cable and accelerator pedal from a 1969-72 TH350 A-body. On those cars the cable actually goes through the firewall to the accelerator pedal. You'll need to cut a small square hole in the firewall below the accelerator cable. Alternately you can use the cable that goes to the carb as used on later models. You might need to fabricate a bracket and/or carb fitting for it to work.
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:25 AM

I did this swap in my 64. The th 350 is a direct bolt in. So the crossmber stays where it's at and you use your old driveshaft.

You'll need to find one from a Buick Pontiac or Olds. A Chevy one won't work because of the different bolt pattern.

It's one of the easiest swaps so you shouldn't have to much trobule with it.
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:38 AM

Thanks for this info. So what will I need to do about the gear selector?

[B][/B]
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Your top gear ratio of 1:1 is the same as top gear in either the TH350 or the TH400, so highway RPM is only a function of the rear end gears and tire diameter.

You need a short tail TH350 with the BOP bellhousing (basically, anything that isn't a Chevy). If you get the short tail, your stock driveshaft can be used. The only two issues with this swap are the gear selector (your stock two speed shifter can only access Drive and Second, not Low) and the kickdown cable (your stock trans uses an electric kickdown). The TH350 was optional in 1969, so one option is to get the cable and accelerator pedal from a 1969-72 TH350 A-body. On those cars the cable actually goes through the firewall to the accelerator pedal. You'll need to cut a small square hole in the firewall below the accelerator cable. Alternately you can use the cable that goes to the carb as used on later models. You might need to fabricate a bracket and/or carb fitting for it to work.
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks for this info. So what will I need to do about the gear selector?
Do you have a column or floor shifter?
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:42 AM

Column shifter
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Column shifter
In that case, your options are:

1) Live with it. You just won't be able to manually shift into Low. Everything else will work fine.

2) Get a column from a 68 Cutlass with TH400. 69-up are different and don't work.

3) Convert to a floor shift.
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:12 PM

I think I can live with the column shift for now. I plan on doing an ls swap later in the year with a new trans.

Thanks.for the info
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

...I plan on doing an ls swap later in the year with a new trans.
Too bad.
Old February 7th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Just the facts...

1) Live with it. You just won't be able to manually shift into Low. Everything else will work fine...
my '67 cutlass had a s.p. jetaway, i put in a '67 s.p. thm400, i can drop it into L(actual low gear in the trans) the needle hangs lower than the L marking, that's all. i have access to all three gears manually, 68cutlassdriver will have the same. i adjusted my indicator to the D position when in drive.

bill
Old February 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM

so i will look for a short tail TH350 from an olds/buick and keep the stock column shifter.

so what i need to figure out is which route to go with the kickdown cable......

does anyone sell a conversion for this or do i need to hunt down a 69-72 cable & pedal?

again thanks to everyone for the info. the more i know about this car the better i feel about the work to come. i previously had mustangs and the information/parts was endless. It seems a bit more difficult with this cutlass!!!
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:27 AM

Look for a 69 or later pedal, I'm not sure if the cable is available from the aftermarket. You will like the TH350, I did the same swap on my brother 63 Impala with a 283, would would swear the car had an extra 50 hp. The lower first gear makes a huge difference in acceleration.
Old February 8th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BILL DEMMER
my '67 cutlass had a s.p. jetaway, i put in a '67 s.p. thm400, i can drop it into L(actual low gear in the trans) the needle hangs lower than the L marking, that's all. i have access to all three gears manually, 68cutlassdriver will have the same. i adjusted my indicator to the D position when in drive.

bill
You can certainly do that, but the shift gate in the column will not have the notches for all three gears. Bumping the shift lever may cause you to change gears.
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Just the facts...

[quote=joe_padavano;251228]You can certainly do that, but the shift gate in the column will not have the notches for all three gears. Bumping the shift lever may cause you to change gears.[/quot

i've never had a problem, the gates for d and l(on the column) line-up perfectly. i also increased the tranny's detent spring tension, that may be why i've never had an issue.

bill
Old February 12th, 2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wasted
I did this swap in my 64. The th 350 is a direct bolt in. So the crossmber stays where it's at and you use your old driveshaft.

You'll need to find one from a Buick Pontiac or Olds. A Chevy one won't work because of the different bolt pattern.

It's one of the easiest swaps so you shouldn't have to much trobule with it.
what did you do about the kickdown cable?
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:37 PM

well i got a donor BOP Th350 and it looks like it has the kickdown cable still connected.

i also purchase a 69' accelerator pedal.

So i assume that i can just swap the trans & torque converter, install the fluid lines, hookup the vaccum line, speedo cable, and kickdown cable....

am i missing anything? anyone have a diagram of the trans setup?

also, what is needed to convert to floor shift? will i need to swap my column?

thanks.

Last edited by 68cutlassdriver; February 22nd, 2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 11:48 AM

I converted mine to a TH350 and I just live with the shift indicator because I have a tilt column and would like to retain it. I bought the P/S pump, carb, starter, alternator, distributor, and cyl. heads from a 77 Olds in the junkyard. I put all of them on my car in 1991. I used the throttle cable bracket off of the '77 so I could use the kick down cable that I bought from the transmission shop. The combo works very well. The kick-down cable goes from the carb to trans along the top of the trans. No need to put any holes in your firewall. I just noticed this is an old post. I'm sure you have it figured out by now. Take care.
Old January 26th, 2021, 06:11 PM

1) Live with it. You just won't be able to manually shift into Low. Everything else will work fine.

2) Get a column from a 68 Cutlass with TH400. 69-up are different and don't work.

3) Convert to a floor shift.
OR........ you could use an adjustable Kugel column shift linkage that allows you to change the ratio between column shifter motion and the trans arm motion and get your shifter gates lined up w/ the new trans detents (specifically the P and N positions are critical since those are what your neutral safety switch needs to start the car). If it works on my 200-4R swap, it will certainly work on a TH350 swap. Sure the indicator will be useless for the lower forward gears, but PRND will still line up just fine and there is nothing in the column that prevents you from shifting all the way down into 1st, even with the 200-4R.

#6021 Shift Arm Kit – Long – Kugel Komponents

Cheap and simple install if you are not ready to jump to a floor shifter.

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; January 26th, 2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old January 26th, 2021, 08:07 PM

I'm sure he's done it by now.

Old January 27th, 2021, 05:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
I'm sure he's done it by now.
Don't bet on it. Sadly, I have unfinished projects that date to much earlier than 2011.
Old January 29th, 2021, 03:26 AM

I think I can live with the column shift for now. I plan on doing an ls swap later in the year with a new trans.

Thanks.for the info
If you are doing a drivetrain swap withing a year or so. leave it as it is.
Old March 20th, 2021, 04:33 AM

If you have not found a trans yet I have a BOP 350, was rebuilt with a new torque converter, will let you have it cheap. I am in the metro Detroit area.