Slipping transmission

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2011, 09:46 AM

Slipping transmission

this is not on my olds.. but looking for ideas..
on my 1994 Cavalier Auto trans the transmission seems to be slipping to me.. it doesn't give me a definite shift into the next gear or the RPM's increase briefly before it does shift.

The car has 172700 miles on it.. I changed the filter and added 4 Quarts approx 35K Miles prior to it acting up. I change it again 5 days ago and it seemed better for about a half a day. the oil was burned and I did see some debris . small no bigger than the smiles in diameter..

I am on a budget and I don't want to spend $2000 to rebuild a transmission on a car that is only worth $1200

what additives a can I add to my transmission. .I can replace the filter again $11.00 and add some atf / and what not..

what do you suggest.. Please..
Thank you

Jeff
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:24 AM

You might be able to do a "oklahoma shift kit" which involves putting spacers in the accumulator. The accumulator is accessible with a filter change. The accumulator basically reduces the pressure so the shift is slower and softer. Not letting the cylinder open as far will increase the pressure to the shift making it faster and harder. I've done this on 3 of my cars, including my current car. The quicker the shift the less slippage you get. The spacers can be bought at Lowes or Home depot for under $10.
Also I'd heard running type F fluid has more grit to it and helps with less slipping. But you might wait for some expert tranny guys to chime in.
Old January 21st, 2011, 12:38 PM

Sounds like the bands are starting to go bad. There is a saying, "if the trans fluid hasn't been changed in 100k, then don't do it at all". Mainly because of all the friction stuff that is in the old fluid. I have seen trannys go a very long time (50K + miles) with a slip before the gear goes completely away. Best advice I can think of to give is to look for an automatic fluid additive that has friction modifiers in it and run it till the tranny fails, or get a tranny from a junk yard.
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:17 PM

The tranny hasn't been maintained religiously.. but it hasn't been neglected.
at 77K I changed filter and gasket with 4 fresh Quarts of oil.. the oil looked nice and pink
again about 135K still looked nice and pink.. and up until now it was a basic daily driver general get me back and forth to work..
and then at 140K it became my abuse car.. I deliver Pizza's in it and now with 172K the fluid is nice and brown and smelled burnt when changing the filter earlier this week.