TH350 will not shift out of 1st!!

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Unhappy TH350 will not shift out of 1st!!

i just swapped out a 2 speed powerglide with a th350 in my 65 olds cutlass. i also converted from column shifter to a hurst ratchet action floor shifter. the car has a 330ci engine...everything is bolted up, the kickdown cable is NOT stuck in the "pulled out" position (i've already checked that). i am switching out the modulator tube because my original tube is a bit smaller than the transmission recommends, so we'll see if that helps. but as of now, you can grab park, reverse, & 1st(manually). if i try to manually up-shift to 2nd, it just stays in first. if i put it in 2nd or drive from a dead stop, the car won't move at all, like it's in neutral. the fluid is filled to the correct level, can't figure out why this is happening. the transmission itself is freshly rebuilt (about a month ago) with a stage 1 trans-go street/strip kit and has zero miles!! the shop that rebuilt it says there is no way the governer gear is broken because they put in a brand new one during the rebuild. any insight, suggestions? i have read that the modulator tube should be hooked up to the manifold, as opposed to the carb. i am going to check that tonight, but i am at a loss. we even jacked the car up and physically selected the gear by hand at the linkage on the tranny itself, so we know the gear selector is in the right position. i don't think the shifter is hooked up incorrectly either, since we bypassed the shifter and went directly to the tranny linkage.....help!!!!
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:27 AM

It sounds like a modulator issue to me. If it's on the carb it needs to be on the manifold vacuum port, but you are correct that it is better to be directly on the manifold rather than the carb.
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:30 AM

where would the manifold port be exactly?? i'm thinking i might have a plug in that port right now, cuz i don't recall there being an available vacuum port on my manifold...
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:45 AM

this just in....the modulator is connected to the manifold.
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:23 AM

Next thing would be to make sure the modulator is good. I know the trans is fresh, but if this aint the issue then take the trans to the builder because they messed something up.
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:36 AM

that's what i'm afraid of...talk about a big waste of time!! and the shop i got it from is about 40min away!! i know people who have gotten transmissions from this place before, and have nothing but good things to say. i spoke to the builder earlier today and he insists that nothing is wrong with the tranny, he built it himself, he's been in business for over 20 years, blah blah blah. he says something isn't hooked up correctly. and he would need the car brought to him....GREAT!!
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Registered

Never assume new can't be bad because it's new, surprised the guy would say that no way the governor gear couldn't be bad just because it's new.
If it worked before it should work now, and if it won't go in gear there's something wrong with the trans, it isn't the modulator.
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:04 PM

Well, him being a builder he should be able to give you a complete list of the things to check for that would cause a TH350 to have the symptoms you describe... and I don't think the list will be that long that would point to things you could have done or forgot to do. But have him give you those things, and if they all check out to the best of your knowledge, then your only solution is to take the car or tranny to him to resolve.

Now it comes down to cost... it'll be cheaper for you to load the tranny into the back of a pick-up that it will be to have your car towed to his shop. And if he finds nothing wrong with the tranny, then you're no further along to get your car on the road. If you take him the car, he'll check what you did first. If he finds something, he'll charge you, but at least it'll be in running order. If he doesn't find anything that you did wrong, then the tranny will come back out, and he'll get everything working and your car on the road, and it won't cost you a dime. AND if that's the case he should also pay for your tow.

Food for thought.
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:32 PM

thanks for all the responses & input.

to blue vista...the car WILL go into 1st gear, just won't shift out of it.
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:17 PM

There's really not much you could have done to make that happen other than something with the modulator. Make sure it holds vacuum and if it does it has to be an internal issue.
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:32 AM

problem is fixed!!!....figured i would close this out for any one who may have a similar problem in the future. we swapped out the factory (smaller) modulator tube with a new (larger) modulator tube, now i have all three gears!!! shifting like a monster too!! the more you are in the gas, the harder it shifts....manual shifts are immediate with no delay. i love it!! another successful 2-speed to 3-speed swap, thanks for all your help everyone!!