TH400 Slips in second gear when hot and conversion to new-style filter

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2013, 05:28 PM

TH400 Slips in second gear when hot and conversion to new-style filter

Hello,

I have a 1967 Delmont 88 with a TH400 that was rebuilt and a B&M shift kit installed. The transmission worked fine for the first 100 or so miles but now it slips in second (in drive or S) only after it is hot. The car decelerates fine when downshifted into S.

The intermediate clutch was bench tested with air during assembly and seemed to engage fine--and also worked fine for a while as mentioned above. New clutch plates and seals were also installed.

My thoughts are as follows:
1. It isn't the sprag since it works fine when cold
2. One logical path would be to drop the pan and re-torque the valve body (which was disassembled and cleaned during rebuild)

Worth mentioning is that the slip pitch converter and downshift solenoids are wired in so they need to be switched on manually. Both are shut off when second gear slips.

The second issue is that I had to clean and reuse the old-style filter. There is now a deeper pan on the trans and the filter could not be lowered. Is there a kit to convert this to a new-style filter and install a tube to position the filter closer to the bottom of the pan.

Any suggestions on either issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris