Rebuild a Hurst Shifter??

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2014, 02:47 PM

Rebuild a Hurst Shifter??

Ok my question is, are there any service parts in the Hurst Shifter? Have you ever rebuilt one? I swapped shifters in the 442 and havent really road tested it yet but feels better in the short drive I did. The one there came from a parts car. It was very hard to get reverse at times and 1st was tricky at times. You would think you had it with a good solid throw and let out the clutch and have nothing but a little noise from the trans. Lastly It would jam as 2 gears were trying to engage at once. So the one there now was rebuilt by Hurst I was told, and the troublesome one I would like to rebuild possibly by me. I see you can still send them to Hurst but what exacty do they do for the 275 they charge?? Thanks! Anyone have info on this Competition Plus 4spd shifter?
Old August 24th, 2014, 02:57 PM

I have rebuilt several of them, first one was kind of a beeatch, but it's like anything, gets easier the more you do it. The main wear items are the thin shims that reside in the mechanism. The mechanism is also prone to inhaling any and all gunk that it can find. Being gummed up is usually the main cause of poor shifting. You can google a diagram / schematic. I have seen shims for sale recently on eBay. A couple of pointers, be sure to keep track of the orientation and order of the shims and levers as you disassemble the shifter, they only fit one way (properly anyway). If you have a media blaster, blast all of the levers and the housing. I put a coat of clear on the outside of the housing. Use a good white lithium grease when putting it all back together. Good luck.
Old August 24th, 2014, 07:59 PM

This might sound crazy, but I think Comp Plus shifters were guaranteed for life. I know Hurst is gone, I think Mr Gasket handles them now. I thought you could send them back and they would rebuild it. Not the chrome on the stick, but the shifter mechanism. Maybe somebody else here knows.
Old September 29th, 2014, 12:57 PM

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/shifter-rebuild-program/

-Michael
Old September 29th, 2014, 01:24 PM

manchester muncies rebuilt mine, very happy
JEFFSZAREK3_zps679704d0.jpg
Old October 4th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Trying to remember member

Thanks, Stan!
http://www.manchestermuncies.com/services

*Finally* somebody offering this service at a reasonable price.
I paid $40.00 in 1992. And sometime about 1998 or so? it was $75.00.
Then after a number of owners, Hurst went to NV and was bought by B&M. The cost went to $250.00 which was nothing more than an insult to Hurst owners.
Glad to know about Manchester Muncies and happy to spread the word.

Stan, with yours, what shifter body did they start with? An OEM shifter and added the stops? Was the handle rechromed? Mind telling us what the cost breakdown was?
Old October 4th, 2014, 08:58 AM

I had DME rebuild my Husrt Shifter, impeccable service.
DMELLC@suddenlink.net
606-237-6648
Old October 4th, 2014, 08:22 PM

the competition plus is not a factory olds installed piece it is aftermarket. odd it has hardly any numbers on it and i had to spend hours crossreferencing pics to make sure it was compatible with my console. the handle was rechromed also.it is labelled incorrect as its an early 66 ,not 65 handle. $150 was the total cost.the stops are original to the piece. i havnt drivin with it yet so i cant say if i can get third gear rubber now or not.
Old June 21st, 2016, 08:28 AM

I sent my shifter away to Manchester Muncies and its done and on the way back to me in less than a week. I did not read the fine print but the advertised 85 dollar rebuild is costing me close to 200 bucks. When it comes and I get the invoice I will itemize it. Seems every worn part adds to the cost. They seem friendly there and really quick turnaround and hope my shifting problems will finally be over.
Old June 25th, 2016, 05:00 AM

The shifter came back to me a few days ago along with the worn parts they replaced. I have yet to install it and am anxious to do so. So the advertised price of 85 dollars to rebuild the shifter is accurate. This is the labor charge with all parts at extra cost. It needed an upper main pin at 10 dollars, a shim pack $33.00, shifter handle isolator and shims $35, 3 bucks for the steel bushings for rods and I got 3 new G clips for a 3.75 total. Shipping was 16.80 for a total of 186.55.